Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Just a question from someone who knows very little about modern amateur radio.

My interest comes from the world of aviation. I have been helping out quite a bit with the Stratux ADS-B project and cannot make full use of it because the network of ground stations simply do not exist (and probably never will) in Canada.

I'm thinking that because Stratux uses SDR's and can be tuned to just about any frequency why not make my own ground station operating on an amateur band (with the appropriate lisences).

Is this a stupid idea? Is a constant digital broadcast like this frowned upon in the amateur radio world? I there already a network that can handle the data required to transmit weather data (Mostly text based but also radar imagery).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helno
Jun 19, 2003

I had seen APRS and am wondering if it can handle the volume of data required to transmit weather radar.

There appear to be ways to automatically upload METAR's to it so that is nice.

Where things get a bit fishy is do I just start a web service pulling data from official sources and sending them to the APRS network via the intenet and it will automatically get broadcast by the network?

There appears to be a guy with a tower in my town so I might just have to get in touch with him and go from there.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

The broadcast idea is the reason why I dont think APRS is a good idea. Getting Metars and tafs is better than nothing but ideally getting all the weather products offered by FIS-B would be the plan.

I only need unidirectional communications and the signal should be able to be picked up by a cheap SDR with a smallish antenna.

It really is unfortunate that the government doesnt just build out a ground tower network that is compatible with the American network.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Passed my basic with honors today.

A bit awkward writing a test with a stranger watching TikTok videos across the table from me.

VE3BHQ

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Supersonic posted:

So after lurking this thread for a while, I've decided to go for my license and enrolled in a 10 week course to help study for it. I'm in Canada, and if you score above 80/100 you get what I believe is the equivalent of the American General license and can operate on HF bands. I've been thinking of getting something like an Icom-7300 once I pass, but was just wondering about the antenna situation. I live in a city on the third (top) floor of an apartment complex with a balcony which is about 25-30ft off the ground. Will I be able to get decent contacts on 20m or 40m? I was thinking of using something like this loop antenna:

https://www.eham.net/reviews/view-product?id=15020

I recently got licensed.

I just used this web page for about a week. And then used the ISED practise test page.

https://www.hamstudy.com/index.html
https://ised-isde.canada.ca/site/amateur-radio-operator-certificate-services/en/amateur-radio-exam-generator

You might want to look at some of the cheaper and more portable radios available now. I bought a Xiegu G90.

Perhaps a pole antenna on your balcony would be a good option.