Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
I'll be at Timonium, but drat the price went up again! Guess it's still worth it since it's the biggest hamfest in the region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
My next radio will be the Wouxun 2M/220 HT. Looks to be the cheapest way to get the 220 band I've been missing.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

manero posted:

Anybody have a recommendation for a decent, but not too expensive dual-band mobile rig? Something I can pop into my Mazda 3 for Skywarn season :v:

Otherwise it's off to eham.net to pour over reviews.

Edit: Maybe something with a detachable faceplate so I can mount the rest of it in the trunk.

Wow, you are exactly in the same situation as me! I have a Mazda 3 and I'm looking to get this,

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-010079

Dual band, detachable faceplate and even has Noaa Weather alert. Most stores I've checked sell it with the faceplate kit. Just curious what are you doing for a antenna?

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Any goon hams in Dayton this weekend? I just got here tonight staying for 2 days. Have never been before, already see some hamsexy and I'm just at the hotel! Can't wait for tomorrow, hopefully I don't spend too much.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Jose Pointero posted:

I'm jelly, would like to go one of these days. Take some pics please, not particularly of the gear being presented but of the attendees :)

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, most of my pictures are of gear of course. I will say there was a least a 30 to 1 scooter ratio. Antenna hats were frequent, BO was frequent, at least a dozen "I hate Obama" conversations overheard. Honestly outside the antenna hats what one would expect at a old white person crowd. I walked for 8 hours straight to see everything. I bought too much and spent too much money. Met some old radio pals I hadn't seen in years and overall bought some cool stuff so I'll do it again next year. Worth the road trip and time.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

BigHustle posted:

I started listening to the LA Amateur Radio Repeater formerly known as W9NUT again and it makes me want to fire a repeater up locally just to watch the old heads poo poo their Hoverounds.

Also, for anyone debating a call change, NO1CUR is available.

I envy LA for having some entertaiment, such as it is, on 2M. Half the time my radio is scanning the local repeaters with no activity, when it does stop it's for conversations like this thread's title. Only time things get interesting is bad weather with skywarn.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Jose Pointero posted:

Wait, what? I've heard a lot of graybeard stories about the early days of VHF/UHF but never any mention of this.

There's a little bit of this about 23cm and 33cm bands now in populated areas, though not to the extreme where ham stores(few as there are) won't sell you equipment. I mostly see grumpy old men on Yahoo Groups anger posting when a capable radio comes out. Dem commoners are going to ruin our band!

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

phorge posted:

Don't order from DealExtreme... they are shipping a different SKU now that doesn't have the right chipset in it.

poo poo, seriously !? I ordered one a few weeks ago, hopefully I didn't waste $20 :(

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Llyr posted:

I was hoping that getting my CB radio working would be easier than my ham. I was messing around with an old Realistic brand handheld CB and I was picking up faint chatter from southern truckers(I live in Canada). The chatter was very distorted and bleeding across multiple channels. I was hoping that with my new CB and antenna that I would be able to pick up a clearer signal. If you ham elitists want to thumb your noses at CB then I could use some help finding a good antenna set-up for my Drake SPR-4 Receiver. Last year I tried to get a random wire antenna working but I gave up.

Was it channel 6? Those clowns bleed over a channel or two here during the day with their horrible illegal amps. Sadly some amateur frequencies are like that too ...

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

soy posted:

I made one of the local repeaters go bleep boop hello good morning, this hobby is cool and good.

So you're the kerchunker! :argh:

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Sniep posted:

You could always be like me and just "Eh, gently caress It" yourself a FTDX1200 :pram:

And then realize that your antenna solution is poo poo and you can only really functionally operate up on 6m..

:smugmrgw:

Are you me?

At my townhouse I can only do a 50ft dipole at around 15ft in the air. Works well on 6-15m though, but only okay on 17-20m. Still love my 1200 though, it replaced my 706MIIG. I never found much SSB activity on 2M/400 here except for contests so the HF upgrade was worth it.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

eddiewalker posted:

How else do you deal with the guy who got his PTT wedged between the seats of his truck?

Time for a radio club foxhunt!

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Some nearby radio control maybe?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CB_usage_in_the_United_States#Remote_control

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

IndianaZoidberg posted:

I don't know if anyone cares around here, but I was out driving around last week and ran across a Frederick, MD amature radio club just hanging out in a parking lot at Walmart. Along with their gear, they had a large antenna trailer they set up and a antenna that they raised up on a helium balloon.

Their command station. They had guys taking turns on the radio and recording who they were talking to and where that person was.

Their base camp. A large mast with to cables running from the tower to a light pole and a car. I didn't get a shot of the balloon antenna. Sorry.

I stopped by and chatted with them for a while. Really nice guys and answered all of my stupid questions. They were out there (if I remember correctly) for a 24 hour challenge to see how far they could reach and talk.

Wow small world, I live in Frederick but was out of town for vacation. I read they were setting up shop there for Field Day, glad they caught some attention!

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Seems like someone flipped the light switch on HF today.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

The Muffinlord posted:

I live under a bigger rock. What changes did they make last April?

https://bettersaferadio.com/fcc-adopts-long-awaited-changes-prs-bands-gmrs-frs-cb-murs/

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Maybe it's just my area but there's no FM repeater nuttiness; that would require repeater activity! I had to go digital for contacts, HF and local.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
US CB is still AM/SSB only, no FM or digital voice modes I believe.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Partycat posted:

I tried to check into a net on America link yesterday but after hours of check ins I gave up .

Huge digital nets can be a drag, no fun waiting to speak when you're checkin #39 and the list is only at #7. :(

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Where I lived DStar and Fusion were the main UHF digital modes, so I have and am familiar with those radios. Since moving DMR repeaters seem to rule, time to learn a new mode and radio! I do use a hotspot to monitor Reddits 98003 using Fusion, can be active late evenings EST.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

oh man nets where the spouse and maybe a kid check in are SUPER wholesome. families that ham together fight over radios together

Is this a local thing? Once in a great while I’ll hear a kid, or pretty sure a grand kid. But never a family. Pretty sweet if it happens. I’ve tried to nudge my wife into just a tech license, not happening. I did get us a GMRS license, so something.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Are we lowly GMRS licensees that just paid $70 and didn't take a test allowed in here? I have questions about protocol.

(If so, I'm WRJL415)

Also, lol, my father was an Army radioman in Vietnam, when he got home he just got the most basic license for CB (back when it required a license) when he got a job as a truck driver, because it was cheapest. Even though he could've got the highest-level HAM license.

I say why not, I have both a ham and GMRS license. Family isn’t interested in ham, so having GMRS with higher power and repeater access is a plus.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Of my HTs the Alinco DJ-G29T frustrates me the most. Bought it for the 220/900 bands, but when I do use it I spend more time relearning to use it. It’s like they took the Yaesu menu idea and decided to make it worse with sub menus. I mainly keep it on the local 220 repeater, but have made some 900 contacts when traveling out west.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Local wires-x repeater is set to America Link by default. It is always transmitting.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
The Washington DC area channel 6/FM 87.7 went off the air for a little while, but came back a few months ago with digital TV and analog audio. The television side is country music videos, the radio side continues with Spanish language pop. The analog FM signal is where the station's value is at sadly.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Big Mackson posted:

What is the TG for this thread? Local repeater finally have DMR :D

That IC-905 is very tempting since i already have everthing i need for QO-100 except something that can transmit 2.4 ghz.

3163563 brandmeister

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
shTTY