Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harpsychord
Jan 13, 2008
Is it possible to take all the class exams (Technician, General, Extra) one right after another the same day? From what I can tell I have a good month+ before the next exam in my area and I wouldn't mind studying for all three in the mean time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harpsychord
Jan 13, 2008
I will most likely be taking the Technician and the General class exams rather than all three on the same day (hopefully mid-June). Can anyone recommend a good HT or a good (but not expensive...I'm a college student) mobile that can do HF frequencies so I can get the most out of my license?

EDIT: Guess I'm going to be looking for a mobile transceiver. I really want to try out some of the data capabilities in the amateur bands. Can anyone suggest a good (and inexpensive) transceiver for that?

Harpsychord fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 27, 2008

Harpsychord
Jan 13, 2008

blugu64 posted:

Pick one.

Also there arn't any HF HTs that are Transievers (that I know of), though I've seen a few that can do RX on the HF bands.

However the closest thing I can think of to what you are asking is the Yaesu FT-817. It's a QRP HF-70cm (I'm not sure about 60m, 6m, and 1.25m) and I've seen them go used for low $400s. It is also mobile and has internal batteries that you can run it on, only 5watts though.

EDIT: For the time being, it would have to be inexpensive (Less than $300).

I think I've looked at that one. I think I may just start with a simple FM mobile/HT system and will probably upgrade to that (I should probably start small to begin with just in case I don't enjoy amateur radio as much as I think I'm going to). I think to start I will grab a Yaesu VX-7R. Thanks for the suggestion!

Harpsychord
Jan 13, 2008
Ok, I'm finally getting off my rear end and getting myself licensed. Thankfully there are 2 organizations doing exams (ARRL and W5YI) in Austin, TX so I don't have to worry about not being able to get into an exam. I'll be taking the Technician exam this Saturday through W5YI. Already got my FCC FRN too.

Edit: Any Austin, TX HamGoons on here?

Harpsychord
Jan 13, 2008
Took and passed my technician exam. Woohoo!

EDIT: Now I need a decent radio. Any suggestions?

Harpsychord
Jan 13, 2008
I really like the idea of using an HT as my main radio for the time being. I'm already studying for my General exam and do anticipate getting into the HF bands for data (I would love to set up a netbook and an HT out in the field). I'll still probably buy a dual-band while I get my feet wet, but what is the best tri-band HT that I can use for data (and how would I go about hooking up said HT into my comp)?

Harpsychord
Jan 13, 2008
drat the FCC can haul rear end on new licenses.

My callsign is KF5DER. :woop:

Harpsychord
Jan 13, 2008

TNLTRPB posted:

Once you get setup with radio(s), hop on the Saltgrass Link System. I monitor that thing most every day in the mornings between 0800 and 1100 depending on the day, then again in the afternoons after 1400. Sometimes though, the regulars get on there and you can't get a word in edgewise, but there are times during the day (and particularly at night) that it's quiet enough for the rest of us to use it.

Edit: And if you want to coordinate a QSO, I can PM or email you with my contact information and callsign.

Sounds good to me. I should have a radio at the end of the week (yay for some old debts being repaid to me).

Harpsychord
Jan 13, 2008
I have enough money now to afford my first HT though I'm having a debate with myself. The local radio store here has the Icom IC-T7H Sport dual-band 6w HT for $170 whereas the price for the FT-60R is still $185. Should I still get the FT-60R?

Harpsychord
Jan 13, 2008
Well drat, the FT-60R is $170 over at Gigaparts. Time to order.

EDIT: It's done. I should have a new FT-60R at my doorstep next week.

Harpsychord fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 24, 2009

Harpsychord
Jan 13, 2008
Stay away from GigaParts - they do not trust their customers at all. I'm having issues getting my FT-60R thanks to UPS trying to deliver while I'm at work. GigaParts refuses to have UPS hold the package for pickup (apparently they've been burned too many times via PayPal, which is odd considering that's the only thing they accept payments through).

EDIT: Supposedly they take other payments, but don't advertise it well. They lose my business nonetheless.

EDIT2: Apparently putting down "Adult Signature Only" means that if UPS ships while you're at work...you'll never get any packages from them since GigaParts refuses to allow pickup at a UPS hub. Epic fail. The radio heads back tomorrow and they will start a refund for me. Universal Radio for sure now.

Harpsychord fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 29, 2009

Harpsychord
Jan 13, 2008
My FT-60R is on its way back to GigaParts. Being unable to get it delivered to my address at a time where I'd be at home seems to be impossible.

On that note I went for a VX-3R I found for $145. I'll probably eBay the power adapter for my car and home so I can get the full 3w 2m, 2w 70cm. I'm not really looking for a powerhouse (my main hobby is computers) but something I can use to talk on the local repeaters. EDIT: The wide-band receive is a big plus too.

I also already bought a new antenna (RH-77CA), SMA to BNC adapter, a BNC antenna window-mount (hooks onto your side window) and an aftermarket hand-mic/speaker. I figure all of this should be more than enough for a casual user.

Harpsychord fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 30, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harpsychord
Jan 13, 2008
Got my VX-3R, sweet gentle jeebus this thing is tiny! I can hear repeaters quite well but haven't tried to make a contact yet. Gonna listen in a bit more then start talking.