Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I have the Anytone D878UV and it seems to work fine. UI is roughly as confusing as the FT-60, as is conventional for HTs, and the body feels as sturdy as an FT-60 as well.

I haven't used it a ton but it picks up DMR repeaters and the analog national system here just fine. Happened to turn it on just now and caught the tail end of someone's conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

BTW for people shopping for PO box options, when we moved overseas we had set up an account at Traveling Mailbox and it's worked very well for accepting random forwarded mail that we were still getting after the move. We just went with the 15/mo plan, figuring that we could upgrade later if needed, but it's been plenty.

When setting it up they will want you to notarize a USPS form that essentially authorizes them to read mail that is sent to them. This is needed for the on-request mail scanning functionality. The same company (I think?) also does a video-based notary service if going to a bank to notarize a form isn't feasible. In my case I ended up using this since I was already overseas and getting to a US notary would have been difficult and expensive otherwise.

Once set up it effectively gives you a mailing address in a warehouse somewhere in the Carolinas, where they'll send you an email when mail arrives and you can use a web interface to request and read scans.

But FYI if you try to use it as a Physical Address with your bank, they may give you an angry call.

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 17, 2020

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

If your trees are really wobbly could go with something like this:
- attach pulley to tree (id say a good marine one with stainless hardware because its worth not needing to go back up there to fix it)
- tie rope to end of antenna wire, possibly using one of those plastic or fiberglass isolator things
- put rope through pulley in tree
- tie weight to end of rope to provide tension from gravity but free movement when the tree sways

something like this, or could instead bolt right into the tree:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I had three redwoods in a triangle with pulleys up like 60 ft, paid tree trimmers to bolt them in. I wanted to avoid paying someone to come by and fix them in the future, so I attached a loop of good rope (bought from DX engineering) to each pulley that reached all the way to the ground, then had tie downs at the base of the trunk to provide tension. Antennas were then attached to the loops and pulled up into the trees. The redwoods didnt sway much so the loops themselves (and length of rope involved) provided plenty of slack when the loops were tied down

The loop setup meant that I could pull down the antenna. I could have even replaced the rope itself by tying another rope into the loop and pulling it through. Otherwise I would've needed to pay someone to come by when I wanted to change anything.

Because the pulleys would be expensive to fix if they got stuck or corroded, I got some fancy stainless boat ones from a boating supply store for $$$$, and also got some big stainless screws from the same store to attach them to the tree (it sounded like even galvanized doesn't do great in redwood over years).

Of course this was in the bottom of a valley with 20-40 deg horizons since that's where redwoods live, so I usually only got out to a couple states away. But it was a really sweet setup and the loops made it easy to mess with the antenna and even adjust the way it was angled between the trees

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The fully lit protruding rx/tx lights above the knobs are just

:jackbud:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I got a LeoNTP a while back to fulfill my time nerd needs. It's expensive for what it is but it has suited regardless

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I'd just get it running with whatever's easiest to get set up before digging too deep into less well documented variants.

I haven't messed too much with containers and USB devices, it's possible the containers will need extra privileges applied before they'll be able to talk to USB. You can just run them as privileged=true if you don't want to deal with assigning more granular capabilities, but privileged=true is a bit more risky in terms of system security. The above post meanwhile is confusing containerd with dockerd/moby, which have indeed historically been trash but not in ways that matter for a spare time project. containerd meanwhile is fine.

The RPi4 with 4GB should be fine for running most ham software but you'll need to deal with cross-compiling things for arm7 or arm8/64, depending on which OS you've installed. I've had good luck running Ubuntu 20.04 with arm8/64, a big pain point is that cross-arch docker images are often unavailable, but I've been building images using img with qemu on my laptop and that's worked pretty well.

But ultimately I'd imagine that just finding the signals consistently will be the bigger thing to figure out. Low signal modes like JT65 are intended to still work below the ambient noise level and can be difficult to find without foreknowledge of the frequency to be processed.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I also have an FT60 and the fact that I need to relearn the interface from first principles every time I want to use it isn't great. So I end up not using it very much, which in turn makes that relearning process worse.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I used hamstudy.org for tech+general and then later extra and it was great for all three

e: got 100% on tech, missed one question on general, 100% on extra

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Maybe they changed something recently?

quote:

Renew your license through the Universal Licensing System (ULS) at any time within 90 days of the expiration date for the license and up to two years after the license expires.

From here

I'd still renew in that window before expiration, just in case. Got the reminder calendar events already set up

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

yoloer420 posted:

Right?
  • $90 for the exam
  • $35 for the callsign
  • $80 for the initial licence issuance
  • $55 annually for licence renewal
It's hosed. Plus the whole process seems to be manual. Everything is handled by editing and emailing pdfs.

For comparison's sake in NZ it's around NZ$100 (~US$60-70) all in for the exam/registration, but then there's no expiration nor renewals after that

e: also for better or worse there's only one license class, so no fees to be had from upgrades

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 28, 2021

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

It'd be a pretty good machine learning problem but you'd need to have years of labeled training data

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I once had a sweet ground system consisting of three ground rods spanning two sides of the house, with the rods bonded to each other with a solid copper strap that itself was slightly buried. The circuit breaker panel and water service pipe were connected to this. Antennas were grounded against this system at a wall panel where the feed lines went into the house. So everything was tied together into a single overkill system.

It worked well, for example a few months after this was all set up, a tree limb had fallen in a storm on the overhead electrical cable to the house and the service neutral was disconnected. The only symptom over the following few weeks was that the microwave wasn't working right, everything else was the same. Was about to get a new microwave until when on a hunch I found that an outlet on the same circuit had a ~15v voltage drop when the seemingly faulty microwave was running, at which point I found the dangling connection out by the street.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

hamstep: binary mode where a fast wub is 0 and a slow wub is 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Relative to each other I'd say general isn't that much harder than tech, while extra is significantly more material/effort (but not necessarily horrible either).

In my case I did tech+general in one exam visit pretty easily, followed by extra in a separate visit a couple months later. Over those couple months I was semi-regularly studying the extra exam material until the hamstudy.org test exams were consistently passing.