Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

So I made this Internet-based morse code repeater and I'd love to get the feedback of any goons who have opinions.

https://vail.woozle.org/

It's supposed to work like a radio works: there's no indication of who's listening, whether anybody at all is connected, no fancy stuff to display the letters being sent. It's just a $7 altoids-tin CW transciever, except on the Internet and you can use your phone.

I can't copy morse code for the life of me, and it took me a full year to understand what this helpful Italian guy was trying to explain about how the Iambic input was messed up, so I really depend on the input of people who understand how things are actually supposed to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Oh, whoops, I posted to this thread and then immediately forgot I'd done so.

Today I added "virtual" repeaters that send fortunes with various inter-letter gap spacing multipliers, hoping maybe I could use this thing to try and not suck at copying. I probably did some other stuff, too. I forget now.

Vir posted:

This is easier to deal with than the CW-over-IRC solution that we've used before. Is it possible to change the key bindings for the keyboard keys?

What keys did you have in mind? I'll just add them on the sly.

You can spin up new repeaters just like IRC channels. Just type a new name in for the repeater name, and then you can share that URL. I think I added this today.

thehustler posted:

Seems to be a little bug sometimes where I trigger the iambic keyer with the keyboard when it isn't selected, cruft?

Edit: Like in a loop

Edit 2: Also a "cancel input" toggle would be fantastic if I just want to listen but open new tabs. That's how I may be toggling the loop.

I bet you were holding down shift or Ctrl, which this morning were like straight and iambic keys, but I have since unbound. Let me know if it keeps happening and we can begin the debugging dance, which everybody hates.

Those keys would sometimes get hit, and then you move away from the window while they're still down, and it never gets the "I let go of the key" event to stop sending. There are ways to deal with this but it's easier to just disable those keys, which hopefully works.

But you don't have to select the Iambic tab to send it, you can just start wailing away on your preferred keys as soon as the page loads. That tab is mostly there for mobile devices.

copen posted:

W0TDF, pretty poor sending on my part though so good job hah. I really want to get the arduino controller to hook up my paddles now.

The arduino thing makes it way cooler: you don't have to keep the browser window focused and you can open an editor or whatever. If you have a USB musical keyboard, you can use that too:

C - straight key
C# - dit
D - dah

You can also use a gamepad. I've tested with an XBox controller, Logitech somethingorother, Nintendo Switch Pro, and an 8bitdo tinything. I'm pretty sure nearly every USB gamepad will work. But the MIDI instrument (which the Arduino thing shows up as) is the A+ pro interface since it lets you minimize the browser if you want.

thehustler posted:

Weirdly it’s international morse code day apparently

.-.. --- .-..

cruft fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 28, 2021

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

cruft posted:

You can spin up new repeaters just like IRC channels. Just type a new name in for the repeater name, and then you can share that URL. I think I added this today.

The reason I mentioned this is in case someone wanted to make a Goon CW repeater.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

thehustler posted:

Can I post this to #AmateurRadio #HamRadio Twitter yet? :)

Edit: Iambic keying is so much nicer than straight oh my GOD.

Of course. Please tag me so I can follow, i PMed my Twitter username.

The main complaint people seem to have is that there's nobody to talk to. I just don't know where to post the flyers to get attention. I'm an asocial computer nerd, see.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

thehustler posted:

I'd put it on Reddit too, I don't think you'll get swamped. The subreddits for amateur and ham radio there are popular but not THAT popular.

Also some Facebook groups if you're into that.

It's on Twitter now, though!

Thanks! Maybe we'll get a few more users; but we need two people actively hoping to have a conversation :)

I've been listening and it sounds like there are several people connected, but nobody wants to venture talking.

I expect this is similar to the actual airwaves. Speaking from personal experience, I'm not comfortable trying to talk to somebody who's clearly sending 8-12 times faster than I can copy. I decide I need more practice, resolve to practice more, other stuff happens, and I'm forever lurking on my own repeater.

Like, someone just sent a CQ on General Chaos that I only understood because I've heard CQ so many times. I have no idea what came after that, and the mental hurdle of engaging that person in a conversation was just too great, so I stayed quiet.

This may be why things like morsecode.me and vband have more users: they ease barriers to entry.

Last night my dad suggested a toggleable thing to highlight on the dichotomous key what's being sent. I feel like that might help.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

thehustler posted:

I keep calling CQ randomly to see if folk reply. I had one person reply this morning with nothing useful so that was probably off Twitter.

