Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Hi ham Goons. I've been interested in amateur radio for number of years (my uncle has a fancy-pants rig in southern Missouri), and this thread convinced me to look into reviving this interest. As my first radio/training wheels for the Tech test, I was thinking of buying this Baofeng radio (https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-BF-F8HP-Two-Way-136-174MHz-400-520MHz/dp/B00MAULSOK/). Any thoughts or issues known about this system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Thanks y'all for all your advice! That last YouTube video was really convincing wrt how bad BaoFang "radios" are.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I took and passed my Technician license today! I almost passed the General too, but that's ok. I may go impuse buy a Yaesu tonight if I can find one in a brick and mortar store. Also the local radio club apparently gives out free Baofengs to newbies at their first meeting? That's pretty rad.

This hobby is gonna be awesome!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Halah posted:

Is that the one that has/used to have an online stream? I seem to remember listening to an LA repeater a few years back wondering how they got away with all the poo poo they were pulling.

edit: haha hell yeah, it's still there - http://www.435online.com

Like many of the links in the older posts in this thread, this one is dead. Google found the new streaming site for the LA 435 repeater, and mother of god these people are loving insane. I just listened to a ten minute convo about how bad cat poo poo smells.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

SoundMonkey posted:

anyone got enough arthritis and ailments to make a new OP?

Could we call it "Amateur Radio: No Hobby For Young Men?"

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Progressive JPEG posted:

Regretting giving these people a bunch of money now, ughhhh

I'm sure there's a world where this balances out somehow

Ugh, that's loving gross.

I got my Yaesu in the mail yesterday and I got to check out the local club's net. I can already tell I won't be happy for long being stuck in the 2m/70cm bands, so I better get going on studying for the General!

Also seriously maybe we should start a new thread, the OP is almost a decade old.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Vir posted:

Indeed. QRO contesting, satellites, EME and meteor scatter is the name of the game. Personally I'm still rocking an FT-817 for portable QRP operation.

I concur. Talking on repeaters in the Colorado/Wyoming hinterlands holds little appeal for me, but I DESPERATELY want to build a directional RX/TX antenna with computerized tracking capability from scratch so I can link to satellites as they pass over my house.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Greetings hamgoons! I passed my General exam on December 1, so now I can play with the big kids on HF and get away from this repeater-hogging smoothbrains. I may build a small 80/40m rig to tide me over until I save up to build my shack and buy something proper. I have my eyes set on a Yaesu FT-991A, it looks baller.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Qu Appelle posted:

Passed my General :hellyeah:

Gratz on that ticket friend!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

wolrah posted:

on a shittier version of the internet.

Sounds like an internet where the Eternal September never happened.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

fordan posted:

I think my favorite experience with this was when I was operating a special event station for Skywarn Appreciation Day at the local NWS office, and someone asked me my call (vs the event's), if I was an Extra, and proceeded to attempt to quiz me on the contents of the exam and went on a tirade against "paper Extras."

No matter the activity, there will always be people who rave about others

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Progressive JPEG posted:

Are there any HTs with a UI that's intended for use by humans? I have an FT-60 and I gotta read the manual each time I use it.

Gut gud

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Hi radio goons. I'm planning my first radio shack, as I'm moving to a new house with a great layout for one, and I'm trying to decide what I want. Currently I'm leaning towards a Yaesu FT-991A as my first shack rig, as it should allow me to do a wide variety of things with one unit for a reasonable price.

Any pros or cons to this approach?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

blugu64 posted:

Been absent from the ham radio hobby for a few years. Do I want a DMR or DStar digital radio? I’ve got two clubs local, and one has DStar repeaters and the other DMR repeaters.

Edit:and with DStar, if I use a repeater reflector, am I linking the entire repeater, or just my connection to the remote repeater? It would be pretty cool to just link the remote repeater to your radio via the local repeater (so that you don’t bother a bunch of folks on your local repeater).

I'm pretty sure it's the repeater itself being connected to the reflector. AFAIK you can't generate any "private" links to repeaters and the like.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

blugu64 posted:

Sounds like the old irlp setups then. That’s too bad, I’d take advantage of that if DStar supported it. Don’t really care about the privacy so much as being courteous about the traffic.

I really wouldn't worry about it, most repeaters are dead most of the time, so grab yourself a chunk of time when the repeater is quiet and go hog wild.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Sniep posted:

Oh, sorry -- that's pretty much it though.

I bought a house in the armpit of denver for "cheap" and had a semblance of a yard and threw up a pole for 2m/6m... but for HF my first attempt was a doublet style dipole and i strung it across the long edge of my roof, towards my back "yard". (no real ability to put up a tower or anything for HF)

Apparantly, the HVAC control wires traverse half the house parallel to how I had the doublet mounted to the house.

I think Jonny290 broke skin helping me build it out

Anyway, I was super low power transmitting for testing on 40m (like 10 watts) and every other time i TX'd the air conditioning would cut off and restart

I'm very smart so I tried again at like 40 watts, I can only suppose to "test the theory" and I was the winner.

Then I called support and spent 2 hours diagnosing while telling them verbatim what I did, and they sent a replacement out overnight delivery.

Hi there fellow Front Range hamgoon. Longmont resident here. I've been off the 2m/70cm bands since this repeater troll has popped up in the area, do you know if they got that guy stomped out yet?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Jonny 290 posted:

Haha, we get them now and then but this one sounds thirsty. Details?

(i think sniep and i are pretty much QRT right now because RL busy-ness and also...yeah, politics)

Well I tuned into the Longmont ARC Thursday and the guy would either make these "waka waka waka waka" noises or play songs using the keypad on his radio. He's apparently in the know enough to track down multiple different nets and destroy them. Like who has the time to do that?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Michael Jackson posted:

I managed to contact people with an yaesu vx-1 today, i am finally a radio talker!

>Googles "Yaesu VX-1"

drat that's a tiny radio!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

soy posted:

I always have vx6r in my bag modded to tx any freq. even at full price it’s a drat good radio.

Got any deets on this mod?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

uli2000 posted:

The Alinco DJ-C5T would disagree. About the size of a stack of 8 or so credit cards. With such features as 300mw output and mosquito repeller listed as a feature!

Oh neat! I may try to find a used one somewhere.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
The Extra is one of the most intimidating tests I've seen in years. I think it's way harder than the GRE.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Just FYI the longer bands are on fire tonight, a ton of people are participating in a CQ DX event. You can listen in on https://www.websdr.org if you don't have an HF rig of your own.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
To be able to listen to local stuff online, someone physically near you needs to set up an antenna to receive signals, then pipe them through their receiver into the internet and tell webSDR about it so they can post the link.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
But but but that FT-991A is so hot!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Qu Appelle posted:

Found how to submit my name change to the FCC, submitted it wrong, got it rejected, got an actual paper filled with Governmentese that basically said :wrong: , called the FCC, resubmitted my license change the correct way...and the Government shuts down.

:patriot:

U S A U S A U S A

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I recently moved from Longmont, CO, and I would routinely hit the 310 repeater sitting in my kitchen with my Yaesu HT. That fucker was always popping.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

What is happening here?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Big Mackson posted:

tfw there is activity on ham bands

What band and where are you to be getting all those hamwaves coming at ya?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Big Mackson posted:

It owns that one can see the invisible world and gain dark and forbidden knowledg- whops wrong thread

You're not. Go on...

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

mashed_penguin posted:

Only g-string a ham is likely to get.

Prostitutes are much less expensive than radios.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Partycat posted:

I should send two low resolution melons over SSTV.

SSTV is fascinating but I don't know if I could resist the temptation to build a pirate radio rig to blast :goatsecx: at 6.995 for 10 minutes at a time on random Saturday nights

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Buh, but why would you install all of that without a ticket?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Pimblor posted:

The whole thing seems fishy.

Here's the announcement:
https://www.ampr.org/amprnet/

How is such a small unelected committee responsible for a whole class A? And who gets to decide where these million(s) go?

edit: it also sounds like they're gonna dump a lot more

Meh. If they're correct and that massive block of IP addys are largely unused, then sure sell them to AWS who cares.

It doesn't seem that they're pocketing the money but rather using the funds to run a non-profit and to set up scholarships and grants for amateurs. Sounds on the level to me.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Jonny 290 posted:

I should just run a rotating savings account to buy new icom rigs

IC-705 to be announced this weekend

10 watts, hf+6+2m+70cm

What am I even looking at here?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Hm, so it's probably gonna cost about the same as a Yaesu FT-991A with 1/10th the wattage output?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Jonny 290 posted:

lots of fun though if you're into staring at a screen and sipping coffee and cranking out massive amounts of RF at 4 in the morning

Do...do some people NOT think that's fun?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

manero posted:

Oh man, I've never wanted a 3d printer really but printing custom enclosures for projects & baluns, and various antenna wire insulators might be my killer app for it.

Oh poo poo fuckin' same

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Tonight’s lesson in RF: Antennas are really complex but also they aren’t?

These are both extremely expensive enterprise-grade WiFi antennas. I took them apart to see if there was any logic on them that might need to be powered for them to work.

Nope

:wtc:

At least the BelAir one helpfully came with SMA to N adapters

Do you have a before disassembly picture for us?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Getting a western geostat would be pretty baller, that's true.

I doubt you'll see a bunch of cranky old ragchewers suddenly see the light about their poo poo politics though, their ideas are left-behind bullshit and they'll cling to them until their grave. The two ways to fix amateur repeater culture is 1) time, or 2) a real good flu season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Here's a question that I can't seem to get answered: wtf is up with burying wires at the base of an antenna? Like, what, the theoretical and practical reasons for doing this? I cant seem to find a straight forward answer.