Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines
Have you guys heard of the 600 meter experimental group?

quote:

NEWINGTON, CT, Sep 15, 2006 -- (As of September 13, 2006) The FCC's Office of Engineering and Technology has granted a Part 5 experimental license to the ARRL on behalf of a group of radio amateurs interested in investigating spectrum in the vicinity of 500 kHz. Experimental license WD2XSH was issued September 13. The two-year authorization permits experimentation and research between 505 and 510 kHz (600 meters) using narrowband modes at power levels of up to 20 W effective radiated power (ERP). ARRL Member Fritz Raab, W1FR, of Vermont, will serve as experimental project manager for "The 500 KC Experimental Group for Amateur Radio."

Also, General class ham checkin' in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Sirotan posted:

And another thing, for some reason in my state (Michigan) along with getting a special license plate to denote if you were a veteran of a past war or a POW, you can get a special plate that says amateur radio on it. (See a pic here: http://michigan.gov/documents/standard_collector_plate_application_49871_7.pdf)

Maybe this "hobby" (sorry not sure what term to use here) is just a lot larger/more popular than I think it is?
Given the studying and amount of work put into obtaining a license, many hams are proud of their 'ticket' and wish to show it off, if you will. But it also serves a more serious purpose. In times of disaster, having a ham license plate is an easy way to identify yourself to the authorities and emergency personnel as a legit responder should you show up to help.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

happy purring catfish posted:

Ahaha, I knew the subject of 435 would surface eventually. That repeater is basically the retard bin that keeps mentally damaged operators from infesting the other repeaters.

edited for clarity
Is that the one that has/used to have an online stream? I seem to remember listening to an LA repeater a few years back wondering how they got away with all the poo poo they were pulling.

edit: haha hell yeah, it's still there - http://www.435online.com

Halah fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 18, 2008

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Dog Case posted:

I'd love to hear if anybody else has goofy identification messages on your local repeaters.

A nearby one recently switched to a recording of a little kid who can't be older than 5 reading the repeater's call sign. Another one had a fairly normal recorded ID except the word "repeater" after the call was in a booming radio voice with a bunch of reverb. One plays the Westminster Chime in DTMF tones before announcing the time on the hour.
On the local 146.76 repeater, if you touch-tone 41 you get one of these

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Hu Fa Ted posted:

Well, his comment was that it sounded like I had a spark gap generator next to the microphone. For this test, I had the engine on and revving so if it was noise getting into my transmitted audio I would think this test would actually be fairly valid. If there were QRM or QRN near me or on top of me that shouldn't have given me a bad audio report (and I mean this guy was a dick so that may have been it.) He didn't ID so I have no idea how far away he was but he was an easy S7 or S8.

Here's the test.

That was perfectly readable to me. Sure, there is noise, but that sounds completely normal to these ears.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Mister Fister posted:

Just out of curiosity, how do people sound on Ham Radio? They're really low frequency waves, so it sounds bad, right?
Not necessarily, which unfortunately makes your question kinda vague. Lower frequencies do tend to have interference, just like you find on AM radio. Ham operators in the US have use of frequencies starting at 1800 kHz, which is at the upper end of the AM band (around 1700 on your AM dial). We also have frequencies all the way above 275 GHz to use, which would be about 275,000 on your FM dial (yeah, the one that goes from 87-108) :) . The audio snip that Hu Fa Ted provided a few posts above is a good indication of what the lower end sounds like. On the upper end, what you listen to on the radio in your car is a good indicator of what we use would sound like.

Edit: I just moved to a new area, so I'm finding all kinds of resources. Here is a recording of some of the activity taking place around 146 mHz.

Halah fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 14, 2008

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Welp, I got my official "welcome to Ohio" in the mail today. Crap, that reminds me, that's one more place I need to update my address...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Jose Pointero posted:

Damnit, I need to do the application for my plate...y'all are making me jealous. I'm kinda afraid too though, because isn't having a radio operator plate the equivalent of having a sign that says "HEY THIEVES CHECK DIS CAR FOR LOTS OF EXPENSIVE RADIO poo poo"? I should just go ahead and get a drat alarm installed.
Eh, I figured the antenna on my car would probably give it away anyway. I keep it in the garage at night, and the mobile rig has a detachable faceplate, so why not?