Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I have finally set up my radio the way i wanted.

1x kx3
1x behringer sound card
1x signalink usb
1x power supply
9999x cables

HDSDR+RMS Express+LP-BRIDGE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
Somebody once told me that vhf packet link (winlink usage) is limited to 2 jumps. Is that true because the planned route between these radio clubs need 3 jumps. :/

A>R>R>R>B

R: repeater

also: updating age old supermicro server with windows update having a memory leak. Kill me.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
When i am using my KX3 i experience some strange noise at certain thresholds.

Why does 1 khz have so much effect on noise floor??

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

filters get switched in and out, it's not an uncommon thing. my ic-746 does the same thing on the transition from 3699 to 3700 khz

Thats probably it. Its in very specific frequencies so its not a big deal but my rfi ocd was acting up.

cursedshitbox posted:

Original ni-cad capacity was 500mAh, new capacity is 8400mAh. It's wired in series as a 3S configuration running 9-12 volts. The radio uses 1350mAh in UHF mode to transmit, 150mAh to receive. In a perfect situation it'll net a little over six hours transmit time and 56 hours receive time.

:eyepop:

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Nov 5, 2018

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I am getting a Zodiac P-6002 and i was wondering what way there is to change frequency since it is just outside the CB band :/

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I have the radio now and its imported by Bjørn Dich Røstad. It says on the back that the frequency range is 26.965-27.225. Maybe it was modded to conform to Norways cb band :/

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

longview posted:

There's a good chance the radio was sold as a CB radio then IMO.

If the importer/dealer installed the crystals for CB and tuned it they would also have adjusted the power etc. compared to a hypothetical commercial use case that might want something else.

From what I know back when CB was used a lot in Norway the authorities would mainly just check that radios only transmitted on the allocated channels and that the output power was within spec.

I have a fully usable AM radio but its useless in this age. :(

edit: Maybe i could rig microphone and speaker with signalink usb and do some digital mode stuff

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 21, 2018

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
Does anybody know what this port is and the specs for it? For some reason its difficult to find information about ca. 40 year old radios :/

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Motronic posted:

Looks like a pretty standard speakermic connector.

hmmm, is it some sort of DIN type?

edit: oh boy, the frequency drift over the years on this bad boy is insanse.

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 22, 2018

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
What is a relatively cheap and simple way to separate ethernet from computer? I am running Raspberry Pi 3 and spyserver on battery without display.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

galvanic isolator etc etc

Crankit posted:

If you're having ethernet crap up your 10Mhz and harmonics, try a wifi dongle?

I prefer wired.

tired: wifi
wired: wired

edit: I found out that one can use octocouplers or fiber.

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 5, 2018

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Partycat posted:

Are you getting enough RF in to disrupt it ?

Shield your equipment ?

That RF is in everything else if you’re blowing Ethernet link as well.

I havent thought about shielding my equipment. It always seemed so tinfoil your houseish. JK.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I found out about sfp+ active optical cable so i am going for fiber media converter solution.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Motronic posted:

I just looked that up as I was completely unaware of them, and even after reading several manufacturer's sites touting how much better they are than twinax DACs I still can't figure out a use case for them that isn't better served with multimode SFP+es an a multimode jumper.

(the only real reason to use twinax DACs is cost - and the cost of optics + cable doesn't seem much different than an active optical cable. With the optics+cable solution you have easier cable runs, the ability to use "parts you should already be stocking as spares" and choose your cable length from your box of "other parts you should be stocking as spares")

i live on disability pension. i am not a rich person :/

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

sounds like fiber is exactly the network technology for you then!!!

edit: oops i stepped on it again

I pay half the usual tax in December so i can afford a little more quality than dollar store itams.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Motronic posted:

Okay...maybe we're missing each other here.

1.) a twinax dac will not solve your problem and
2.) two SFPs and a piece of multimode costs the same or less than this things you found. Because that's what it is, just with the fiber permanently connected.

The rest of the content was commentary on how, as someone who does datacenter buildouts for a living, I don't understand the application/advantage for those things.

