Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

Jonny Quest posted:

I'm trying to get mine to work. The drivers won't install on my Windows 10 machine because I have virtualization enabled for Docker. I downloaded the latest HamPi release but it doesn't appear to boot on my Raspberry Pi 3B just yet. Not quite as plug and play as I was hoping.

Hop into Discord and, or if you're already there, ping me. I had to deal with this and I might be able to provide info that helps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

So we're looking at trying to put together times for the DMR net.

If you don't have a DMR radio, don't worry! There are alternatives that I can go into detail if requested.

If you're looking to join other ham nerds talk, please take a moment to submit https://whenisgood.net/q5bik3g to give us an idea of what times will work.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

The DMR net will be happening tonight (04/08/2020) at 8:00PM PT on TG 3163563

A note about this:

quote:

WHEN CREATING THE CONTACT MAKE SURE TO SELECT GROUP AND NOT PRIVATE

Don't get your underoos in a wad if you can't make tonight, the next net will be Friday (07/08/2020) at 6:00PM PT on the same TG.

If you want to do net control, speak up; we have a script you can (or don't who cares) read to make it easier. It's been used a total of one times now, so it's getting some traction.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Just a reminder post, to remind, the posters of this thread, that the DMR net will be occurring at 6:00PM PT on TG 3163563

quote:

These posts for reminders will not continue beyond this one; if you want reminders, get on Discord. The schedule, in the event that it's updated, may be posted; but as of now it's Tuesday 8:00PM PT and Friday 6:00PM PT (Not in the middle of the loving Atlantic ocean).

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

poeticoddity posted:

being awkward to use

drat, did you really think that was the end goal?

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

poeticoddity posted:

Considering CE is a newly licensed ham whose previous posts in this thread have been a grab-bag of serious questions, jokes, and plans to build an antenna into a tall bike...maybe? :shrug:

Eh, but a Fong JPole on a Feng. You'd probably imagine the person doing this would have some insight to what is going on =P

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Casual Encountess posted:

its a uv-82hp if you break it in half two uv-5r's fall out, pinata style

its baofengs all the way down

And if you break the batteries it's just 1.5vs

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

wolrah posted:

If you need a radio to communicate with other people (trucks, emergency assistance) an important detail is what radios they have.

Unless they're operating on the 2m/70cm ham bands or adjacent two-way services like MURS or FRS/GMRS a UV-5R isn't going to help you, and the range is sufficiently limited that without a repeater it's not likely to be all that useful.

Truckers in North America that are using radios (a diminishing group) usually use CB (called GRS in Canada) so if you're looking to know where the log trucks are I'd assume that's what you want. Cobra is the most popular brand AFAIK, Galaxy is another big name. Make sure to get a proper antenna and mount too, not just some lovely little mag-mount thing. CB wavelength is ~11 meters, so you need a big antenna to get a decent signal out.

If there's an active ham repeater covering the area then the Baofeng might be useful from the emergency standpoint, but for the most part I don't believe any emergency organizations monitor ham or two-way frequencies as a part of normal operation so without some bored ham to rely on your best bets would be a satellite phone or an emergency beacon.

I was under the impression that 2m was widely used for local emergency type of situations? I would imagine if you're the target of an SNR and have even a UV you'd be better off than not having it, yeah? Seems like plugging in the 145 whatever freq might be a good idea, let me do that now haha.

Edit: Does look like there are freqs in other bands https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_distress_frequency

drunk mutt fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 25, 2020

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

For DMR you will need a DMR ID, which you can get from http://radioid.net/ which will require some documents to get verified; I don't remember what all but I think it's just the original copy of your license which you'll receive from the FCC. This step can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days.

Once you get your DMR ID, you'll want to sign up for https://brandmeister.network/?page=register which provides access into the DMR network.

Then once you have that, you're good to go. Probably a good idea to hop on our discord so we can help you get everything setup. We hold a net on DMR TG 3163563 every Tue 8PM PT and Fri 6PM PT (subject to change), and we're always happy to have new people running netop.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

still trying to figure out how to get on dmr/brandmeister with a mac and no radio without spending a bunch of money

Download BlueStacks and install DVSwitch. Which you'll need a bridge to connect to; if you just want to test it out hit me up on Discord and we can get a bridge spun up and you can test, or if you have Docker installed I put together https://github.com/hsoj/hamenv to simplify getting everything spun up.

The gist is you use the mobile app to connect to the bridge, which passes traffic to an md380 emulator container to decode/encode the audio and then out to the BM network.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

They might be cracking down harder, but I took mine at my desk which is littered with a 3d printer/breadboards and other various random projects and they just asked me to remove any suspicious papers.

