Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I've added a link and mention of this thread to the OP of the SW thread, so we can all get a little cross-contamination going on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Just thought I'd check in from my isolated ivory tower of the SW listening thread. Still haven't bitten the bullet to get ham licensing (got laid off, can't get equipment), but the discussion here is fascinating.

Tragically, when I read thee technical discussion I keep thinking about margarita machines.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I know its a long time coming, but after much goading from his former ham (and pirate broadcaster) father and ham boss, SA SWL guru AstroZamboni is finally going to be taking his examinations for a technician license in 16 days!

[APPLAUSE]

My question to all of you experienced ham goons is this; I've been preparing for my exam using the flash cards and practice tests on this site. Would all of you say that this is a good study aid, or are there better practice tests out there?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

BigHustle posted:

I'm kind of surprised that I beat you over here.

I used the tests from QRZ and they weren't too bad. I think I got more out of getting the test question pools from ARRL and studying those. The QRZ tests seemed to focus on the same areas and I was a bit surprised when I got to the test and had more of the questions I thought were obscure than I did the ones I expected to see. I hadn't seen the KB0MGA site, but if you're learning the material it's gotta be good.

I still think you should study the General question pools and go for both at the same time. I studied Tech for about 2 weeks and General for 2 days and got both in one shot.

After going over the ARRL's pool, I've determined that the site I'm using is what I should continue using.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Sniep posted:

Depends, for a lot of it, yeah, just go ahead and memorize the answers. For the math related stuff, it's your choice between A) memorization and forgetting after you take the test (cramming) or B) actually trying to learn the equations and math behind those sections and potentially keep that knowledge.

To be quite honest, you will likely pass the exam with a higher score if you just memorize the question banks and go through the test a couple dozen times (if you feel like that kind of effort.)

But if you intend on making your own antennas and stuff, and getting deeper into the hobby then it would suit you well to actually try to learn what's behind the questions.

I already know the equations, so that part isn't an issue.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I'm taking my technician exam a week from tonight. I've got the entire loving question pool memorized at this point, and consistently score 100% on the practice exams, so I'm good to go.

Haven't taken the test yet, but I'm already preparing for the General portion. Should be ready by the next time my local ARC has an exam night.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I've decided I'm going to try for General on Monday night, not just Technician. I'm pretty drat sure I'll be ready by then. Get the champagne ready!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I have an HRO store about 25 minutes from me. Does HRO carry used equipment, and if so, what is the price/selection typically like?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Getting started on building my first piece of homebrew equipment: a morse keyer! I'm not about to spend 150 bucks on an ornate piece of idiocy when a morse key is the most basic electronic device on the planet.

This is still a work in progress. I'm just figuring out the overall design, and have yet to incorporate the wiring and electrical contacts. Once I have a final blueprint, I'm going to order a full set of the needed parts from bricklink in a uniform dark gray color so that I don't drain my stock of LEGO Technic components and large base bricks.

Click here for the full 783x630 image.

Click here for the full 936x515 image.

Click here for the full 810x589 image.

Click here for the full 781x579 image.

Click here for the full 969x722 image.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I'm adjusting the design slightly. I'm going to use longer Technic shock absorbers and glue the contact points directly into them. I'm using MLCAD (Mike's LEGO CAD) to keep track of the blueprint as it changes.

Hmmmm.... maybe if it works well, I could get the needed parts in bulk on Bricklink and sell finished ones at a markup...

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Finished! I'll upload pics tomorrow, as the batteries for my camera are charging. I also have a MLCAD blueprint for the LEGO components.

I abandoned the plan of incorporating the contacts into the Technic shock absorbers themselves as they would have been a little too flimsy. I ultimately used screws and nuts that interfaced pretty seamlessly with the Technic pieces for the contact points.

Also, how long after the exam does one typically have to wait before receiving the license?

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 19, 2010

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Just got home from taking my exam. Got 100% on both Technician and General elements. :smug:

You might as well add me to the OP. The VEs said I should be able to see my callsign on the database in about a week, and should receive my license in the mail in about 2. I'll post my callsign when I get it.