You probably heard me and I am very happy to go much slower as I just know that CQ call off by heart and I really don't rattle the rest off that quick :p

Sat on now if you want...

Edit: Your Dad is clever, very good suggestion for learning, along with a local-sounding option only "Inhibit PTT" or something.

The new "Fortunes" repeaters are local only. Once a fortune is done rattling off, you'll have up to a minute of empty time to play around.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

thehustler posted:

60 mins of morse with copen on Vail has done more for my CW skills in that hour than I thought possible. Thanks, cruft.

Edit: Then we all listened to manero in a park

:woop:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Crusader posted:

without a radio for the moment but trying to decode swradiogram over websdr has been fun

when im not accidentally turning the moon into a potato that is

The potato moon is probably in a prophecy somewhere. Best be careful around toadstools and metallic chairs for the next week.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

copen posted:

Got an arduino in the mail today and hooked up my key. Got a few more bits coming in the mail to add the straight key and put it in a little box. Thanks cruft!

Sweet! Looks great, and really helps drive home the "this is not difficult to set up" message. Can I put your photo in the README?

I'm pretty sure my latest code will work on VBand too, with no modifications. It'll also work on BandLab, if you want to record some music with only three notes ;)

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

thehustler posted:

Finally got that data-mode board fabbed and they're outstandingly cool. I picked red for the first time and it's come out great. Soldered and worked first time (it is very simple, of course).

Just need to order the optocoupler and USB to Serial adapter to make the automatic PTT work, for now the slide-switch is still used. Made for TRRS to use with laptops or tablets.

Best thing is with JLCPCB's way of doing orders I have 4 spares to give out or use as backups.

That's really nice looking.

Tell me about the board fab process, because I am just about ready for this with the electronic bagpipes I've been designing. What did you use to lay the board out?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

thehustler posted:

I made a PowerPoint for my local club which I may present when we get back up and running after Covid: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7jgzzqsf5ahdn62/Moving%20to%20PCB%20Construction.pptx?dl=0

Essentially it’s all in there but Kicad for schematic capture and PCB design and FreeCAD for mechanical integration

Dang, you just happened to have a presentation put together answering my exact question!

I installed Kicad, kicked the tires for 30 minutes, and decided I was too dumb to figure it out. But I'll give it another shot!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

I'll put good money on the 'reverse polarity protection diode' fritzing out. See if you can track that down and inspect, i bet it's failed closed-in-both-directions.

I did a stupid "how many volts is too many" thing with my Yaesu, and it make smoke come out, and replacing the fuse was not enough.

It wound up being the zener diode, which I replaced, and now everything works great again.

During the diagnosis and repair, I learned that the only reason the zener diode was put on the board was so it would destroy itself if an idiot like me were to provide too much voltage. The zener diode is a special little bugger, which fails closed. So you get one rated for like 18 volts, and then when some jackass puts 19 volts into your thing rated at 10-15 volts, the zener diode fails, suddenly there's a short circuit, and the fuse blows. It's pretty clever!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

hahah, yeah. That's traditionally called a crowbar circuit (because if the voltage rises too high, a 50 amp Astron lets a zener diode 'drop a crowbar on the terminals') but outsourcing the VERY IMPORTANT 'fuse before the crowbar' part is pretty novel.

I guess if you leave the fuse out and short the zener diode, you have a "somebody else's problem" circuit.

Maybe a "lol I hope you have a switching power supply" circuit?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

thehustler posted:

I think D2 and D6 in the schematic may be the diodes I need to look at. I think I have identified where they are on the PCBs so now it’s just a case of disassembling the boards :-/

So, probes on each side, and if they make my meter buzz in both directions the diode has failed, right? And my meter has to be diode test mode? Never checked one before.

If those are broken I’ll see what I can replace them with, but I also assume some wire or a blob of solder if possible would also do it? And then no more pissing shout with it ever again, Christ...

I'm pretty sure you need to take the diodes out in order to test them. I had to, anyway.

And just get the replacement part, don't jury rig your protecting circuit.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

thehustler posted:

Update: this is too small, I’m bailing before I break it more. How much are F6/F7s worth for parts? :v:

This is your chance to learn SMD soldering! Go get a gikfun kit on Amazon and some flux and maybe a new tip, and go nuts!

My bad diode wound up being a big ol through hole component. But now I know how to do surface mount work, and I'm really glad I do.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Sniep posted:

well what ARE the mfj products that are plain looney?

coldjoint mcarc?

