Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Obligatory

My V Dipole is now more solidly-constructed with a clip on reflector and the cable hidden up the pole.

The only annoying thing is that I also use this antenna for weather satellites, and if I install the BPF/LNA that I have to boost the signal for those it’ll notch out the 2M ham band where the ISS lives. So I’ve made it easy to take apart to take that little board out when the ISS is in SSTV mode. Definitely can’t use this in the rain though as a result.

Hopefully I’ll have a Yagi soon for more serious Tx/Rxing work, but having a kit + laptop I can deploy inside 5 mins for *pictureeeees frooommm spaaaaace* and then being able to sit back while it works away is really nice.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

It’s so strange when you can hear it before the pop-up time, I’ve had that even on a V dipole. And I think your cleanest shot is superb, I ruined mine by turning the antenna the wrong way when trying to improve the orientation.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

ISS SSTV end of year: https://ariss-sstv.blogspot.com/2021/12/ariss-end-of-year-sstv.html

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

poo poo guys i made my first satellite contact today. What a milestone. Just wanted it on record in the thread.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

America posted:

Congrats! Which one, what mode, and using what gear?

SO-50 with someone I know, M5JFS, who does a lot of sat work. A home-made DIY Yagi (based on the K6ARK design with no reflector, only I used tape measure segments) and an Anytone 868, so I did it without a full duplex rig, which is hard. The only way I could make it work was to listen until I got a signal aimed just right and was picking somebody up, then held in that position before I hit PTT. Seemed to work, got callsigns and locators exchanged but only just.

You can see the antenna in here, cost me about £5 all together to make and is held together with literal sticky tape: https://twitter.com/markpentler/status/1471459419313500176?s=20

On Wednesday I'll try some more overhead-type passes and see if that helps. Or just use the ISS, but the issue with that is that the signal power is so strong you can basically get a signal on Rx by aiming at the drat ground.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

More firsts: borrowed some gear and made my first HF contacts today. That is really addictive Vs tuning around on VHF and getting nothing at all. God, this is a whole new world! I worked North Carolina, Italy, and Russia on 50W with an 857 and a Buddipole knock-off.

I need my own gear, pronto.

Also worked another satellite today, managed to get into AO-91 really well and SO-50 again so this crappy antenna definitely isn’t a fluke. Surprised how simple it was to get into. Hand-aiming definitely not easy though.

What’s the best iOS app for live tracking with azimuth/elev etc? Maybe tape my phone to the boom or make a little cradle for it.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

It was better than I expected. Not TOO heavy and also has 50W. If you’re doing portable and don’t mind the extra weight it’s a good choice.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Do they go if you disconnect the whip?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Helianthus Annuus posted:

yes, thanks for asking! heres a screenshot of that happening.

you can see the noise floor come up when i first lay hands on the antenna. then it goes mostly dark when i actually unscrew it out of the magnetic mount. you can see it come back when i screw it back in.

Okay - just making sure they aren’t generated by the radio itself/having the gain up high, etc. Always good to check!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Yes but the question is why specifically coiling it around the HT makes it better, I guess? Some sort of coupling?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I use Heavens Above but there’s plenty of others, n2yo.com is used a lot too. Just gotta pop your location in.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Helianthus Annuus posted:

trying to decode some digital signals. can anyone tell me what this thing on my waterfall is? I've been on https://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/Signal_Identification_Guide and it looks like Olivia to me, but I cant get fldigi to decode it no matter what I try.

It looks like only 14 different tones, which is odd. You’d expect 16. Or some other power of 2

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I finally joined the HF club today and managed to work 3 countries with a hugely compromised antenna setup while sat on my sofa. What a day!

Also tried to reply to a CW CQ and mucked it up and got scared and then ran away by tuning away fast.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

That’s really helpful, thanks. I intend to get into this and maybe even CW activate as well

Edit: summit code usually in CQ?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I want it recorded for posterity in the thread forevermore that I did my first CW QSO today and it wasn’t totally awful.

What a rush! I need to buy a proper paddle though, got my eye on a few. I don’t want to pay through the nose for it though. Looks to be some kits on eBay. Or some decently made ones for £40 locally.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

It seems the motor on the scanning instrument is a bit poorly. It does that because it is very old, the poor thing.

We’ll have to wait for news

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

drunk mutt posted:

I hate timezones

sorry :holy:

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Big Mackson posted:

edit: its super easy to get in contact with ISS.

Does this mean we could try a voice QSO on a bird!? Have you tried any others?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I've never tried the ISS as it only gets around 35 deg in Scotland. So I usually go for the others. SO50, UVSQ, etc.

Just thinking we may be in the same footprint

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

The Claptain posted:

35 degrees is fine for ISS. Hell, I got full quieting while receiving SSTV when it was already below the horizon. With a log periodic antenna pointed down because my hand was tired from holding it.

Yeah, I have Rx of SSTV from it before so I should stop worrying. Just worry about making the trip up but I have an arrow so I'm sure it's okay.

Also the Tevel sats seem to be on lately a lot. They've turned into a zoo like SO-50.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Thought so. We're so trying this. I need to figure out if we're in the same footprint

Edit: assuming those times are UTC then the first pass tomorrow is 86 deg for me, niiice.

Can't do tomorrow, maybe weekend?

thehustler fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 25, 2023

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I did see that we were in the "around the forums" round-up this weekend, so I thought I better post a welcome.

So hello if anyone arrived here via that. Fingers crossed...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

N9TAX Slim Jims are absolutely superb, but a flowerpot antenna made from coax is also quite a good thing to start with and is fairly easy to make.