Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Does anybody make a 2M ONLY antenna with an SMA mount? It seems silly to use a dual/tri band antenna on a mono-band HT.
The Kulduckie antennas look like exactly what I'm looking for, but they only come with BNC mounts :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

I think Darth Vader works for Yaesu's design department.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/0008.html

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

I'd love to hear if anybody else has goofy identification messages on your local repeaters.

A nearby one recently switched to a recording of a little kid who can't be older than 5 reading the repeater's call sign. Another one had a fairly normal recorded ID except the word "repeater" after the call was in a booming radio voice with a bunch of reverb. One plays the Westminster Chime in DTMF tones before announcing the time on the hour.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

McRib Sandwich posted:

edit: as for trainers, I recommend the free Koch trainer by G4FON, where I stole a lot of the info in the above paragraphs from.

Thanks for the link! I've been telling myself that I can't get a HF rig until I upgrade my license, but I think I'm going to add "Learn CW" to my checklist.

This seems to work in Wine for any Linux geeks in here. Only problems I've come across is that the QRM function doesn't work, and sometimes when you hit start you get blasted at a million WPM for about 10 characters before it drops back to normal speed.

Also what the hell is this "Hihi" thing. I understand it's the radio equivalent of "J/K", but where did it come from/what does it mean?

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

McRib Sandwich posted:

So I thought the bands would be packed for Field Day, but in the limited time I've had to scan around, I haven't heard much of anything outside of the usual repeater activity. What gives? Are you guys hearing anything in your areas?

There were a lot of guys on the repeaters talking about getting set up for the day on my way to work. I spent all day inside work which has got to be the absolute worst building I've ever been in as far as RFI, so I didn't get to listen to anything all day.

I did tune around a little on HF after work and 40 meters was so packed I could barely make out any one signal over all the others crowded around it on my old Yaesu. Someone in Florida was the farthest station I picked out (I'm in Washington).

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

blugu64 posted:

We had a pretty bad storm threaten us with some lightning so most of the field day activities had to get pulled...Something about 'safety'.

Pff. If Mountain Dew has taught me anything, it's that Ham Radio and lightning are a perfectly safe combination.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Would anybody be interested in buying a Yaesu VX-1R for $30 or so? If there's any interest I'll post up a proper SA-Mart thread with more details.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

pantstime posted:

Is the UV-5R still a decent first HT? I'm looking and there's a UV-6 now but there don't seem to be any actual significant feature differences.

Practicing for my Basic, but figured it wouldn't hurt to listen while I do.

I have a UV-5R and a UV-B5 (same as the B6 except it has a rotary encoder knob instead of the flashlight). They're more like two completely different radios that do the exact same thing than they are different versions of the same radio.

The only advantages to the UV-5R are a better display with more characters for channel names, and there's a larger battery pack available for it. That's about it.

The UV-B5 and B6 have a smaller display with fewer characters, but they're easier to program (You can name channels when programming manually. With the UV-5R you can only name channels with software), have a better receiver that is a lot better at rejecting interference, and have an actual S-meter on the display. (The UV-5R shows a little antenna with bars like a cell phone, but it's just on/off).

EDIT: Oh also the markings are wearing off of the buttons on my UV-5R, but they're holding up fine on the B5.

Also also, on the UV-5R, the memory mode/VFO mode affects both displayed frequencies, but on the B5/B6, each frequency can be set independently, so you can have one be a programmed memory channel and the other set to VFO mode.

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 17, 2014

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

I just found this on the sidebar when I clicked on something else on imgur.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

This style is supposed to be the only one that fits the larger battery without modifying tabs on the battery case: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008IYCQSO/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_m2X8sb04FWDXCEEZ

.. but the antenna that comes with that one is supposed to be pretty awful.

Some of the newer styles come with a better antenna that's supposed to be as good as any of the cheap replacements, but there's no good way to know what antenna you'll get. I ordered this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C83AU9S/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and got the better antenna even though the photo shows the older style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

There are a few different antennas that come on the Baofeng radios. The one that looks like this is fine and is supposed to be just as good as that $3 one.