Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
KD0BTT checking in. I haven't seen anyone pimping EchoLink yet. Quite the fun little program. All you need is a microphone, speakers, and an internet connection to connect to hams around the world. https://www.echolink.org for those so interested.

It's pretty good for those of us without enough scratch to get an HF rig up, to talk to someone other than your buddies in the local ARC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
Is there a specific channel for this echolink net? I've only ever logged into echolink enabled repeaters, and not net only ones.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
I'm sorry for your loss, but I'd sure be willing to take that stuff off your hands, if the shipping costs wouldn't be too high. If you could let me know what it would cost to ship the lot of it to zip 56721, i'd appreciate it.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
Pretty nice setup you got there. I've only got a few 2m rigs. An Icom IC-2200H in my truck and a kenwood tr-7625 setup as a base station in the house.

Anyone talked to the ISS, or a shuttle while its up? All the talk about how the next several days are going to be good for viewing the ISS got me to look up the frequency and try and get them.

e: its late.. we're in region 2 DUh..

voice downlink 145.8
voice uplink 144.49

mwdan fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 22, 2008

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
This one has a 5-pin connector, though, only 4 are used. Haven't been able to track one down, so I had to rewire this one completely. I think theres a problem with the pickup, because every time I use it, I'm told its quiet as hell. But, I got it, along with an Icom IC-220S and an Azden PCS-3000 for $25 at the local hamfest last year.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
absolutely. As long as you pass the required test, you can take the next one in order. I took all three when I did mine, and only missed extra by I think 12 or 15 points. Which wasn't bad for not having looked at the question pool at all.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
I suppose you could use tindeck for that. But, how far away was the guy you were talking to, as opposed to hitting your base station locally?

Of course it's going to sound really good when you're hitting your base from your driveway or even in town, as opposed to talking to joe in timbuktu.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
Hu Fa Ted- That guy was probably a dick and/or hearing something else in there probably closer to his end. There are guys that are on the local 2m repeater that don't come in that clear.

Just ignore it. I'm sure he's one of those "I have $100,000+ in top of the line gear, so it can't POSSIBLY be on MY end" guys.

And Hala, those should be required on ALL repeaters.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs

elmwood posted:

I don't know if it's appropriate to point it out in this thread or not, but I'm getting rid of an Alinco DJG1-T 2m handheld with a sick battery. Otherwise, it works quite well.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2877532

Thanks for the heads up ;)

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
Our club is doing Field Day this weekend. We're planning on having Digital, CW and Phone covered.

I'll probably be taking a shift or two in the phone shack, so keep an ear out for N0GF, I'm pretty sure we'll be operating under the club call, as opposed to our individual calls.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
Emergency Communications. And thats sweet if they are doing it there. I wish there was something like that going on here, as I'm sort of in line to be the Emergency Co-ordinator for my county, and having that training is something they either require, or are going to require in the near future, for the position.

Are they charging the $45 per course at FD, or is that being waived? The only reason I haven't started those yet, is that I don't have the fees available at the moment.

e: i missed this part, but the EMCOMM training/material is unrelated to Amateur licensing. Those three levels are ARRL courses, and unless you are going to get heavily involved with ARES/Skywarn or other emergency communications, I'm not sure the cost for the courses would be worth it.

mwdan fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 27, 2008

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
Now theres a mobile rig ;)

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
That van is taking it to the extreme. It's basically using whatever you have to get things out during an emergency. There's more to it than that, of course, but that's about it.

And the thing about those courses, is that its $45 EACH LEVEL. So, it's $135 for all 3 Levels.

And the $45 is if you are an ARRL member. I think its $75 a level if you aren't.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
I am, but not entirely for the benefits. If I get the EC appointment, it's a requirement for that.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs

McRib Sandwich posted:

So I thought the bands would be packed for Field Day, but in the limited time I've had to scan around, I haven't heard much of anything outside of the usual repeater activity. What gives? Are you guys hearing anything in your areas?

Was this for the entire event, or just after your post? Since you posted after FD was over.

Our club made 300+ phone contacts 200+ digital contacts and 500+ CW contacts. While I was on yesterday, everything sounded jam packed on phone, but due to wind and some other factors we werent able to get our beam up high enough, or rotatable, until about 6 hours into it, so we weren't getting out as well as we should have for some time.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
We only worked 20m on our voice station, and for about the first 4 hours we had our beam pointed directly into a metal building, since the wind was too bad to crank it up any higher, but we were getting a lot of west coast stuff then, mostly western washington. Not too shabby for eastern ND, but they must have gotten something figured out after I left around 9:30 CDT, because when I came back around 12:00 sunday, they were over 300. I suppose it just depends on where you were I guess.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
Theres been some weather things going on up here as of late. I did 2.5 hours at Natl weather today, and 2 hours on Saturday.

I think everyone was just worn out from FD. I know I needed some time away from comms after that.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs

nmfree posted:

30M is nothing but RTTY and Data.