Now to start studying for the Extra!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Here's the finished LEGO morse key. I can't post a video of it in action because I don't have a video camera. Also, I didn't fully connect the wires because I'm going to redo the whole drat thing in industrial looking dark gray parts ordered from BrickLink.

Click here for the full 898x485 image.

Click here for the full 821x715 image.

Click here for the full 999x742 image.

Click here for the full 816x731 image.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I did a massive revision of the LEGO morse key and I'll post pics tomorrow. It is now much more compact and uses far less parts.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Just placed a Bricklink order of parts for the industrial-gray FINAL version of my Homebrew Morse key. Can I get a what what?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

xergm posted:

I also used these study guides, which are more or less glorified question pools with the wrong answers taken out, but some provide equations and things.

Technician Study Guide

General Study Guide

Extra Study Guide

The ARRL website was updated massively last week and these seem to have disappeared. This sucks, because I was going to start studying for extra...

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Wow! It only took 4 days for my callsign to appear in the ULS database!

KF7JKA

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I am also taking a long, hard look at the FT-817ND. Its the size of 4 stacked CD jewel cases, has coverage on all of the bands I'm interested in. I'm also primarily interested in QRP operation, so I think it would make a good all-in-one beginner radio. Not only that, but HRO sells it for only $570, and there's an HRO store in my city.

This homebrew antenna looks like it would be a good project for pairing with an FT-817ND. I built one of the guy's SWL magnetic loops this morning and it works like an absolute champ. My boss also told me that he's going to show me all the ins and outs of building old school homebrew antenna tuners, so that should be pretty schweet.

Edit: of course a used older model FT-817 without the 60 meter band might be a good option too, not to mention a hell of a lot cheaper.

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 26, 2010

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Here's a LEGOCAD rendering of the final design revision of the morse key, minus the wiring and contacts. The parts from bricklink should be arriving in the next day or two.

Click here for the full 794x579 image.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

My shipment of LEGO parts came in, and I finally finished the morse key 100% (applause)! All of the wiring/soldering is finished, and this thing might just be my LEGO masterpiece.

Click here for the full 783x549 image.

Click here for the full 903x378 image.

Click here for the full 1001x721 image.

Click here for the full 933x467 image.

Click here for the full 851x549 image.

When your LEGO models start to require a certain amount of proficiency with soldering, you begin to realize that you have reached a potentially dangerous level of geekdom and think that it may be time to take inventory of your life.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

nmfree posted:

So what exactly is the closing contacts on this? The threaded portions of the screws underneath the arm?

Also, you'll have to do some speed tests for us; it looks to me that the throw might be too long to comfortably get fast with (but I'm genuinely curious to see what the real-world performance would be like).

Those are, indeed, the closing contacts. As for speed, I'm not too concerned with speed at the moment. I'm just barely beginning to learn code, so accuracy is what I'm trying to be concerned with at the moment.

As it is now, I don't have any equipment apart from my SWL stuff, so I'm just connecting this to a practice oscillator my boss loaned me.

IonClash posted:

This would make a great cover article for QST. You should write it up and send in the pictures.

I might just give that a shot!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I'm going for Extra on the 17th.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

TC the Giant posted:

Nah, my walls are... uh, wall-stuff. I think my antenna(the MIRACLE WHIP, which I still owe Jose a "review" of) is too drat sensitive and is picking up everything going on. When I was just using a shortwave radio attached to a magnetic loop I could pick up all kinds of silly stuff from time to time.

Well, you can build a transmitting magnetic loop as well. It has the same deep nulls on either side and is specifically tailored for QRP operation. Really cheap to build, too.

http://kr1st.com/magloop.htm

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I've finally begun drafting my QST submission on the LEGO telegraph key in earnest. I'm up to 1 page (without photos) and I hope my wordsmithing is eloquent enough while still being accessible.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Blackmjolnir posted:

Well, this thread has convinced me to get my license. I started studying for the technician exam a couple days ago, but I figured I might as well go for my general while I'm at it. Taking the tests Thursday, hope they go well :unsmith:

This is definitely the way to go. Unlicensed to extra in one go is a tall loving order, but general on the first try isn't very hard at all. I got 100% on both elements. I'm studying for extra now.

