Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
M3IIG listening through...

I've only done a foundation license in the UK, and don't have any interest in doing anything higher than that due to my lack of electronics skills.

I take my HT out with me when I go walking among our plentiful (but small) mountains with a local repeater and the calling frequency programmed in. Always handy if you get in trouble.

I mostly do a lot of scanning and SWL with my gear, though, and very rarely transmit.

Anyone else in the UK want to wake up and post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Just wanted to pimp my HT.

Kenwood F7E. Known as an F6A in America with slightly different bands (ie, has 1.25 meter which doesn't exist over here for amateurs in the UK.)

It's a great little radio and I stuck a new UHF SMA antenna on it and I love it.

I also have a stupidly long telescopic for SWL and low-band VHF stuff, and also a loop longwire that I use for really long wavelength stuff that I built myself.

It's literally a 1 meter length of 50ohm coax with a plug on the end, then the 20 meter loop of wire is soldered from the centre core, then back to the shielding. If you disconnect the shielding end, you can really hear the difference, the interference goes up. The good thing about the loop is that I can disconnect one end, and string it wherever I like, wind it around something to make an antenna for a certain frequency, etc. Crude but effective.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

happy purring catfish posted:

The F6A has a very dedicated following here in the States. I never could get the hang of the menu, as it has a very different feel from my Yaesu, but apparently a great many people have an easier time navigating it.

You must get a lot of interesting signals from mainland Europe. I'm jealous, because we don't get a lot of the cool stuff out here in California. Mostly religious broadcasters (who are responsible for the HF bands turning into poo poo) and a few powerful Pacific Rim stations.

Yeah, I pick up lots of awesome stuff on HF from around the continent. Sadly the HAM usage on UHF is all but dead, and on VHF it's sporadic.

If I'm going to be honest, I passed my licence exam because I thought it'd be cool, bought the radio, and have transmitted like twice in three years. But I do take it whenever I go adventuring in the mountains because it may well come in handy.

I mostly use it for scanning, but it's nice to be able to transmit if needed.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Global688 posted:

I do get to work with more stuff but thats more or less EHF and SHF which doesnt interest your hammys.

You'd be surprised, there are quite a few people that use the amateur bands up in the gigahertz. Granted, the range is poo poo, but still..

Also, second LF info request :)

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

There's a VLF submarine station near me, HMS Inskip it used to be called, but nowadays they have a new government agency that handles that, so it's called DCSA Inskip (this is North-West England)

I saw some nice sites that talk about scanning VLF stuff, and they have some nice plots of the waveforms and whatnot.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

McRib Sandwich posted:

P.S. PROTIP: With an HT + mag-mount on your car, you can listen to fast food drive-thru window conversations while you're in the line. Drunk/stoned people at 2am = unlimited entertainment.

You probably won't even need the mag-mount, a rubber duck antenna that came with the HT is more than sufficient.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

McRib Sandwich posted:

Not when the drive-thru speakerbox transmits on 30 MHz. Why there are 10-meter channels set aside for business use is completely beyond me.

Oh, yeah, that is kind of stupid.

Although, that's range dependent. If you're really close to it it wouldn't be that much of a problem.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

In a similar vein, old cordless telephones operating on 31MHz or so are lots of fun :)

Might be UK only, though.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Just scan from 240-270 FM and see what happens. Occasionally you'll get military out on manoeuvres, and sometimes pirates piggy backing off the birds.

Or, do what I do, and wait till there's a shuttle mission on. Then you'll get lots of wonderful stations endlessly radiochecking as per the examples here:

http://uhf-satcom.com/sounds/

Rescue birds and ground stations in the US and Europe (TAL sites) are heard.

Lots more info here:

http://uhf-satcom.com/uhf/

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I wonder if they're allowed to use Marine Band on shore like that.

I mean, sure, you have shore facilities such as ports and terminals and the coastguards using it, but anyone else? They'd be unlicensed, surely, right?

