Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

depending on the baofeng it might be able to go over 5w, which is illegal for gmrs iirc. you might need to lock that down in addition to frequencies

GMRS allows up to 50W depending on the station type and channel combination. You can read all the rules here:
47 C.F.R. Part 95 Subpart E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

The general license gets you additional privileges on HF beyond what you can do with the technician license. If you mainly want to chat on 2m and 70cm repeaters then technician is what you need. It's worth reading over the general license content and test questions before you take the test though, because if you pass the technician test then you get a free shot at the general test too in the same test session. That's how I ended up getting my general ticket. I had planned to just go for technician and the VEs talked me into giving the general a shot.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

It's not exactly email over radio but there exists an APRS to SMS gateway. APRS is a system for propagating packet data over amateur radio using 1200 baud modem tones. The protocol stack is a variant of X.25. I've been able to make it work with a $30 Baofeng handheld, an audio cable to my laptop, and some nifty software called Direwolf that emits and decodes modem noises through the sound card.

Of course, you do need to get your Technician license first in order to transmit legally.