Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
You can work 10m with a tech license, albeit, just a small portion of phone.

28.300 to 28.500 Mhz Is the tech phone portion of 10m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
True enough, but, at least you can get on a bit of HF anyway. And 10m has been working pretty well lately.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
Sunspots have been down the last few weeks, so propagation on 10m has been hit or miss. For a while it was really doing well, and I'm sure it will pick back up again soon.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
No, unless you specifically tell the VE's you want to renew at the same time, they just code the 605 as a regular modification. You can renew it yourself online though.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=cft&id=amateur&page=cft_renew_amateur

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
The question pools are *ALL* the questions that may appear in a test. Every test is different, but they all take a certain number of questions from each section of their respective pool.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
Congrats! Someday I hope to get there; Nine people from my local club went this year.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs

Pham Nuwen posted:

Can somebody help me figure out what's going on with my receiver? As I spin through the frequencies, I get this very strong tone coming in about every 50-100 kHz (in the 10m band, at least). I've uploaded a recording of one instance, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxGi3I4wEak I don't know if this is something to be expected or not, if anyone can tell me what's causing those signals I'd appreciate it.

Edit: youtube instead of the busted-rear end link

Sounds like normal 'birdies' to me. Some of it may be from antenna/feedline placement, some is from the interaction of the different intermediate frequencies internal to the radio.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
I don't know about the ball type in the second picture, but the top one is probably a 3/8 inch 24 tpi standard mount. Any truck stop should have a mount/cable assembly for sale that would fit that.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
I'm fairly certain Echolink is world wide, for the most part. Stations are sorted by region/country in the program IIRC.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
Has anyone attempted remote rig control/audio with linux? I had an old windows XP laptop setup with the last free version of ham radio Deluxe, which handles networked rig control; and a program I found called IP sound, that networked the audio.

All my HF gear is in the basement, and this setup worked great so I could listen around, and keep an eye on the kid without having to go downstairs. I've been looking at all the ham radio apps that are sort of 'built-in' to linux, and threw lubuntu on that laptop after windows got corrupted somehow and would only boot in safe mode. I've been trying to sort out the audio portion of things before I get too far into it, but haven't been able to make much headway. The closest thing to what I'm trying to achieve that I've found is Jack Audio, which I had found for Windows as well, but I never had any luck with windows, or now on linux, getting it to network.

Google has been of no help; I just get different pages of the same few sites as results for getting it setup, or of people asking how to set it up, with no real solutions or guides on how to actually get it working. From what I've seen it either works, or doesn't.

Any help, or pointing in the right direction would be great!

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
I've got an Icom IC-7000 and a yaesu ft-767. I looked up that remoterig stuff, and drat, you ain't kiddin it's spendy.

Looking into things, I thought it would be pretty straight forward to setup, and I'm sure the rig controlling part is. I'm just having a hell of a time getting the audio portion to work.

I'm also not sure if part of my problem is the testing I'm doing is between the physical PC with Lubuntu, and a VM I ran up with Ubuntu. It is entirely possible there's an issue with the VM environment in VMware versus actual hardware.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
That's what I was afraid of. I wanted to use the VM/remote laptop setup as a test bed before I committed to putting something on this one. It's been about 12 years since I played with linux at all, so part of it is relearning how to do basic things. I am entirely impressed with how 'mainstream' it's getting. The Ham radio stuff has been there for a long time, I know, but the last time I played with it was before I got my ticket. I never took to it too much back in the day, since it wouldn't do games well. I don't do much gaming anymore, and the one thing I have been playing lately has a linux version, so I'm not going to miss anything by switching.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
Maybe I'm not being clear.

The way I had it set up before under windows was Rig Control- HRD server <-> HRD Client

Audio IP Sound Server <-> IP Sound Client.

the audio part is what I'm stuck on right now under linux. Which is the same problem I had under windows when I first looked into it. I stumbled upon JackAudio for windows, and never got it to work right, then found IPSound. Under linux Jackaudio seems to be the solution for networked audio and I have yet to get it to work right, but the documentation is lacking, and the few sources that talk about settings and things, are just copy/pasted from other sites.

Maybe I'll get new perspective over the weekend, going to a hamfest outside of my local area, maybe there'll be someone a little more up on things there.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
Wow. I wish the club I'm in would attempt to do anything other than bitch about 'That damned Obummer'. All our repeaters have been donated hand-me-downs from other more forward thinking clubs in the region. A few of us 'younger' (read under 50) members have brought up the idea of maybe getting a repeater from this century. All to the wails of 'how many :10bux: will it be?'

The treasury has several thousand in it, if I'm not mistaken, and nobody's willing to spend a penny of it on anything - even for having our annual picnic in the summertime, its Bring your own everything to the free city park, though its a 'Club Function'

In non ranting news, I picked up a Nooelec RTL dongle and upconverter and have been having immense fun playing with that. It's awful nice to be able to look at the entire band on HF, and ~2 mhz chunks of a band from 10m and up. I need to get/build a new desk for my shack though.. updated a few computer things and displays. Not enough room anymore. I'd like to leave the SDR hooked up and running on my ham station, since i figured out how to network it, AND control it from my phone.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
It's got a callsign. http://www.qrz.com/db/ag0on . I added a few people in to a circle list on G+ a while back. Can't say that anything much has been done, just like a real radio club.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
I think so, but don't quote me on it. I felt a little :tinfoil: before I started and didnt want my SSN on the paperwork, so I got one before I took the test.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
Hamfest treasure

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
Agreed.. mine is more or less step 1.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
What site is that,where all the received pictures are logged?

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
Dang, that's cool as hell.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
I've always wanted to participate in something like that. I'm the county Emergency Coordinator for ARES, up in NW Minnesota. The local county Emergency Manager is useless and I have brought up scenarios where the Ham community could be useful, but it falls on deaf ears. I'm assuming that everyone at the state level is either retired, or has some kind of cushy do-nothing desk job where they can just go and play radio whenever they want, since every training exercise they put forth is at like 1400 local in the middle of the week. It has been brought up to do these things on weekends, when people outside of the Twin Cities Metro would be available to attempt some of this, but that too goes nowhere.
We had some fun at field day, however. One guy setup a few MESH nodes to link the logging computers for the stations, so we could see at a glance which station was on what band, plus chat capabilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
They let you take the Extra even though you didn't pass the General? You're not supposed to take the test without proof of completion of the pre-requisite elements.