Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Dolemite posted:

As an aside, I'm curious what is "amateurish" about amateur radio? What is it called amateur?
Because those who have amateur licenses are individuals who use radio for personal and volunteer purposes. It's been a while since I last went over the rules, but I think it's illegal to use amateur radio for any sort of monentary gain (using the autopatch to order pizza is a legal gray area). Or at least, if it's not outright illegal, it's very much frowned upon.

Furthermore, amateur radio is not a "broadcast" medium--it's stricly meant for point-to-point transmissions where you expect (or at least attempt) to communicate with someone. The fact that third parties can pick up these transmissions is an incidental fact of how radio transmissions work. The point is that you're not suppose to blab out advertisements or whatever "for the masses", that's what commercial radio is for.

Plus, the whole point of amateur radio is to provide an incentive for a reasonable proportion of the general population (i.e., those who are not radio professionals) to maintain knowlege of and access to radio equipment so that we may depend on them in emergencies and disaster scenarios. And as any ham who has participated in a safety, mock disaster, or even a real emergency net knows, amateurs are really good as running them.

Dolemite posted:

And that begs the question: What is "professional" radio? Is that FM radio run by Clear Channel or something?
Presumably any radio service that's meant to be used in a profession. That may be commercial/broadcast radio, or radios used in public service (police, firemen, paramedics) or private service (taco bell headsets).

There's a bunch of interesting points about amateur radio licensing, but the three I find particularly amusing are:

• It is illegal to transmit music, except as part of an incidental retransmission of those from a space shuttle.
  • Amateur radio is the only (I think?) radio service that doesn't require the use of licensed equipment, or allows the use of modified licensed equipment. This is why you can build your own radio. However, as a ham, the onus is on you to make sure it is functioning within the license.
  • GMRS radio is the most similar licensing class that an individual can purchase for use of 5 W radios for personal use on a restricted number of freqencies. Most "walkie-talkies" you see in the stores these days are actually GMRS radios. Legally, you're required to pay for a license at the cost of $85 for five years. On the other hand, amateur radio allows for the use of a much broader class of equipment, for a much cheaper license cost ($14 last I checked) renewable every ten years for free.
I should point out that there are FRS radios which may be used without license. They use frequencies that lie in the GMRS band, but the radio themselves are limited to 500 mW output. Most of GMRS radios do FRS frequencies too--but I think finding FRS-only radios are rare. I'm not sure if it's legal to use GMRS radios without licnese on FRS frequencies within the 500 mW power output--I'd assume it's technically not, although nobody would know.

Edit: One more interesitng license fact, you're not allowed to obfuscate your transmission in any way that would prevent a third party from being able to interpret it. I imagine this was to avoid people using voice scramblers or the likes, but it has interesting implications for 802.11.

802.11 (WiFi) uses the ISM band. As it turns out, this portion of the 2.4 GHz space is primarilly licensed for amateur use. So it's totally kosher to take an 802.11 radio, put an amplifier on it and use it to increase transmission power (and thus, reception distance) so long as you're obliging all other amateur radio requirements (such as throwing your callsign in a ping packet every ten minutes). However, a strict interpretation of the license means you can't use encryption--so ssh and https are out, although it's not quite clear if this is actually the case.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 17, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

YouTuber posted:

How exactly can anyone track whether or not you repeat your callsign every 10 minutes or so? If you don't what exactly are they going to do about it?
Although the license requires you to do so, it's really just a courtesy thing more than anything else. The idea is that anyone who tunes in can figure out who's talking on the air after just listening for ten minutes.

Usually you have to grossly violate the rules, for a long period of time, for the FCC to actually hunt you down. Although, the FCC will do so if needed (like they tend to go after pirate radio stations). I imagine the only scenario in which the callsign rule would be actively enforced would be if a repeater (which squats on a frequency for a very long time--pretty much indefinitely) was failing to identify itself, then folks would make an active effort to contact the owner to have the repeater properly ID itself, involving the FCC if need be.

But the point of amateur radio is not to skirt around the rules, or to try to meet them to the letter but not in spirit. The rules are motivated by courtesy and safety, and failure to adhere to them is either outright dangerous, or an insult to the community. That's really the reason why people follow them--yeah, you could probably get away with not doing so and little would happen in the short term. But most license holders view it as a privilege, and are proud to be a member of the community, so the disingenuous mentality really just isn't prevalent.