I do know they kept an eye on me during the test to make sure I did not deviate away from the test. So all of the work they're asking you to do is so they have an easier job watching you.

Edit: Because new page, I'm gonna add some more content.

The DMR net is considering a time change while we also start to consider a long term TalkGroup ID. Nothing is set yet and the original times are going to be carried out (Tue 8PT, Fri 6PT) but I figured since I get the privilege of starting a new page I'd mention it and welcome any feedback.

drunk mutt fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 8, 2020

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Radio nerds, we are doing ~things~ and are asking for y'all to take part.

AG0ON SAARS is looking for your input. All serious input will be considered!

Please review the charters/by-laws and make suggestions/comment on those that exist https://docs.google.com/document/d/1o_kca7kA5E1Yffv5zS_No74jjarNTGnXFobrEwHKZCw/

We will be holding a meeting, which all are welcomed to join, on 2020/10/19 at 5PM PT. If you wish to join, please join the discord https://discord.gg/DY6P8YC and we will make sure to get you all setup.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

It will be super hard to provide the support needed via the forum for this one. Hop onto the discord link, even if just for the matter of time it takes to figure it out.

It sounds like the analog bridge isn't configured for the right decoder and you're seeing the analog and mmdvm bridges work. I put the suite together with the idea that the firmware emulated was used. So we will need to look at your setup and work through it. Which I am totally down to do, just this isn't the best medium to do it.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

There are changes coming to the DMR net. We will maintain a bi-weekly schedule, however, the times will be flipped.

So, the new times are Tuesdays 01:00 UTC (6pm PT) and Fridays 03:00 UTC (8pm PT).

Additionally, since there has been interests from over the pond, we're going to hold a Saturday rag chew at 18:00 UTC (11:00am PT). If there are suggestions for a better time, just say something and if there are no objections that will be it; unless it's just really dumb.

The current talk group is still on BrandMeister network ID 3163563

Also, make sure you do the following if it pertains to you:

quote:

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Alright you nerds, we are making progress on this crazy idea of running a club over the internet. The ag0on call sign has been saved by our favorite sports audio person (W0CA/nnt) as well as the one that actually saved the call sign initally (N2KG0/Fordan), and we're moving forward with the next steps to make this happen in 2021.

The club's charter/bylaws have been confirmed: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1o_kca7kA5E1Yffv5zS_No74jjarNTGnXFobrEwHKZCw/edit?usp=sharing

If you have issues with anything in this document at this time, become a member and voice your vote.

Our first order of action is to make sure that anybody wanting to be a member is considered as such within HCO. The next will be to vote on what DMR ID we will submit to BrandMeister to be our talkgroup ID.

The club board roles will be initially provided to current active members, which will be announced at a later date.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

thehustler posted:

Does the online club only work for US licensees then? It’d be impossible to make a truly international club, wouldn’t it? Could I use that callsign in the U.K.?

Don’t know too much about how clubs work elsewhere.

I can't speak on the callsign usage outside of the US, but the way we're trying to structure the club allows international members. I'm sure we'll run into some questionable areas depending on what goal we're trying to accomplish, but learning what we can and can not do is apart of the fun (we're not trying to break any laws).

A few months back we tried to hold a DMR net that included the EU but only a few of the US regulars showed up so we ditched the effort. I am more than willing to put it back on the schedule even if we just pick up one person (lookin at you thehustler). The best time we could come up with would be on Saturday morning as we can get some of the US regulars on and not have one of the sad one person check-in net (don't worry if it is this, even the Tuesday night net has had this issue). Best thing I can suggest is to hop onto discord and we can coordinate a time slot for it and hopefully get something going.

Sniep posted:

If anyone knows how to get that working in windows 10 please tell me what the toolchain is? I've tried a few things and just cant seem to get it to come up

Are you having issues with the device not showing up at all, or issues with something like SDR# not able to use the device?

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

ickna posted:

I’d like to bounce some ideas off of y’all on building an integrated SDR listening post of sorts.

I have an RSP2, several of the rtl-sdr dongles and an HF>VHF converter. I’m trying to come up with a way to bring them all in together into one united system. I have a 4gb RAM pi4, but also a mid 2000’s core 2 duo workstation with debian that I decommissioned with no other use currently on deck.

Goals currently are automatic reporting of wspr and jt65 type signals, and a web sdr for cruising around when I feel like it. Portability is a secondary goal, but I can give that up if it is necessary to use the beefier computer.