I wouldn't think they'd really like people yapping on CH16 in case of emergencies. Were people moving to a free channel after initial contact or just treating it like a party line?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

The hole being that you aren't allowed to use amateur frequencies for broadcast? :)

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

You COULD do it as a net.

Would kinda be loopholeish, but it would work. Maybe.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

ick pik posted:

KC9FBI checking in here.

Is that a vanity callsign or luck of the draw?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

They very rarely listen to the airwaves because they are so busy. Any contacts are usually prearranged through NASA PAO.

I haven't received the amateur stations, but I have received space-to-ground comms from the Russian Segment on something like 130 MHz.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I'm not sure how much harmonisation there is between countries, with regards to bandplans, so it might not be an idea to try and pick a frequency.

Besides, it's not really good operating practice, is it?

I would suggest using the standard calling frequencies and just using CQ GOON.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

They do the same thing in the UK with the RSGB news.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

And don't get me started on people who insist you use morse...

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Phuzion posted:

Question though. When I put the Icom into scan mode, it stops at a few frequencies on the .00 mark, with some weird noise. For example, it stops at 152.00 every time it goes around. Any idea what it's picking up? For reference, I'm in Summit County, Ohio, outside of Akron.

As mentioned, those are almost certainly pagers at that frequency.

You should get hold of the bandplans and then you'll be able to look quickly.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Crash Bandicoot posted:

(like thehustler, who once threatened to sell my backpack ;)) ]

Eh? Refresh my memory?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Crash Bandicoot posted:

Blackpool goonmeet, I left a bunch of stuff at your house. I didn't collect it so you threatened to put it all on eBay, you big meanie :(

Ohhh! What year was that? And didn't someone pick up your bag? Or something like that.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I've managed to open my local repeater from 25 miles away (tone bursting) with my stock antenna on my Kenwood F7E over 5 Watts. I know that's not really the same as chatting and having readable speech, but at the time I was really quite chuffed.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Phuzion posted:

Antenna story

That is loving awesome. I wonder how much better you'd get with an antenna that was tuned to 440 at that height?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Anyone in the UK wanna buy a Kenwood F7E and an assortment of antennas and also a protective case?

£125 for the lot, there's an SMA to BNC adapter, a telescopic antenna for shortwave and two 70cm/2m antennas.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Found my Kenwood F7e in a drawer at home. Took it into work and scanned across the bands with my best rubber duck antenna attached.

Net result: sweet gently caress all. Everything's on digital now on VHF/UHF, or pushing data over IP to cellular data terminal things. I proclaim the hobby dead (at least in the UK) - obviously there'll be stuff still on the amateur bands but I couldn't really devote the time to checking.

Sad :( Anyone in the UK want to buy my unit? It's modded to transmit out of band too!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

Woo, congratulations!

I'm currently casually helping a UK friend look into getting his Foundation license.

Apparently UK doesn't do frequency restrictions, but power restrictions? I actually like that a lot more.

Been a while since I did my foundation, but I'm fairly sure there are one or two bands that are off-limits, but they may be experimental bands.

Also you don't get to do RAYNET or anything but lollll

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I'd like to sell my F7E if anyone is interested? It's been modded to transmit out of band, which is of course very naughty. But shh. Battery isn't in the best condition but you can get aftermarket ones. It's quite an old radio but very nice and I have a few other antennas to go with it.

PTT button is a bit flakey but if you're using it for monitoring this isn't a major issue :)

UK-based. Anyone? I'm not even sure what it's worth nowadays, eBay doesn't seem to have any for a comparison.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Video on BBC News Magazine today from a local club near me in Chorley, North West UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24917880

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I’ve just bought a pixie kit and I’m having fun building it. I was wondering if the supplied transistors, an S8050 and S9018 would be the best NPN transistors to use? Would I get any better performance with a 2N2222 or something? I know I have to think about frequencies as well.

