Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

DevNull posted:

I think you are very confused on which way the earth spins.

6PM Pacific/9PM Eastern

Haha oooops, tried to recite the script without looking at it and totally botched that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

namlosh posted:

Hey thread! So the genuine RTL-SDR is perpetually out of stock so I need a recommendation on what to get to dip my toe into SDR stuff.

I’m in the US (texas) and kinda interested in:
Identifying planes since we see lots of them overhead
Scanning fire/police stuff for fun
Other infrastructure stuff, it’s just super interesting to me
LORA seems neat, I have an ESP32 that does it
The satellite slow scan stuff seems cool
Numbers stations seem cool (shortwave, right?)

Mainly receiving, not really interested in transmitting or getting a license yet but I could if it mattered

Is there something that fits the bill for all of this? Or at least the first couple of items?

Is there a clone that’s confirmed to work well? I’d like compatibility above all else. I dont want to buy something that’ll be useless if I want to go further into the space

<= $100 Unless there’s a compelling reason/value to spend more

Thanks!

For watching planes I just use https://globe.adsbexchange.com/ so I don't have to spend one of my SDRs on it.

Most of TX is on trunked P25 systems with some counties being completely encrypted. Check out https://www.radioreference.com/db/browse/stid/48 to get an idea of what exists in your area.

I have a few of the RTLs that Jonny linked and they work just fine for most of the stuff you've listed.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

wolrah posted:

Like a lot of hobbies, there is no right way to do amateur radio. There are of course some wrong ways, like transmitting where you're not supposed to or loving with other users of the spectrum, but as long as you're not doing those kinds of things then do what makes you happy. If you're enjoying yourself and maybe occasionally learning something you're probably doing pretty well.

:hmmyes:

Ahem. Reminder, we use DMR to hold a net bi-weekly.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Radio Nowhere posted:

3163563 brandmeister

Remember to do group and not private.

It's pretty quiet outside of the net, but some of us will generally have a radio on from time to time.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Yeah, it will come to life Tue/Fri 9p eastern. Generally the script is ran through in like 10 minutes and a lot of times we'll rag chew afterwards for a bit.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Since we are talking about securing janky antenna structures, feel this is a good point to mention that tripods designed for holding up speakers are great. They're designed to mitigate top heavy loads, and can easily be attached to with gear that you would use elsewhere.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

What is this HAM stuff y'all are going on about?

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

yummycheese posted:

join the goon dmr weekly net. most of us are computer professionals and its 100% angry man shakes fist at cloud chat

Which is tonight on talk group 3163563 (set the contact as group) at 7p eastern.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Motronic posted:

9 pm eastern.

Damnit, I constantly do that...

I hate timezones

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

evelyn87 posted:

I've taken an interest into understanding radio. I volunteer at a local fire department and historically they've had their own VHF/UHF "network" with repeaters they own. I'm an IT person so I never took time to understand how all of it works, I just threw some of their gear on their own vlan's and routed them across our IP network, what was actually being sent I have no idea and didn't really care to figure it out.

Fast forward. I stumbled upon a fascinating video of how to send and receive email via radio. For some reason this just blew my mind and now I'm trying to figure out how all of this works.

Some high-level questions I have.

I live on the side of a mountain, my house very fairly facing a metro area with the farthest point of that metro being 15 miles away. Is it feasible to provide an email service over UHF/VHF and how would they know this service exists?

I'm taking a guess that this email service would be restricted to people using similar software that is expecting unauthenticated emails (there is no larger identity and authentication framework, or is there?)

To that end, there's probably no way to relay emails by radio to internet addresses/domains in a reliable manner? (no spf, dkim, dns).

While this probably sounds ridiculous. I find that I learn by doing, and even a ridiculous project would hold my interest so that I can learn why it's ridiculous in the first place. I welcome any guidance. I'm trying to take in what makes sense and save for later the things I don't understand quite yet.

On the learn-the-basics front I'm considering an Icom 2730A for my vehicle, but I saw the Yaesu FTM-6000R has a data port that I'll need for email/terminal/data communication? If that's the case, would it be better to have the FTM both in the car as well at home/email service idea? Icom was attractive because of the ability to be tuned into multiple frequencies say repeater and simplex.

Thanks for listening. I think my excitement has led to another terrible post. chaa

I don't think there is any frequency you could use to do this that wouldn't require every member taking part of it to be a license amateur.

Edit: Well, you COULD use 802.11 but that's really more in scope of the "IT aspect" on what you're setting up as a deliverable and ventures into this realm via "how do I properly distribute the signal"

Double Edit: What you're talking about is a WISP really more than using RF for sending messages al-la APRS/wspr/wsjx/etc.

drunk mutt fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 1, 2023

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Or just buy things that you might never need but could potentially need...I'm pretty sure one of these days I'll use that uhhhh stuff.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Motronic posted:

You could run copper radials around it/across the roof to the ground and attempt to tune up your whole house.