Ideally everything could share one or two antennas depending on the bands.

My current thoughts would be to dedicate an rtl-sdr or two to the weak signal reporters across the most popular bands, splitting an antenna input into the up converter and then sending that to the dongles. The RSP2 would be put on web sdr duty either through another antenna split ahead of the up converter to the rtl dongles, or given its own dedicated antenna.

I think this could all run on the same computer using docker containers and passing the respective USB devices the the appropriate services.

I'd suggest not using Docker at all and looking at something like runc/runsc/gvisor. The containerd daemon is heavy, and you're not going to need all the additional networking/swarm bullshit that's added.

If you like the interface of Docker, use podman. It is literally the same commands, but skips the interaction with containerd and just loads up what ever OCI container runner you configure (I think default is runc).

For the WebSDR side, it's interface is very limited (if it's the same one I'm thinking) and the way that it was developed doesn't really comply with easy scalability. It is great, but was a college kids project that got ditched and I haven't seen much development from additional forks etc. I only state this as it might be work you weren't expecting.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

So I'm gonna jump into the rabbit hole that is EME but have been running into many questions based on the information I've seen and just can't wrap my head around the antenna design. My understanding is you TX horizontal polarization and it basically gets flipped if you're looking to echo, but on RX to a greater distance the polarization isn't as heavy in degrees? A lot of the arrays I have seen I'm guessing they're getting a vertical polarization by having the horizontal in kind of a grid form?

Without going into the LNA/amplifier side of the question, what am I missing about the antennas; or is it what I'm saying without going into that plays the role I'm missing?

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

From everything i've seen, all the 'little gun' stations (which is where you'll be for a bit) just use horizontal yagis and take advantage of ground gain at low-moon times. Pretty sure the big huge stations do have polarization switching to match, but really they're just doing burnouts and showing off there.

The moon's not a glassy sphere, there is absolutely no way to predict the polarization of the wave as it comes back in my mind.

What band are you going to try first?

That's still up in the air. Sounds like the middle ground is on 2m, with 70cm being a close second. It does seem like 6|2m as being the easiest to handle the polarization via software and LNAs, so kind of leaning more towards 2m and a long yagi (8 elements?).

I will need to buy a radio, so it's kind of like "look at the IC-7300 or IC-9700" from what I've seen so far. Both would be suitable buys for long term. With the obvious if I go 6m using the 7300 if I do either 2m/70cm the 9700.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

9700 is such a good radio and for EME i think having 100w on 2m and 70w on 70cm is stronger than having 100w on 6m with the 7300. And this argument is strictly focused on EME - i think in general if one has to pick one to get first for General Nonspecific Hamming, the 7300 is the clear winner, just for versatility reasons.

Just to clarify: 9700 for the purpose of EME would be ideal over the 7300?

I plan on picking both up anyways. My immediate focus is just EME while I get into the other stuff.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah. Big thing is engineering really. JT65 is good, but you're going to need a 2-3 wavelength long yagi to play ball. a 6m beam big enough is gonna be a _monster_ but a 2m or 70cm long yagi is 100x more manageable.

Most of the designs I'm finding have 4 directors but only get like 6dBi which seems like that wouldn't work from what I've gathered? I do plan on finding/building the antenna before I buy the radio. None of the locals I've spoken with know poo poo about this, so any insight is greatly appreciated to help me get the ball rolling.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

that's where it gets into It Depends territory. Depends on the moon position, if you have a clear horizon shot, and whether or not the other station is a big gun. yagi gain is set by boom length, not number of elements. Something like the M2 6M5 _might_ get it done, if you have open plains to the horizon, it's moonrise/moonset, you use the very best coax you can afford with a preamp, and the other various stars align.

But even that antenna is 13 pounds of unwieldy mass and has an 18 foot boom.

Flip side of this argument is that at that point you're basically speccing out a really good 6 meter station, and even if you aren't successful on EME, you can work tons of sporadic-E for about six months out of the year, and if you are ok with waking up before the chickens, can work lots of meteor scatter 365 mornings a year.

Not trying to discourage you - it's a great challenge. We're still way better than we were 20 years ago, when you _had_ to have a 500 watt amp and stacked yagis in order to pick up some CW echoes.

Good set of information that helped clear some of my confusion. It is sounding like it'll be more fun to actually try to engineer the antenna than spending hours hunting for something. Was initially hoping there would be a ~$100-200 antenna that would be suitable to get started, but not really finding anything.

