Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ok this is somewhat unrelated but these two questions have been bugging me for a while (perhaps years). Why is it that, besides being blind or gay/bisexual, people with amateur radio licenses can nab a ridiculous amount of college scholarships? (When I first started applying to college, you wouldn't believe the number of scholarships for people in amateur radio I would find. I couldn't and still don't understand why.)

And another thing, for some reason in my state (Michigan) along with getting a special license plate to denote if you were a veteran of a past war or a POW, you can get a special plate that says amateur radio on it. (See a pic here: http://michigan.gov/documents/standard_collector_plate_application_49871_7.pdf) I guess I'm just surprised that you can do this?

Maybe this "hobby" (sorry not sure what term to use here) is just a lot larger/more popular than I think it is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

FuzzyBuddha posted:

In regards to scholarships, having attained an amateur radio license tends to show you have an understanding of electronics and the math related to it. A lot of the engineering students at our local campus tend to have ham radio licenses.

As for the ham radio callsign license plates, our state DMV allow them as special plates to signify vehicles equipped with amateur radios and thus available to assist in an emergency situation.

Ah, ok. That actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks.