Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

Oh, man, I had to get a hamhat at the last hamfest.

It's bright blue with my call and has a mesh back and has an embroidery rope thingy along the edge of the bill.
Pure, unadulterated hamclass.

^5 callsign-from-another-zone buddy. 2x3 4-land call in 5-land confuses the hicks. "When'd ya move here?" "Bout 19 years ago"

I had a hamhat back when I was first licensed, I was the coolest 13-year-old. :v:

On a related note, I just renewed my license, and holy poo poo, I've been licensed 20 years. I should maybe upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Anybody have a recommendation for a decent, but not too expensive dual-band mobile rig? Something I can pop into my Mazda 3 for Skywarn season :v:

Otherwise it's off to eham.net to pour over reviews.

Edit: Maybe something with a detachable faceplate so I can mount the rest of it in the trunk.

manero fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 14, 2012

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Radio Nowhere posted:

Wow, you are exactly in the same situation as me! I have a Mazda 3 and I'm looking to get this,

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-010079

Dual band, detachable faceplate and even has Noaa Weather alert. Most stores I've checked sell it with the faceplate kit. Just curious what are you doing for a antenna?

I had this page bookmarked from maybe a year or so ago:

http://vesicular.livejournal.com/200067.html

And now I'm looking at that IC-208H since it's the same rig in this setup :)

I have a Comet B-20NMO dual-band antenna that I've had laying around, and I just bought a Comet CP-5NMO mount that was discussed in the link above. It wasn't cheap :(

manero
Jan 30, 2006

NotHet posted:

Does impedance matching matter when receiving only? The first result on google says it is, the second one claims it does not.

I'm troubleshooting my just-completed SoftRock and impedance mismatch is the only obvious thing I'm doing wrong. The SDR wants a 50 Ohm antenna, and the junk one I got for free is reading about an ohm.

Of course not...

ARRL Handbook posted:

If the load is a pure resistance whose value equals the characteristic impedance of the line, the line is said to be matched. To current traveling along the line, such a load at the end of the line acts as though it were still more transmission line of the same characteristic impedance. In a matched transmission line, energy travels outward along the line from the source until it reaches the load, where it is completely absorbed (or radiated if the load is an antenna).

Assume now that the line in Fig 20.3B is terminated in an impedance Za which is not equal to Z0 of the transmission line. The line is now a mismatched line. RF energy reaching the end of a mismatched line will not be fully absorbed by the load impedance. Instead, part of the energy will be reflected back toward the source. The amount of reflected versus absorbed energy depends on the degree of mismatch between the characteristic impedance of the line and the load impedance connected to its end.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

invision posted:

Hey ya'll know what makes me enjoy life?

Trying to program old kenwood radios with vista/win 7 computers.

:(

What about something like virtualbox running Win95?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Speaking of exams, is there a place to check to see where the most current randomly assigned callsigns are for a given area? I'm curious to see what sort of callsign I'd get if I were to pass a General Exam these days.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

:woop:

I passed!

And I only studied for a week and a half. Now I'm /AG!

Honestly it took me longer to drive to and from the exam than to actually take the thing.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

SiB posted:

Just scored a SGC SC-2020 and Icom V8000 for $300. Greybeard is liquidating some of his gear.

Local? How did you find out about it?

I'm eyeing an FT-450, but maybe I'll start scoping out the eham.net classifieds...

manero
Jan 30, 2006

SiB posted:

It was on Kijiji locally.

I'm realllllly tempted by a used IC-718 I see on Craigslist -- it's listed for $450. How do I not get ripped off when buying a used rig, beyond having the guy demo it to me?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

This is a reasonable price, it doesn't scream "hot" to me.

It's not really a legal requirement, but if the guy's comfortable with showing you his license, he's probably on the up-and-up. If not, well, congrats seller, you put a lot of effort into making a fake FCC license.

Thanks.

Turns out, my Dad's got an IC-751 that he doesn't use that he's going to let me borrow for a while. That makes it way easier, and cheaper :v:

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Dijkstra posted:

I went ahead and ordered a TH-F6A from Universal, they have them for $299. Universal is notoriously slow so we'll see how long it takes.

I love my F6! I've had it for a number of years now. I'm amazed at how small HT's are these days -- my previous HT was a TH-27A, and the 78A was the HT I would always drool over as a kid.