A friends father (SK who I got a lot of gear from) was doing that with a fiberglass antenna from a boat as his vertical rather than a metal chimney, but it's the same concept. He was tuning it with an SG-230 (https://www.sgcworld.com/230ProductPage.html) which as I understand it is made to tune up various parts of a boat for whatever HF boat people happen to need.

Is this the 2m antenna SK?

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

doomisland posted:

I'm in my "I should get a HAM license phase" and was looking at antennae and from my situation of being in a town house with window screens that don't open and no balcony a loop antennae seems to be the best option in a theoretical set up. Is there a go to guide for building one?

Guessing with the "should get licensed" statement, are you planning to start out and just get tech? If so, I'd just look at getting an n9tax https://n9taxlabs.com/shop and hang that somewhere. I have one literally hanging off the side of my desk and it "works".

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

Also what is the obscure english word for getting a radio licence and then immediately wanting to go ham on building a radio tower in the middle of my rural forest.

because uhhhh

(I do CAD for fun, i'm not actually going to build a 60ft tower... maybe)

There are probably like 400 tower sections in good state available to you second hand. We had a lot of silent keys the last 3 years, and I know at least down here, you can get pre-built tower sections for pennies to their value.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

Stop no don't encourage this behavior

Helping families that have absolutely no desire to have antenna towers in their yards get rid of them and put them to good use?

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

also if anybody is serious about putting an antenna up high, check on the availability of telephone poles

i've heard you can get a 60 footer for a grand or two, and with 25% buried (iirc the general recommendation) you get 45 feet of height and it'll last a couple decades np

It's about the girth.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

me too but then i got it and put it on a shelf and didn't plug it in

once i do, i suspect that getting it to work in a docker container is not gonna be trivial

Why would it be any more difficult than any other device?

Honestly, the rtl-sdr hardware is what I prefer because of the simplicity of getting it working on the host system in a way that I can taint a node and have something like op25 access the hardware. If you want to get super fancy, you can setup udev rules on the host system so that you don't even require privileged containers!

Bottom line is, if you can get the hardware operating on the host system you can get it operable in a containerized slice of said system.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I guess I'm missing something here, why does this matter inside of a container? This is crap that has to be done on the host system and once that's setup, provide access to those resources inside of the container. There are quick and easy ways of doing this that aren't very secure, but it'll work.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

most people running a fleet of containers for their silly personal projects aren't doing it on windows hosts. you can't run windows containers on linux hosts. someone has to create and share the container in the first place. the problem isn't with mounting a usb device in a container or dropping a binary inside a container, those are trivial. it's the whole "windows only" thing that's an issue, and that issue basically kills the containerization stuff before it gets off the ground

once they figure out the driver situation on linux, assuming it's not something incredibly terrible and stupid, it'll probably make its way into various open source sdr applications (and associated containerizations of those applications) within a couple months

That makes sense, when I was reading through the github that I found on it it didn't seem like it was completely restricted to using the pre-built dll and that was just the artifact they offered up. Looked like with some work one could get it working within other build ecosystems. Don't doubt I am wrong there as I skimmed that repo.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

i've got GPUs everywhere and i have played with running HF RX audio through Nvidia Broadcast. It's really good at background noise reduction, way better than anything built in to a rig.

to the point that if i had too much money and the room for it, i would consider building a mini itx pc and JUST using its audio in/out for that

Tell me more.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Coxswain Balls posted:

I'm trying to view the hydrogen line by following this paper as a base, and so far I've got the thing bashed together at least. It was snowing today so I couldn't set it up outside, but it's working well enough to triangulate some spurious emissions on 1419 MHz somewhere on campus. If I want to fine tune things more it sounds like I need a VNA, but I'm not sure which one I should get. NooElec has the NanoVNA H4 and the NanoVNA v2 SAA2 for the same price ($163 CAD), and while it seems like I should just go with the latter because it has a higher frequency range, I'm sure there must be more to it than that which I'm missing.

The guys in the microwave lab seem pretty interested in what I'm doing, but I couldn't work up the nerve to ask them if I can hook a piece of cookware up to a $100k Agilent VNA.

It's a tool that analyzes, if they seem interested just ask as the worst is they just nope out.

As far as the NanoVNA, it is a nifty lil tool that plays nicely for things like this (just use the software instead of the builtin interface) so that also is an option. Don't know if there are cheaper versions that might work and am now starting to wonder if my "NanoVNA" was even done by Nooelec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Isn't the "quad" setup something that is good for things like EME/Meteor scatter type work?