This is totally a "We don't do these things because they're easy" situation, so no discouragement here.

Do guess if I am gonna design the antenna I need to put together a dummy load and probably should go ahead and get the radio as that'll be usable outside of this effort as well.

Any suggestions to the preamp/coax? There are always amps that pop up on CL around here and wonder if just scooping that would work or if there is something I'd want to look for.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Motronic posted:

Get your twitter out of my ham radio.

E: Ugh, that snipe was so bad I'm gonna leave it

Gonna immortalize it in case you change your mind

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

The new Pi4 can do anything those Toughbooks can do, the issue is just the software isn't designed for the chipset so you wind up having to emulate for the binary which makes it not stand up to the task.

If ham software wasn't notorious for being poorly designed as software, you'd be capable of running any modern application on it.

We are using the 4's for our dev clusters with ML applications and while it's not the greatest, it provides an environment the data dev nerds can test their code before they gently caress up production.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

thehustler posted:

What’s the DMR TG again? Is it a proper SA one? Still don’t know how groups get made or whether people can just get one made.

May try this tomorrow through our local UHF repeater. Need to get more used to dialling in and disconnecting from groups.

The TG ID is 3163563, make sure you set the contact to group and not private.

Your personal DMR ID can be treated as a group, but I forget what all is required (if anything) to use it that route. As far as any other TG, basically you can dial in to any ID on the BM network and use it as a TG; but getting it reserved requires submitting a ticket with BM after proving the group maintains traffic.

This is the sole reason I'll run through the script while no one else is even there, so the club can eventually go through the steps to do the poo poo we need to do and eventually get a proper TG ID reserved.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

hbag posted:

welp i bought a manual for getting my foundation license (im in the UK) so heres hoping my ADD lets me loving read it for more than 5 minutes

So, while I'm not quoting the post I'm actually responding to, once you are licensed, we run a DMR net that's "formal" while not really being formal (in the sense no one will care if you gently caress up).

The timing probably won't work out for you for our current schedule, however, I'm willing to run a net on Saturday at a time that is more suitable for your TZ.

If you are not already a member of our Discord, join it and we can get you over your mic anxiety (we all have it and are working on it).

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Dastardly_Crapsack posted:

I got a fancy new scanner so I could hear digital stuff without setting up the laptop and dsd+, but now I've encountered encrypted signals for the first time and they piss me off. I want to hear everything dammit!! There seems to be near constant fbi/dea traffic which kinda surprises me since I'm not in a large city or anything. Anyway I know there's no way to listen to it and it would be illegal to do so, I'm just bored and wanted to post.

Unrelated but does anyone know what these things are transmitting? There's a camera but there's also several antennas, they can't all be for the camera. They're all up and down I45 in texas

Looks like the hardware used for the traffic/alerting systems mesh. Might have some additional hardware on there, but those are up around the state.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

I need a bench power supply for building small stuff. I just need something that can put out 0-24V and a few amps that won't set my workbench on fire. God knows I'd love to get a good HP unit or something but they go for a lot--I'd like to stay around $100 or so. Recommendations? I see a bunch of stuff around $60 on Amazon, most of which look to be the same hardware in a slightly different case with different knob positions and, occasionally, labels like "VOLTACE"...

I use the https://powerwerx.com/ss30dv-desktop-dc-power-supply-powerpole for powering most of the things I use for radios, the bench DC power supply I got is pretty lovely in the sense that trying to dial in exact volts/watts/whatever is a pain, but I don't have any issues using it on electronic projects.

So basically, my understanding of DC bench supplies is they'll work, but how long is the thing. If you're just doing hobby poo poo, you probably wouldn't notice a variable in the power waveform.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

blugu64 posted:

Fairly new to DMR, and am playing around with programming. To program in a cluster like this:

Do I program in talkgroup 2, or talkgroup 310593?

It's Time Slot 2 into Talk Group 310593 if that's the TG you're trying to connect to. This is an indicator though that it's a dynamic list and the radio making the request can use the timeslot for another talk group.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

blugu64 posted:

Perfect thank you. I wasn’t quite sure about that 2-> in the icon. It’s a repeater local talkgroup, and I wanted to check that it was kosher to hop on talkgroup 1 and explore. Though looking at the logs it’s not terribly busy.

