Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

backstage
Sep 23, 2005

hendersa posted:

You can take the technician, general, and extra exams all in the same session for $14, if you know your stuff.

Apparently I do, as I am the proud holder of a $14 Extra class CSCE after passing them all back to back. (Inspired by this very thread on the internet!) Right now I would have no idea what to do if you gave me a radio but am fully authorized to poo poo all over the spectrum, which I suppose is why there are people who grouch about the way exams are set up now.

I guess my plan right now is to pick up an HT and learn what's going on on 2 meters while I figure out what kind of antenna I can put up in the back yard and what kind of HF rig I want. I know there's been plenty of talk already but any more thoughts about gear to get would be most welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

backstage
Sep 23, 2005

McRib Sandwich posted:

Are you an EE by trade?

Close enough. My grad degree was medical physics, so I had a good bit of coursework on x-ray tube voltages, currents, and so forth. Plus I took some EE courses. Plus I've been messing with electronics since I was 10. I had to brush up a bit, but the groundwork was definitely there. My examiners were a bit taken aback. :->

I'd prefer to keep my callsign to myself though (internet detectivery ahoy). I did just order the 2007 ARRL Handbook for cheap; they're selling it for $20 now at arrl.org.

backstage
Sep 23, 2005

Yeah, I settled on the FT-60R largely because it has three knobs instead of one or two like most of the other current multi-band HTs. I just ordered it new from Universal for just about $200. Of course that doesn't include the other stuff I couldn't turn down like headset, extra power cord, ... also it is backordered until the end of the month. Dammit!

On another topic, does anybody know of any ARDF going on in Tennessee?

backstage
Sep 23, 2005

Haha! In my case it was less cheering and more of the flabbergasted "Dang, did you study for all those?" But everyone was supportive, even the VE who talked like he wanted to bring back the original code requirements. And yes, it can be done.

backstage
Sep 23, 2005

Windows 95? You must be doing these guys a disservice. I just got my FT-60 in the mail and the first conversation I heard on the Nashville repeater was about Windows Vista.

backstage
Sep 23, 2005

Yeah, the QRZ forums are ridiculous, and eham too. Every thread turns into a code/no-code poo poo-sling or something worse. I'll have to check out hamsexy if I can ever get it to load.

And actually I've been thinking about getting some cheap Windows laptop so I can run all that stuff... how much of it is good? I already have the G4FON Morse tutor which is pretty excellent. I've also got my eye on SDR for down the road, and it seems like Linux/GNU Radio might be the way to go there.

backstage
Sep 23, 2005

Hmm. Good to get the warning. I've been practicing at 15 WPM with a dit speed of 20 WPM, seems like that should be ok.

backstage
Sep 23, 2005

Here, I will help propel this puppy along towards its first birthday just like the SW thread. I think the satellite and EME stuff is awesome and would love to play with it. It'll probably be a while before I get around to it though. So far I am building SWR meters and antennas for 146 MHz. Anybody built an SWR meter for VHF/UHF? I am using a bridge design but apparently you have to pay a lot of attention to component size and layout at these frequencies. The one I have right now isn't really accurate at all. Next I'm going to try building it with some PCB and surface mount components, but those things are loving TINY and I'm going to need a magnifier and some tweezers.

backstage
Sep 23, 2005

Well, I just dumped a bunch of dollars on Mouser for tools and components so I can build this SWR meter. I made one already but it wasn't accurate at 146 MHz, so I decided to make everything a little tighter: homemade PCB, surface mount components, BNC connectors. We'll see how it goes. Any thought how I can use the fancy network analyzer at work to tell if it's working right?

I keep forgetting to check into the local nets because I am a dork.

backstage
Sep 23, 2005

Yeah, once a day. It took almost exactly a week for mine to go through counting from the day I took the test a couple of months ago. I finally got on the radio this week - checked into a couple of local FM nets. My homemade J-pole hung up in the living room is working a charm, I'm hitting a repeater 60 miles away with no trouble at 5W.

backstage
Sep 23, 2005

I got the FT-60 because it was cheaper, and I didn't mind not having the waterproofness and the 6M capability at first. It's been good so far. The menus are indeed highly confusing and require repeated reference to the manual. Also, congrats.

backstage
Sep 23, 2005

Jose Pointero posted:

Diamond MR77

Nice... It's even pretty. Let me know how it works for you, especially if you can compare it to something else, as I'm about to spring for my first car mag-mount for 2m/70cm and need some suggestions.

Edit: and ... SWR measurements? Not that it would necessarily apply to my car, I guess. How tuneable are these things?

backstage
Sep 23, 2005

Sweet. Could you name one or two of the others you were considering? Any thoughts on the similar but lighter Valor ProAm MM-270B? I could only find one review of it at eham (5/5 though).

backstage
Sep 23, 2005

Cool, thanks for the second recommendation. I just ordered one - it sounds like exactly what I want. Right now my only radio is an HT, too.

backstage
Sep 23, 2005

Spotted that, and got the SMA. :-) Thanks.

backstage
Sep 23, 2005

Spiffy pics of your mobiles, there. My MR-77 came today and I figured out what you meant about the lock washer - I am pretty sure that's there to keep the vibration of driving from loosening the antenna from the base. I have seen that happen to several cars' FM radio antennas in the past.

backstage
Sep 23, 2005

Whoo-hoo, thanks for the tip! Totally going to try this next time I'm on the road instead of just sitting on 520.

backstage
Sep 23, 2005

I like G4FON's Koch Trainer, not that I have learned more than the letters in my own call sign so far. Set that puppy for 2 letters, 15 WPM and begin the struggle.

backstage
Sep 23, 2005

I bought the FT-60R back on page 7. I like it quite well, not least because it has freq/vol/squelch on three separate knobs rather than the more common two. I did have to get used to the menus. Also it is "weather resistant" but not waterproofed, if you care.

backstage
Sep 23, 2005

Yes, the control knobs. There are three. Three! Volume, squelch, frequency. It is awesome.

backstage
Sep 23, 2005

I hear you. It makes me crazy sometimes - knobs are the absolute pinnacle of control technology in a lot of cases, so what if they take up more space. Show me a sound engineer's mixing console without 400 knobs and faders on it - they don't exist, and for good reason. I have the same issue with the concept of software defined radio - I really like the concept and would like to get into it, but I'm going to have to insist on some external knob-like hardware. This here, for example, looks really awkward:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

backstage
Sep 23, 2005

My head just exploded...