Last week I went to my local club's (Superstition ARC in Arizona) field day event. My neighbor down the street (who has quite the impressive antenna farm on his roof) invited me. I got to operate on a couple of older Kenwood and Icom radios (the latter of which was attached to a bitchin' Slinky dipole strung between two trees) and made my first 4 contacts as a new ham!

Edited to add: In the last week I've been forced to relocate to Colorado Springs. Any Ham goons in the CO Spgs area?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Is there any reason why we can't have a legitimate Something Awful radiogoon net?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

LtDan posted:

At this point I think we could probably organize a club as well.

The minimum members to have a legitimate ARRL sanctioned club is 4. We could drat skippy start a club.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

nmfree posted:

Today's callsign of the day: W0TUP. :whatup:

W0RF is a pretty good one too. As is W0OT.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Rev Quackers posted:

I'm down to start a Goon Ham Radio Club

Who is with me? We need at least four people to join us!

I'm SO down.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Rev Quackers posted:

ok everyone who wants in on our Goon Ham Radio Club email me and i'll get the ball rolling.

kyle.hamilton AT gmail.com

Rev Quackers KG6BXW

Done!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Sniep posted:

Same thing here in Denver, there was quite a bit of traffic comparatively in OK when i was there, here in CO however other than a few weekly traffic nets that are over as soon as they start, and nobody hangs out afterwords, there is silence pretty much on all the repeaters. It sucks.

I just moved to the Springs. As soon as I have a transceiver, you'll have a hamgoon to chat with on the repeaters.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Definitely go for the highest level of licensing you can comfortably pass. I can't afford any equipment right now, but I went for general on my first try. With 2 weeks of preparation, general will be no sweat if you have brains at all.

I'm right now studying for Extra. Still no equipment.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I don't qualify for any kind of officership, since I don't have a neckbeard (neatly trimmed Van Dyke), I maintain proper hygiene, I don't drink soda (and don't even like Mountain Dew), and actually get dates occasionally.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I'm getting a Droid X next week, and I'm no longer constrained to using the internet on a communal family machine I can't install software on. So I sent in my info for SAARS. Listen soon for my callsign, KF7JKA.

Also, how much does the echolink app cost?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

nmfree posted:

On a lighter note, I got this month's issue of QST today, and there's a Lego straight key featured on page 20. I don't remember who here built it, but congrats on the mention+picture!

I'm the goon who made a LEGO straight key. I don't get QST (not an ARRL member yet) and I didn't send it in, so it either isn't mine or they printed it without my permission. If it IS mine... Well, I have some vaguely mixed feelings. I have a hunch that if it was printed, it didn't have proper attribution. I want to be able to get proper credit for it, not just have my poo poo plastered in a magazine leaving me to prove that it was mine. This is kind of important because I was planning to do a writeup to submit to QST about it. Now if I want to do that I'll have to jump through hoops to prove that I AM the guy who created it. Not a fun prospect.

I'm thrilled if my stuff is getting out there, but I'd be happier if I got credit is all. If it IS mine I'll be writing to QST and asking for some free copies.

Can somebody scan the page and post a jpeg of it? Or e-mail it to me? My e-mail address is schwartzobservatory (at) yahoo (dot) com.

(Edited for clarity)

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 11, 2011

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

That definitely isn't mine. Whew, I'm glad I don't have to fight them on it.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I just got a good USB mic and set up echolink on my PC, so if there are any goons who want to shoot the poo poo on the air, I'm KF7JKA and I'm on node 616843. Might be hopping on some repeaters here in a bit.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

wolrah posted:

I just fired EchoLink up for the first time in a while. KD8JQS #411670. I think some of my local repeaters are on EL, but I need to look that up again.

I opened hailing frequencies but you didn't answer. So it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Well gently caress. Now I'm cooking dinner.