Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Dielectric posted:

Got an Android Phone?
http://sdrtouch.com/

Works with my Moto X, but I have to hub it because it draws too much power from the USB port.
I use my RTL-SDR with sdrtouch and one of these to supply power on an old cell phone. It's a little fiddly (everything has to be plugged into the OTG cable before plugging it into the phone) but it seems to work well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Spaced God posted:

An aside, Amazon suggests I get UHF SO239 PL259 female to MCX male right angle and SMA male to MCX male connectors. Are these necessary for just plugging the SDR into a Raspberry Pi?
For ADS-B the stock antenna should work OK, so I wouldn't worry about getting any of the adapters you listed.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

quote:

Ham Op 3rd Most Popular Costume this Halloween Season

Middletown, Conn. — According to Venture Costumes, a Halloween costume retailer, Sexy Nurses and Teen Zombies had better watch out. “If you follow our market data, there is a significant, wide-spread interest in dressing up like a Ham Radio Operator for Halloween, and we want to meet that demand,” said CEO Matt Larr.

The company has rolled out its much-researched “Ham Kit” in time for trick-or-treating and wild office parties. “I spent a lot of time with a scanner listening to local repeaters. I even snuck into a few club meetings to really get into the belly of the beast. I was horrified and bewildered,” noted Evie Christian, lead costume designer for Venture. “In my opinion, I think I’ve come up with a great, terrifying product.”

Venture’s “Ham Kit” comes bundled with clothing, hair/beard dye, and accessories. The clothing portion includes a pair of off-orange Crocs, a pair of “broken-in” sweatpants, “LET’S FREQ!” novelty shirt, and a pair of rose-tinted glasses. Accessories include a Beofunger plastic HT with open squelch effect, blood glucose monitoring kit, LED callsign badge and embroidered callsign hat. A bonus “Ham Musk” spray which promises to “Bring Terror to the Senses!” is available for $5.99.

At press time, there were talks of a possible “Sexy Ham” novelty costume for women, however Venture’s creative team was having issues bridging the gap between the two concepts. The Ham Kit will be available at department stores soon with a MSRP of $31.00 USD.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Kennebago posted:

Thanks - what about DIY receiver kits for HF bands, any newbie-friendly ones?

I think it'd be neat to build my own and listen to longer range traffic while I'm studying for General and getting used to using a radio locally.
My suggestion would be an RTL-SDR with something like a Ham It Up upconverter. Add the NooElec 1:9 balun and you'll be able to just hook up a random wire antenna and go.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

xergm posted:

Found this over in the OSHA thread. Be extra careful when messing around with the insides of a tube rig.
As the old saying goes, "Even if you know what you're doing, you should still keep one hand in your back pocket to avoid getting shocked. If you don't know what you're doing, keep both hands in your back pockets."

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

That looks really nice.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

yaesu ft-100 (Do not buy, some of them had final amps that were really flaky and you can't find the replacement module at any price)
Jonny is right about the FT-100 being a piece of junk, ask me how I know!

nmfree posted:

So I get back from passing my test, and my FT-100 decided that the AM/SSB receive isn't going to work anymore. :smith: Apparently, there's not much that can be done because Yaesu doesn't support the radio anymore. So, now I have a $400 dual band V/UHF radio that isn't very reliable on either band (the finals are made out of paper or something).
That was eight years ago, and I'm still salty about it.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Totally Reasonable posted:

I can listen fine already with my stupid SW setup at home, which is the silly version of 50ft of speaker wire. What I need is a couple of man-portable antennas for QRP 20 & 40 that I can chuck up into a tree and use to work data modes while sipping coffee on some godforsaken mountain.
Search for "A Tree-Mounted HF Groundplane Antenna" in this .pdf. Immediately after that they cover inverted-L antennas, which might be what you're looking for as well.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

quote:

Amateur Electronic Supply (AES) Going Out of Business

Amateur Electronic Supply (AES) has announced that it is ceasing operations as of the end of July, 2016.

The Milwaukee-based retailer has four locations around the country, including Milwaukee; Cleveland (Wickliffe), Ohio; Las Vegas, Nevada and Orlando, Florida. It has long been the nation's second-largest ham radio dealer, after Ham Radio Outlet. No reason was given for the decision to close the business.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

SoundMonkey posted:

hi, absentee slumlord here, did you guys want the thread title cha-

WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING TO CHINESE RADIOS
Now show me on the exploded diagram where he touched you, Billy.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

iospace posted:

I'm sort of getting into it because I did some DJing back in college, and the whole "broadcasting something that's your own" appeals to me.

Also talking to some random person cross town or however far you can broadcast is cool.
With certain narrow exceptions (think RC planes, etc.), amateur radio operators are not allowed to broadcast (defined as one-way communication) at all.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

xergm posted:

Separation should probably be a foot or so from any metal, which would include the metal unistrut, so you'll want a little section of rope to let the center down a little.
I'd use a Fiberglas pole instead of Unistrut (or anything else conductive).

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

poeticoddity posted:

Is the text version transmitted somewhere?
As far as I know, no.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

poeticoddity posted:

I had considered that, but I live near the border of two NOAA broadcast zones so I've always gotten significant static with all 3 radios I've tried (a Baofeng and two Yaesus).

I think I'm going to just shelve this idea and find something else worth doing with an SDR at some point.
You could always head down the rabbit hole of homebrewing an antenna like a Yagi that would give you some gain on the frequencies you want. Or you could pick one of these up, they work decently for not a lot of money.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

that being said, i really want the tarted up icom version, the p7a

hard to find
They should have had it at 27.185 for that picture. :colbert:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

Hopefully they're wise enough to stretch VHF RX through 162 mhz for NOAA weather, fatal flaw in the 817 in my opinion.
I wouldn't hold my breath. If Yaesu couldn't be bothered to fix that after 17 years (or whatever) of people complaining then Icom probably won't either.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

ahahaha what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Pimblor posted:

so are they whackers for knocking lights out at the gas station, or are they whackers for the uhhhhhh other reference

Read through some of Hamsexy, you'll get the idea.