Same or less? Then i will use two sfps and multimode solution, since i can have custom length.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Sniep posted:

i can't tell the difference between it any any other ham s/w UI/UX

it's all poo poo

you just learn where the brain genious put the buttons that do the things and dwi, as far as i am concerned

hdsdr good for compability with radio program software / radios and hamrig control
sdr# good for waterfall pretty and spyserver streaming and plugins

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

longview posted:

Update: the $10 gigabit media converters work great with $1 4G FibreChannel SFP modules, making this by far the cheapest way to get fiber ethernet somewhere.
The electronics are cheap enough that the cost of multimode vs. single mode fiber cables is significant.

LINK PLEASE :eyepop:

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

longview posted:

SFP Fiber media Converter to RJ45 Gigabit Media Converter SFP 10/100/1000M
Same one that I bought except this one has a case around it (which adds around $1 per unit).
I'd throw the power supply they include in trash as usual, I've got mine powered via USB right now.

I used DS-SFP-FC4G-SW SFP modules that were used for 4 Gbit/s FibreChannel storage arrays, but SFPs are simple enough that they'll mostly Just Work even if they're not explicitly sold for something.
The exception is name-brand network gear, which will check the internal EEPROM to make sure the module says it's made by the right brand and possibly also the right model (it's an I2C EEPROM, so reprogramming it to say whatever you want is usually simple). In this case these things don't care what you plug in, so almost anything rated for 1Gbit/s or higher will work.

LOT OF 10 Cisco DS-SFP-FC4G-SW
Here's a chinese seller that has a 10-pack for $7 with free shipping.

Once you've got that you need a multi mode lc-lc duplex cable. I've got these right now:
3 meters LC-LC Multimode Fiber Optic Cable Duplex 10 Gigabit

I've also ordered: 10M OM3 Laser LC-LC 10 Gb Duplex 50/125 for longer stretches.

If you want to chain multiple cables together there are special adapters:
LC-LC /PC Multimode Simplex Coupler

With multimode, cleaning is less critical than single mode and for short runs like I'm assuming you're after it's probably fine to not have special cleaning tools. The old-school trick to cleaning is to dab the tip of the fiber against the sticky side of normal office tape, and it's fairly effective (just never re-use the same spot).

If you want to do 50m+ runs I'd suggest that getting single mode SFPs off AliExpress is better, the cost per meter of multimode is significantly higher in bulk but the SFPs are much more expensive ($10+ per unit is typical).
The SFPs I linked report their max link length as 150 meters, but for ethernet and modern multimode fiber that number will probably be higher in practice.

Thanks man, this is extremely cheaper than my bad not efficient solution.

edit: 40$ for everything. 17-26 days, isolation here i come!

i only need 1-2 meter of cable since i can stash the raspberry underneath the sofa with the router.

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 23, 2018

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

longview posted:

Glad to help, to be sure, you did buy two media converters right?

Also under the sofa is not the right place for a router or anything powered - if anything catches fire under there it will go from minor to house-destroying in no time - please move your router :)

yes two. i never thought about routers catching fire, i will move it so i dont lose all my gamer pc and radios.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I was thinking about buying power line filters since my power grid is noisy. Do they work effectively?

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
Thanks to longview i now have COMPLETE ISOLATION on my rasp pi/airspy hf+ rig. It is in fact so isolated that i now notice several NEW sources of noise that was drowned out before.

My pc monitor is causing the noise floor to go up when increasing brightness or putting it on game mode. My cheap universal laptop charger is in fact so noisy that my long wire antenna picks it up even from my bedroom lol.
And my old router (that also use a universal power adapter) is also radiating noise.

I am gonna replace the power supplies and router with something less noisy, but its already INSANELY GOOD* receiving conditions with airspyhf+, i can even see signals from 1mhz to 4mhz.

*your definition of IG may vary depending on user experience

and FULL IQ LEATHER BELT? AUGHH! 660khz bandwidth? Ughaughhh.

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 10, 2019

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

MullardEL34 posted:

Welp, the recent snows caused a huge tree limb to fall and take out my 150ft End-Fed Half Wave dipole. It happened once last year but I was able to fix it with a Lineman's splice soldered with a cigar torch and heatshrinked. Of course, the splice held up fine. I'd fix it now but it's about 8 degrees F outside and most of it is lost under two feet of snow. I really should have went for the heavier gauge radiator, or ran the antenna out of the drop zone of my lovely Tulip Poplar that loses limbs like an untreated leper every time the wind blows. Doing so wasn't really practical because the tree is like 130ft tall and towers over my entire yard. Oh well.

