Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
My point in asking the fire department is that when I was an emergency management coordinator I had instituted a station for the local ARES/RACES people in the EOC, primarily to coordinate their volunteers on the street and to relay back information from shelters on check-ins, etc directly to the EOC but they also always had an extra radio on 146.520 and FRS channel 20 in case someone called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Dineren posted:

That's what I thought. Kind of weird it passed inspection without a mention in 2008 with all these 3 prong outlets that apparently have no ground. Would've thought that would be a red flag.

Not sure what you mean by "passed inspection" but old building do not have to be brought up to modern code for any reason with only a very very few exceptions and almost all of them are for commercial. If it was code when it was built, or built before code, it is what it is.

That being said, I don't see why you can't run a power supply on a 2 prong outlet to feed 12v to a radio. You're absolutely not going to "get electrocuted" unless you start licking partially inserted wall plugs.

Will you have noise issues where you need to start grounding stuff in a different way? Maybe? Is there a ground in every box in your house/metal boxes that are grounded? Also maybe.

I'm just not seeing a safety issue with modern 12v gear. Maybe.....MAYBE with some old boat anchor tube stuff if you're poking around in it/hot chassis issues (and that's not any less safe than when it was new because they only had 2 prong outlets then). But not with sold state gear or even anything hybrid (i.e. made 40-50 years ago).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Achmed Jones posted:

it's the hot chassis thing. some power supplies make it uncomfortably easy to short things, too. don't play dumb "it's ok because ____" games when you're talking basic safety features like _ground pins_.

if your plug has a ground pin, only plug it into things that are grounded. whether that's a self-grounding outlet or a proper electrical ground wire that goes to the breaker is up to the implementation. call an electrician if you aren't sure.

importantly, if someone has to ask this question, they have no business making risk decisions in this area.

I'm sorry, are you saying what I posted was wrong or somehow unsafe?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
So yes, that is what you are saying.

You either didn't understand the post or the content and were unable to tell me in what way it was wrong. Just putting forth a "just in case!" argument.

If this is how you feel then no one should operate a radio because they just might accidentally lick high voltage DC on the back of it.

If only there were some sort of licensing for this kind of thing that included safety that one had to pass before transmitting........

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

M_Gargantua posted:

You can get a 1:1 transformer and a breaker panel to make your outbuilding its own power distribution network, tied to that new ground rod.

No 1:1 transformer. A properly installed subpanel in an outbuilding will have the grounds and neutrals separated and will have it's own grounding system that is bonded to the existing grounds at the main panel or wherever the location of the one and only ground-neutral bond is in the system.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Curly Shuffle posted:

My end fed antenna manual (MFJ-1984MP) wants a safety ground. Would connecting the new ground rod to only the antenna be ok?

So here's the thing, there's your building electrical ground, then there's what's on this sheet, an antenna/radio ground. And never the two shall meet (except for in exceptionally specific situations that are not relevant here).

If your radio is 12v and you are running it off of a power supply connected to your building electrical system it's already separate from the grounding of your building electrical (in most cases). Then you go hog wild with your antenna grounds like in that diagram and/or your buried radials, all of which are grounds. You tie all of that together to the ground on your radio and whatever else is in the path of the antenna like tuners, etc.

This "ground separation unless they are properly bonded per code" is not only a safety thing, it will also keep a lot of potential noise out of your gear.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Fahrtscriber

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

manero posted:

You need to pass General first, but you can totally sit for both tests. Not sure if they grade your General first, before letting you take the Extra, though, I'd imagine that's how it works.

They do. Any test you take they grade and then offer you to take the next level for free if you passed. You can pay for tech and sit all three in one day if you're really on your game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
The end of mighty fine junk. I wish I was surprised, but it's hard to be.