Fixed that for you. That's the only thing allowed on 30m at all.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
Well, right, but the way you had it worded made it sound like there was a possibility of someone operating on SSB on 30m. So of course you're going to hear digital modes on 30 ;)

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
When I was out at national weather for Skywarn last night, the gal I was working with mentioned she talked to a guy in Superior, WI off of a skip from here in Grand Forks, ND on her 2m rig Saturday morning.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
It may or may not be that bad, I think I only missed getting Extra by about 10 questions last year, and I never even looked at the Extra question pool beforehand.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
I just got an old National NCX-3 20/40/80m HF rig from one of the local hams, who didn't have a need for it, who got it from another ham who got it from some other guy that was cleaning out his garage. I have no idea if it works yet, but it looks cool as hell.

The thing on the top is the power supply. They are both full of tubes, and that power supply probably weighs around 40-50 pounds.

E: just looked up some specs on it, and apparently the PS also contains the speaker.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mwdan fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 17, 2009

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
Well, the guy I got it from let me borrow his tube tester. I'm not doing anything with it until I check all the tubes, and get all the dust and stuff out of it.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
Sweet.. I just got done cleaning the dust out of that old NCX-3, and checking out the tubes.. Everything checked out so I powered it up. Seems to work ok.. I don't have any kind of HF antenna up yet, so I couldn't really test it. Some crackly pots, but I think there's hope for this one.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
Well, the last week or so has been good to me. On Saturday, the guy I got my HF rig from tells me he found a tuner that he didn't need anymore, so I got a free tuner as well. Threw some wire up on the house, and hooked it all up.

Seems to be working good, so I can finally start hunting some more QSO's. I already got my first.. my father-in-law was helping me try to find freq with it, and when I came into our Ham Club meeting tonight, he handed me a QSO card for that.

So, here it is all hooked up. Hope to make some contacts with you all in the future..

73's

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
Haven't been doing much lately. That National I got took a crap on me, and I wasn't about to try and fix it up. I don't have the time or money for that, so I talked to our local radio collector, and got a yaesu ft-767gx with 2m module in it from him.

I just need this drat cold, windy, snowy weather to finally leave so I can get my dipole strung up between some trees. I can hear pretty well for the way its up, but I can't get out for poo poo.

So, Ive just been listening as of late. Speaking of which, I found something odd on 248.6 Khz. Don't know if it's a beacon, or what, but it just repeats "WG" or, "'", depending on how you interpret it, in morse followed by a steady tone.

E: ah ha, I finally figured out the magic google words to find it. I've spent 3 days wondering what this is. It's the Non Directional Beacon for the Winnipeg, MB airport.

mwdan fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 27, 2009

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
probably packet radio/digital of some sort, I'd guess, since it sounds like a modem almost

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
Got my dipole strung today, and made a few contacts on the contest thats going on. At least I'm getting out now. I was barely getting out 100 miles the way I had it setup before, and I worked Nevada, British Colombia, and NY state today. Might be fun to try to setup an HF Hamgoon net.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
congrats! The waiting is the hardest part, you just can't wait to get on the air.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
well, once you get your call, you could at least run EchoLink.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
You need to get in touch with Cvisors. I'm pretty sure she's in australia

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
What the Hell is an OF?

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
ahh hahh. Must be a regional thing..

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
That's pretty cool. Though, it's a bit easier to work 2m when there's nothing obstructing you ;)

Incidentally, the ISS, and any space shuttle missions have 2m rigs on them. Most Astronauts are hams, but you have to be pretty lucky to find one that happens to be chatty. Most of the time they only have a packet thingy going

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
Oh yeah, Hopefully our site isn't washed away.. we've had some weather move through here this evening.. Was out spotting earlier.

I'll be at field day. Club Call is N0GF,3D ND, Square EN17mu.

Personally, I'll probably be on the Digital station.

Hope to hear some of you on the air

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
Oh yeah, copper cactus' are cool. I built one myself, and it works great. If you wanna get fancy, one of the guys in the local club made a few with shock-cords inside so they could be collapsed up for storage when not used, for temporary antenna needs.

We used them for spotting during a Sled Dog Race, where we had to drive to different points along the course, and they worked pretty well.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
I tried one of those, but I think there's something in my walls, possibly a foil backed insulation, that caused massive reflected power when I was trying to set it up inside, so that's why I put up the copper one.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
PM'd ya, but I'll post here too. I'm interested in it.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
That's too bad. One of the hams in the club is a sled dog musher, and she helped organize a sled dog race 2 years ago, that's an annual thing now. This past race was only our second, but it grew from three teams, to twenty in that one year span.

Most of the racers are pretty big in smaller races like Beargrease, and the like, and a few have run Iditarod, and they all complimented us on how well we handled messages between checkpoints and relaying a 'heads up' report from points a few miles ahead of checkpoints so the handlers could get ready.

I think most of us have taken the online FEMA ICS courses, and we work very closely with NWS for Skywarn/ARES here, so I think that makes it a little easier to apply ICS and general net control to other things for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
KD0BTT-AE checking in ;)