Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I was thinking of calibrating ic-910h so the sensitivity isnt so low but i did not have all the SSG's and whatnot so i shelved that idea. But now i just remembered that i had an IF tap installed so i calibrated for IF gain and now i actually have a decent signal strength(?) and there is no longer a lot of HF signals coming through lol (IF frequency is 10.85).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
trying to get g-5500 to communicate with kr-600 but the rotor only goes one way. to make things complicated kr-600 uses terminal 2-7 and 7 is connected to 3 somehow? while g-5500 have separate circuits for terminals 1-3 and 4-6.
why cant it just be number x go to number x??? :negative:

also the socket on kr-500 was switched out for a mil standard socket so the 7 pin rotator plug i ordered didnt fit. had to order a new socket. thats the price for using equipment made and used by old dead radio amateurs i guess.

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 9, 2023

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
Reading this i am glad i just had to get 1 exam for everything all at once. Top US ham grade better than generic class Norway ham.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I ground everything. ground coax before it enters house. ground all radios.

edit: and remove animals from your devices.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

yummycheese posted:

nice. I got a gen 1 sdrplay free from a friend and it is so much more capable than a rtl-sdr that its hard to even comprehend.

way less susceptible to reflections and overload than the rtl-sdr. seems to be way more sensitive too.

would not hesitate to get one of the newer models.

i ordered rtl-sdr v4 and i hope it is an improvement over v3. but sdrplay is way better across the board, agree.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

you probably want to read up a bit more on it. the answer is because it's not like any other device. i don't mean it's magic and special, just that:

dang, all the poorly (minimum usable product) coded projects by various ham people to decode various things must be updated :/

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

I once had a sweet ground system consisting of three ground rods spanning two sides of the house, with the rods bonded to each other with a solid copper strap that itself was slightly buried. The circuit breaker panel and water service pipe were connected to this. Antennas were grounded against this system at a wall panel where the feed lines went into the house. So everything was tied together into a single overkill system.

It worked well, for example a few months after this was all set up, a tree limb had fallen in a storm on the overhead electrical cable to the house and the service neutral was disconnected. The only symptom over the following few weeks was that the microwave wasn't working right, everything else was the same. Was about to get a new microwave until when on a hunch I found that an outlet on the same circuit had a ~15v voltage drop when the seemingly faulty microwave was running, at which point I found the dangling connection out by the street.

I have been looking for a while for a metal box that i could centralize all ground and plug connections. I am looking for something a little bigger since i want to install filters etc. Not having to grovel on the ground outside in -15 celsius under the porch trying to put ground cables and switch out coax plugs and cables would be lovely.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
any way it can be offline or running own server? i dabble in sambandstjenesten so i try to keep everything functional offline.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

drunk mutt posted:

Tell me more.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

I'll grab some clips this afternoon. It's pretty straightforward

did you grab the wrong kind of clip and unalive yourself? :ohdear:

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
Built a cubical quad yagi yesterday. should have used thinner copper wire then it would have been easier to make a rectangle out of it.
i dont know the science behind it but a common mode choke 1:1 balun made swr better.

edit: ITS TAPE!
edit2: drilling by hand makes it difficult to have a true straight through alignment for the wooden garden sticks. had to stick pieces of bamboo to adjust the sticks.

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 28, 2024

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

Antennas are basically magic to me. I've never heard of a cubical quad before. Looks great! What's the use case? Or is it just for fun?

its just like a yagi but teoretically it would perform a little better.

The antenna i made is for 2 meter vhf band. Tested it with winlink packet and it worked great.
It is relatively easy to switch between horizontal and vertical polarization by just moving the feed point from the vertical stick to the horizontal stick.
or maybe i can make some complicated dual feed setup for remote switching idk. something like that is probably invented in like 1910, like almost all other radio tech lol.

edit: at higher frequencies you can buy antennas like that but it is a circle instead. here is a high weed thought. magnetic loops. array stacked. O_O
Someone make the science right now!

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

drunk mutt posted:

Isn't the "quad" setup something that is good for things like EME/Meteor scatter type work?

if i get a longer boom i might try 9 element quad yagi and see if it might work for such things.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
new craze have hit the music market.

uuuiiiuuuiiiuuuiiiiiiiiuuuuuuooooooooiiiiiiiiiuuuuuu

WOW!

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
Its difficult to find crossover plate with u shaped fasteners or something in norway. It looks like vertikal to horizontal antenna mounting products died when people just use internet and not yagi antennas :/

or i just dont know what kind of norwegian words we use for such things.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

The norwegian words might be "en unnskyldning for å kjøpe en fresemaskin".

i bought a huge steelplate from biltema and someone i knew cut up several small steel plates for me. Radio amateurs accumulate a lot of metall over the years.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

Also the ic-7300 is the best radio of all time, i have a yaesu ft1000mp but i use my 7300 way more

Hell yease.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I have set up rotator for satellite use and tested it. It worked but i discovered i need to use other type of clamps for my yagi antenna (square boom). and i put the antennas the wrong way so when i want more elevation it stops. classic noob mistakes. also need to consider how to put the cables for the rotator so that it can rotate 360 degrees freely. I am happy i put it 1.5 meters over ground so it is easy to test and fix things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I am going to try greencube today and see what happens. Hope i dont burn up a hole in the satellite because of too much watt.