I’m looking to improve the power output but fully appreciate that I can’t achieve miracles.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 13, 2019

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Also, I love that on page 1 of this thread I complained that I’m not doing electronics and that it’s holding me back but now I’m designing PCBs. I’m trying to make a kind of “Megapixie” with everyone’s good mods in.

Edit: oh. Well I thought it was page 1

thehustler fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 14, 2019

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Apologies for the 101 question, but I'm trying to find, very simply, the difference between an FM transmitter circuit and an AM transmitter circuit, but everything looks the same and there's less examples than you'd think.

Literally just looking for oscillator, mic, mixer, antenna kinda thing. Is it the way the transistors are linked that determines the kind of modulation performed?

My breadboard circuits don't work also - I am very sad. I know they are poo poo for RF for but basic hobby 30meter range stuff it should be ok. I have no real analysing tools other than a multimeter :(

Reluctant to move to protoboard until I have something tested and working.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

longview posted:

Do you have any examples of what circuits you're looking at?

For the extremely simple cases like 2-3 transistor transmitters the modulation might affect both frequency and amplitude, the AM receiver will usually ignore frequency changes and FM receivers will ignore amplitude changes.

Ooh. That’s interesting. I assumed it was the layout of the circuit that did it.

Stuff like this: https://www.buildcircuit.com/simple-steps-for-making-fm-transmitter/

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I think I’ll have to. I do have an SDR so can check the bands fairly easily.

I’ve got some QRP designs to study too, still hoping to make an upgraded Pixie PCB but would love to get the basics down first. I thought I knew them but apparently not.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I totally understand what those signals are, just not how to get them out of the mixer transistor, one or the other.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

NOW we’re getting there. Thanks guys, that gives me a good start on understanding this.

Edit: welcome to the foundation club! ^

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Just saw this on Reddit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glmwTb9NP5w

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Half an hour calling CQ from a decently-open park in Edinburgh has convinced me that analogue VHF/UHF is dead over here. Everyone up here is all DMR and it doesn’t interest me at all, so I won’t be buying any kit for it.

Anyone else despairing in the U.K. at all? Did I get back into all of this at the worst time? Last year I did SOTA and there are some local folk listening for that, but that’s few and far between.

Maybe 4:30pm on a work day is the worst day to try, I could try one evening I guess.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Good job it’s summer! I’ll head out Sunday evening and see what happens.

Edit: To be fair the DMR repeaters up here are busy at all times of the day

thehustler fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 19, 2020

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

GB3PR, but yep. Can’t hit that unless I go up on one of Edinburgh’s hills. GB3FF in Kelty isn’t bad but is offline right now. They were putting it back up but lockdown hit.

You get a lot of mobile trucker and delivery driver types on Scottish 2M repeaters I’ve noticed. But apart from SOTA there’s no simplex at all really.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Horse Clocks posted:

With the UK dropping the requirement to do an in-person practical, I took the opportunity and I got my my UK foundation license the other week :woop:

Yet to make any contact with anybody, the first (and only) signal I picked up was two dudes talking about their cataracts and disability badges.

Bought a DMR radio too hoping to make a contact with a friend on the coast, but all the Repeaters i can pick up are analog only.

Have parts to make a slimjim antenna on the way, hopefully I can get a bit better signal with that. Otherwise it’s off to find some accessible hills.

Welcome! I’m a foundation too but the RSGB have now said they’ll do intermediate level exams too so I’m highly considering it. I don’t have much practical experience, basically none on HF. Maybe in the future but I’m primarily wanting to do this so I can put my own gear on the air, which foundations can’t do.

I can reliably-ish pass test exams from some app but the current RSGB 2019 mock papers did kick my arse a bit.

Where are you located?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I bought a portapack by accident instead of a hackrf :kingsley:

Just selected the wrong drop down on AliExpress. Absolutely livid. Anyone in the U.K. want one at cost? :-/