Generally repeaters will use TS 1 for a static linked group for locals, and use TS 2 to allow people to connect to TGs on their radio's will. It becomes difficult when the time slot is heavily used, as you'll get pushed out of your TG from time to time.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

If you do look into getting into DMR, first don't buy what ever Jonny got for a hot spot ;)

It's a pretty easy route in that to see you are interested, there is an Android app (not sure about iOS) which will allow you to try it out before spending any money. If it is something you dig, it's also pretty cheap getting into it. The Radioddity GD-73A is a nice lil HT that goes on sale from time to time, and is cheap to begin with. While it's kind of clunky to get configured, it's tiny and does a good enough job.

I personally prefer getting a certified Pi0W and getting a MMDVM hat instead of going the pre-built route, which installing Pi-star and getting it going takes under an hour.

Also I should mention that we run a net on DMR Tues/Fri nights, which more information about that can be found on Discord.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

For 2k you can get the IC-9700 and have pretty waterfalls...not bias to this radio or nothing =P

ICOM should pay me for how much I promote their newer line of radios. But I really do enjoy operating them and always feel like there is more that can be learned with them.

However, getting a decent antenna will matter more than the radio. I still use janky DIY'd stuff other than my N9TAX ladder line and "get things done".

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

hey, my 9700 is a $1699 (RELEASE DAY CREW) radio hooked to $50 of LMR400 into a $39 Tram antenna. People wildly misunderestimate station cost distributions

Yeah I was meaning to lean more into a really good antenna will make a lesser radio perform really well, while a really good radio works some drat voodoo magic and makes antennas you'd never think work, work.

While not suggesting the N9TAX's are ones you'd think voodoo is happening, they're good antennas. But dang does the 9700 really give it some juice.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

horse_ebookmarklet posted:

I've thought about this quite a bit, to my partners annoyance.
I am too much of a dummy to do direct CSI2/MIPI. Baby's first FPGA project here. Like my 5th PCB layout.
This FPGA can just squirt out low res HDMI, and there are ICs that convert HDMI to CSI2. (Used in this). This is actually pretty reasonable (other than the IC being BGA) and I probably could actually do this. But I can't find a distributor anywhere that stocks the IC.

But the raspberry pi is too expensive to build a consumer product around, I think? Not sure if this makes sense but here I go:

First option is I sell a tested-working setup including a rpi. Now I've purchased a raspberry pi (for basically retail $$), and I've added labor/shipping, so I have to put markup on it. Who wants to pay markup on a stock raspberry pi? Boo!!! (Looking at you Geochron 4K).
Second option is people have to buy my doo-dad and then buy their own $50+ rpi and accessories. This keeps everyone's costs lower but introduces troubleshooting problems.... flashing SD cards, crappy SD cards, bad power supplies. I imagine more returns.

I would probably go with both options, if I went that route. Either way, it adds $50 (or more, for #1) to the overall cost. I can either eat that in profit, or I can exceed my target price.

I do enjoy diving down the ideas hole, this was fun to think about.

It is quite popular to sell just a hat that someone can put on their RPi, and not uncommon for a fully kitted version to come at a premium price. Instead of worrying about the supply chain process of loading the SDCards just put some information on a website and a link to download the image.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Did anybody suggest the 7300 yet? I'd totally suggest the 7300.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

when yall say monitors, are you talking speakers or displays? cause every monitor-meaning-display i know of just takes 120vac straight to the domepiece (and probably has some kinda transformer in there but idk what). unfortunately my monitor-meaning-speakers are the same way

There are "monitors as display" that use DC inputs off AC with transformers, it's actually quite common. For "monitors as speakers", those drat things are noisy as hell and generally take AC direct and have transformers build in on the driving unit.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

QST QST QST

Just a heads up to you ham nerds that AG0ON has an upcoming meeting on April 24th, 2022 at 1900 UTC (1500 Eastern).

More details will follow regarding where the meeting will be held and all that jazz.

If you have any topics that you'd like to see addressed during the meeting, please post them here or let me know on Discord.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

blugu64 posted:

2m propagation last night was off the hook around here. Guy down the way logged at least one 300mile contacts on sideband. I need a horizontal 2m antenna yesterday :(

You part of the OAK club? I ask because one of them members there was reporting they did this.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

The best way to get people into ham radio isn't to say "hey you should get a ham radio", it's to go to a side hobby like hiking or offroading or stargazing and say "you know you could add ham radio on top of this and these are the ways that it'll make things more fun and easier and safer" and sell it that way.

He says...

Edit: Jonny come back, we miss you in our internet pig based club

drunk mutt fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

when are the DMR nets again?

Tuesday/Friday at 6pm Eastern/9pm Pacific 6pm Pacific/9pm Eastern and oh one hundred hours the next day GMT

drunk mutt fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 21, 2022