Seems the message was toned down on the web site:

https://mailchi.mp/67ff28081dd0/pep-le-pew

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Vir posted:

In other Elmer Fudd news, I'm now "elmering" a new ham, and that is fun.

I certainly hope you're using the accent.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Just got my monthly hosting bill for Vail:

Turns out running a repeater for one of the lowest bandwidth communication media ever devised is pretty cheap.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

LimaBiker posted:

I can either get on air with 5ish watts on 80, 40 and 30m - or via Telegram or something.

Oh, buddy, do I have something fun for you!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

PSA: .radio domains are 25 euros a year if you're registering your callsign. There are a few other ways to get the ~90% discount, but this is the one I care about

You need to go through register.radio to get the discount - all the other registrars i checked like Gandi only sell for the full-price 200-something euros/year.

register.radio makes you fill in your contact info for the various WHOIS contacts, but don't expose that information after registering - I emailed to ask because I didn't see a whois privacy thing during checkout.

anybody wanna buy me vail.radio? :)

e: don't anyone actually do this, please.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

Welcome! Always glad to have another. good choice on the 705, it's a very cool rig.

So, tell us about your modular synth that i am sure you own

I'm building an electronic bagpipe that uses FM Synthesis! Does that count?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

When I first started my current job, I and another guy were put out into some barracks until they could get office space set up for us. We didn't have much to do.

He spent the entire time taking practice tests, over and over, for weeks. He got to where he could recognize questions based on the shape of the text or diagram features, and could pick the right answer, also based on shape. One of his goals in this exercise was to never read anything, and he never did.

He got his license the next week.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Motronic posted:

bad with computers old men who can't figure out how to parse the radioid.net csv into whatever their programming software needs.

This is 100% the demographic most likely to reuse passwords, but it sounds like the site admin is assigning immutable passwords on account creation... that's honestly not a bad idea for said demographic.

It's also the demographic that's most susceptible to scammers, though.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

horse_ebookmarklet posted:

maybe i can bring this to market

(thanks to cursedcables twitter).

This is a really strange design for an antenna.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Just renewed my license and boy howdy is CORES a byzantine maze.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

yoloer420 posted:

I don't have my licence yet (exam on November 8th) so I've just been listening. A bunch of guys on a local 2M repeater were taking about getting RF burns from home made antennas. Is this really a thing? How can this be avoided?

I thought this was part of the technician exam.

Yes, RF emissions can heat up the meat you are made of. There are distances you need to keep from various frequencies at various power levels. They're published in a table.

When I was studying for my license, i remembered this as "don't stick the antenna up your nose while transmitting".

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

yummycheese posted:

lol good ol’ hams I guess. The easiest way is dont touch the exposed metal wire portion of antenna.

:stonk:

It didn't even occur to me people might be touching bare metal on a transmitting antenna. Holy crap.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I made these christmas tree lights using WS2811 strand lights. They just flash pretty colors, but my dad suggested one should flash out morse code holiday messages, so I implemented that.

It got me to thinking maybe some ham operators would appreciate a controller program that flashes THE ENTIRE TREE in morse code. Like, it'll pick a random light and start flashing out a message in one of the colors. This would all happen asynchronously, so there'd be like 30 lights flashing out different messages at any given time, all independent of each other.

The overall effect would be twinkling, but people who are HUGE NERDS would be able to focus on a single bulb and get a little message out of it.

It'd also be pretty easy to make a menorah do this, by flickering between bright and not-as-bright. I could even have it connect to wifi to get the current date and light the appropriate number of candles automatically.

Before I launch into all this work, is there anyone at all ITT who'd be interested in such a thing?

cruft fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 10, 2021

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

Fortunately we have this humdinger of a radio noise source that you will see for several hours every day. Real bright, follows a well-defined path, and if it's daylight out it's guaranteed to be there!

If you're talking about my uncle Floyd, he stopped nude sunbathing every day after the 4th melanoma excision.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

The Vail app (Internet Morse Code) I posted about a while back has been getting steady updates. Yesterday I released version 2 of the hardware adapter, to make it even easier to program and set up.

Some video walkthroughs:

Vail is a free service run by yours truly, available at https://vail.woozle.org/. We now have our own (tiny) Discord, run by one of the users.

If you're interested in learning Morse Code, and want the real experience of transmitting over radio waves / wires / light -- that is, you don't want the computer to decode/encode stuff on your behalf -- Vail might be for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

:swoon: