Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Inspired by this thread, I aced the Technician exam today. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BigHustle posted:

Excellent! What part of the hobby are you interested in pursuing? Anything specific, or a little of everything?

Initially, I'm just looking to do some rag chewing on the local nets and get on EchoLink, since that's all my dad and uncle use anymore. After I upgrade my license and get some decent equipment I'd like to try using satellites, build a SDR rig, and experiment with digital modes.

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I passed my test for General at a hamfest in Birmingham on the 5th, but haven't shown up on the FCC ULS database yet. How long should I wait before suspecting that something is wrong?

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Huntsvegas.

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I passed Element 3 to upgrade my license to General on 3/3/11. I'm still listed as a Technician in the FCC ULS database. Looking at my copy of my CSCE I see that, while my street address is correct, the city is incorrect. They put in the city where I took the test, rather than the city in which my station resides. I'm guessing this might be the reason I haven't seen my license upgrade show up on the FCC's database. I tried emailing the email address for the VE's from the ham club who administered my test, but it bounced back as undeliverable. I'd like to avoid making this a public issue, but short of taking a two hour drive to one of their local meetings, I'm not sure what other options I have. I'm sure they're good people and I don't want to act like a dick, but I also would like to get my license upgraded. Does anyone have advice?

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I'd like to get in on the Google+ SAARS circle.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/113650607369227115470/posts

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I just got my first HF rig up and running, built almost entirely from donated parts. The radio is an IC-720A, tuner is an MFJ-949E, a gigantic non-switching 35A power supply, and I'm running a dipole tuned for 40m in an inverted V. This old radio works pretty well.

Dijkstra posted:

Has anyone built any large loop antennas? Any pointers? I'm moving to a house with a large lot soon and was thinking about putting up a window line-fed 40 meter loop. Probably either a vertical delta loop or a horizontal skywire. (leaning towards skywire)
I helped the guy who gave me the tuner put up an 80m horizontal loop made out of electric fence wire strung up 8m off the ground around the perimeter of his back yard, fed with window line, and he loves it.

Edit: The contest this weekend makes this a crazy time to start operating on HF. I'm just listening to the contest folks and searching for quiet bands to practice tuning up.

Curly Shuffle fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 26, 2012

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
What's the status of SAARS?

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
That makes sense, since I've noticed I can get in the ballpark tuning up with a manual antenna tuner "by ear" just hearing how the background noise gets stronger as I work the knobs.

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I'm curious about the ratio of people who use manual antenna tuners versus automatic tuners. When I was putting my HF station together I was gifted with 3 manual tuners from various Elmers, so I've been using the best of those to earn my bones. However, I've been hearing anecdotes about people hooking lawn chairs to automatic tuners and working contacts and I'm tempted to get one for myself. So I'm curious about who's doing it by hand/ear and who just presses button.

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
What's the status of SAARS? Has AG0ON made any contacts?

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Hi, radio Goons! I haven't powered up my station in a few years, but I'm thinking of getting back to it. Is SAARS still a thing?

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
One of those plug-in outlet testers shows I have a good ground in the outbuilding I use for my radio shack. I sank an 8' ground rod right outside the shack next to where my feed lines come in. My power supply, transceiver, tuner, and end-fed sloper are all grounded to the ground rod. Is it cool that I have essentially two paths to ground (the ground rod outside the shack and wherever the AC outlets are grounded to)?

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Thanks for the info. I'll just trust the outlet tester and not connect anything to the new ground rod. I just saw ground screws on the equipment and thought, "Maybe I should connect that to something."

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
My end fed antenna manual (MFJ-1984MP) wants a safety ground. Would connecting the new ground rod to only the antenna be ok?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

So here's the thing, there's your building electrical ground, then there's what's on this sheet, an antenna/radio ground. And never the two shall meet (except for in exceptionally specific situations that are not relevant here).

If your radio is 12v and you are running it off of a power supply connected to your building electrical system it's already separate from the grounding of your building electrical (in most cases). Then you go hog wild with your antenna grounds like in that diagram and/or your buried radials, all of which are grounds. You tie all of that together to the ground on your radio and whatever else is in the path of the antenna like tuners, etc.

This "ground separation unless they are properly bonded per code" is not only a safety thing, it will also keep a lot of potential noise out of your gear.

Thanks for this explanation. :)