Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mas
Jun 4, 2004
Proud Member of the Al Jourgensen Fanclub Have you done heroin while wearing a huge cowboy hat today?
I've been waiting for this thread.

As I said in the SWL thread, got my Tech a few months ago, going to try to pass the General this saturday at a 'Fest in KCMO mainly so I can try to start some DXing on my Yaesu FT-101 I got already, it came with an external VFO and speaker/phone patch also. For now in the truck I'm just using a Kenwood TH-K2 with external mag mount antenna for 2m stuff around town, but it's mostly old guys telling each other why their setups are all wrong, so I don't chat much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mas
Jun 4, 2004
Proud Member of the Al Jourgensen Fanclub Have you done heroin while wearing a huge cowboy hat today?

McRib Sandwich posted:

So here's another question: who here runs an APRS station? I've wanted to for some time, but I would primarily do so when mobile, and I don't currently have a car. If you have APRS set up in your car, take pictures of it and talk about it!

I've been running UI-View and AGW Packet Engine on my laptop at home and desktop at work just for fun. I don't have a portable TNC yet to go mobile. I'll probably get a Tiny Tracker III to use with my Garmin and HT if I ever get around to it. I make my own custom maps with MS Streets & Trips that you can import into UI-View. UI-View is kind of funky to get setup the first time, but once you get it running it's pretty easy to make changes and such. Oh, I also run UI-NWS Get with it as well so I can see county wide weather alerts from the National Weather Service, which was my main interest in setting it up and probably why I would ever setup a mobile rig with a laptop as well.

mas
Jun 4, 2004
I finally got my antenna tuned up pretty decently last night fro 10, 20 and 40 meters, could still use some tweaking to get it down to 1:1 on the SWR, it's running about 1.6:1 right now. Of course with zero solar activity for the last month and the weather being drizzly rain here the bands were almost completely dead. 10 meters was a graveyard. I really need to go sit for my General ticket so I can play with the lower freqs.

I did also discover that my FT-101 has an antenna pass through jack on the back so I can daisy chain my FRG-7 shortwave to it and use the same inverted L antenna to listen with. It gets waaay better reception with the big antenna than the 28 guage speaker wire strung up inside the house.

mas
Jun 4, 2004
I haven't even turned my 2M in the truck on for 3 months because of the same thing. The same 5-6 guys talking about "someday getting that 80M Inverted-L up and firing up the amplifier and reeaalllyyyy making some contacts!" or similar. I've decided to concentrate on HF stuff for now. My next project is to build an L-network so I can string up an end-fed halfwave since I can't get a di-pole up at my QTH. I'm going to start working on learning Morse as well.

mas
Jun 4, 2004

Jose Pointero posted:

There was an even better starter rig posted today for $100 more:
http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=196525

I've got an FT-101B with a couple of accessories I'm getting ready to sell to fund an FT-857D...

mas
Jun 4, 2004

mas posted:

I've got an FT-101B with a couple of accessories I'm getting ready to sell to fund an FT-857D...

Now posted on QRZ forums

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=196649

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mas
Jun 4, 2004

bladernr posted:

For 450, you can get a very good used HF rig that hasn't been hosed with and possibly screwed up.

Or he could buy mine that's never been screwed up and works perfectly on all bands. Now with a lower price! (see link above)