That reminds me of my radio mast that i bought 2 years ago. It was the cheapest one i could find and now the screws are rusty and the plastic rings holding the telescopic elements are degrading fast. It collapse slowly. I should have bought a more sturdy mast considering i live in northern norway.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

That looks like a good idea. Once its no longer cold and windy and lots of snow i will see if there is metal long pieces to get. i write excellent.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
eshail satelitte is up and it is intruiging.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

holy poo poo there are so many hams on my TL talking about completing contacts, including digital tv, with super modest setups. i've got hemisphere jealousy

i am barely in range of eshail (northern norway) so idk if its worth investing money into gigahertz equipment.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

whyyyyyy

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

longview posted:

Looks a little bit like STANAG 4197, but could be anything with digital coding + fading too.

Those signals are pretty strong in parts of Norway since the military seems to operate a HF network at several sites with very powerful transmitters that could cause intermod.

But if it's intermod they should move around based on the SDR tuning so that's pretty easy to test for (unless the receiver is single band only).

Sometimes military traffic is so strong it just destroys the entire band i am listening to. It was particulary bad during the joint military exercise recently. Pilots here are annoyed with the russian gps jamming so radio amateurs are not the only ones complaining.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I am trying to influence the local ham club to set up similar things for ham satellite use so i also can get on that MFer satellite!

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

tfw there is activity on ham bands

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

mycomancy posted:

What band and where are you to be getting all those hamwaves coming at ya?

20 meter, there was a contest somewhere in europe and i live in northern norway. Usually its real quiet :/

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

manero posted:

Nice radio, Jonny! I'm running a TS-590S, and I get jealous of everybody with band scopes or IQ outputs on their radios. I'm tempted to sell it and put the money towards an amp for my KX3.

The 9700 looks awesome as hell, I don't do nearly enough VHF/UHF SSB or satellites to justify it.

It owns that one can see the invisible world and gain dark and forbidden knowledg- whops wrong thread

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

mycomancy posted:

You're not. Go on...

Listen in on 420mhz at 04:20 with bandwidth at 4.20khz while being 420. :420:

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
"Remember the Rule of 3.

iii%"

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
Winlink VHF Packet station wont hear my packets anymore but i can see the beacon signal.
I havent changed anything so whyyyyyy??? :negative: I have calibrated my signal and its maoedulating p. nicely.

so much for worlds northernmost Winlink RMS :/

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Partycat posted:

If they are running a TNC can you talk to it ? Is it in a network maybe you can get near it and grab MHEARD or something ?

I am gonna try and rig usb signalink and baofeng and send packets. I can see the volume indicator turn up when it receives my signal and the tnc is activated in RMS.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Partycat posted:

Oh you’re running it . I have no idea how software TNC emulation works to be honest .

Kantronics KPC3s should be cheap as dirt since no one cares about packet BBS any more - we use those for winlink email and whatever other packet here

Nah, the station is running in the clubhouse and the log window for connections is always displayed on a pc screen. It is using a KPC3 incidentally tho.
Anyway voxing with baofeng and signalink was more trouble than its worth, not surprising.

I know its probably just some obscure radio amateur thing that is the reason for my problems so it makes it pretty irritating :/

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Partycat posted:

Well, I’m not super familiar with Winlink but I can ask my winlink guy anything. Normally the issue is that the TNC is hosed up or someone touched the link radio so it is doing tone decode or is on a split program or something.

yeah... sysop is on vacation lol. I think ill wait for him to return, the last thing i will do before that is to try peer to peer connection and see if i actually can send good packets to someone else.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I have started ordering parts for ES HAIL 2 U satellite use and i was wondering if anybody have used a transverter that goes from 144ish to 2.4 ghz and can tell me if there is something i should know before i try to buy on.

(mods change thread name to ES'HAIL 2 U, u know u want 2)

edit: while checking for airspy firmware at https://airspy.com/airspy-hf-plus/ i did a double take at the title

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
Today i got an 80 cm dish for SATELLITE COMMUNICATIONS! SPACE! SCIENCE!

I hope calibrating the dish against eshail 2 wont be a long and tedious job.