Do yourself a favor and pick up this antenna while you're at it. It's pricey, but the stock rubber duck is terrible:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4298

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I always thought it was taken from "Ham Actor" and refuse to believe otherwise :colbert:

manero
Jan 30, 2006

^^^ congrats!

I'm going hiking in the Canadian Rockies (Banff area) next month, and I'm thinking of bringing my HT along, mostly for safety. Do I need to do anything special, licensewise, or can I operate with my US call?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Vir posted:

According to this as a code-less Amateur General licensee, you can operate like a Canadian with a Basic Qualification with your US callsign, which should suffice for an HT. They just ask you to state your location in each contact, and follow the Canadian rules and band plan as a Canadian Basic would (>30 MHz, 250 watt DC input power).

If you get a US Amateur Extra license, you qualify for a CEPT class 1 license, which would give you full amateur privileges in Canda. You'd use VE/ as a prefix to your US callsign (unless in the VO or VY area of Canada).

Those who passed a code test for their US General license can also operate with full privileges in Canda, without getting an Extra license.

Aha, thanks! I also found this page which says I also need to add something like /VE6 to the end of my US call.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Is the FT-7900R any good? Reviews on eHam seem relatively positive.

Local Ham shop has it at 327.00, comes with an antenna, and it looks like there's a $20 Yaesu rebate right now until Halloween. Is $307 a good deal for this rig?

Otherwise, I was considering the Kenwood TM-V71A to throw in my Mazda3 to use for skywarn next spring.

Edit: hamradio.com has it for 285 or so after rebate, hmm...

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-010079

manero fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 25, 2012

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Greybeards, I've finally bought my first HF rig!

Kenwood TS-590, Astron power supply, Diamond SX-200 meter, and a 10-40m G5RV Jr.

Now the stuff just needs to get here!

Edit: meters not MHz dammit

manero fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 25, 2012

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Hummer Driving human being posted:

Has anyone been using a software defined radio? In particular, would it be possible to make something like a Raspberry Pi into a fully functional digital 2-way radio? I know as much as SDRs replace a lot of the radio specific hardware with programs that do the same thing but I don't understand what the limits are or what additions need to be make to a normal computer to have it function as a radio.

This has been going around lately, it's a cheap TV dongle that you can turn into an SDR:

http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/rtl-sdr

I think one of the latest issues of QST covers it, too.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Hummer Driving human being posted:

Is this receive only? Is there a transceiver in the same vein?

Ah, I totally missed the "2-way" part. Not anything this cheap, I think.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

10 meters was open this afternoon, and apparently my antenna is directly broadside to St Helena Island:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Helena

Got a 5/5 signal report from ZD7FT. 6800 miles, my 4th QSO and 1st DX. Amazing :haw:

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Vir posted:

One of the big advantages of the TH-F6A/F7E is that it actually has single sideband on it. Sure, you can't transmit on HF, but it suddenly becomes feasible to monitor HF while you trek around and don't have your HF station up.

I'm actually a bit torn on whether that or the TH-D72 should be my first HT.

I've had my F6A for a number of years and love it. Newer editions of the model come with a slightly higher-capacity battery too. It doesn't have all the fancy data/GPS features of the D72, but it's a great HT.

Get this antenna to go with it and you're set: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4298

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I've got a TH-F6A that I've had for about 9 years. Bought it in 2004, and I just replaced the battery.

I've got a tri-band Maldol antenna to go along with the radio when I bought it. These days, it's looking a little, uh, droopy, when I hold it.

I think it took an accidental bend one day. It still seems to work; I don't lose reception or anything, when I wiggle it a bit or the antenna bounces. Is the only way to know for sure to hook it up to a meter and check the SWR? Is it even worth it for an HT antenna?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I FINALLY got the display of my 7900R mounted. My mobile project is almost complete:

I'm not super thrilled with the position, since it blocks the glove compartment. I ordered the bracket from ProClipUSA (same manufacturer as the iPhone mount you see up by the air vent). It just wedges between the stereo and the side panel. It was $30.. a bit steep for a piece of plastic.

I just need to find a spot for an external speaker, since the rest of the radio is mounted in my trunk.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

If you decide you want the face further out of the way, this mount works really well for putting a remote face above a rearview mirror. Still annoyingly pricey, though.

http://www.blendmount.com/scangauge.html

Unless your mic cable will only plug into the face. My Kenwood mic plugs into the body of the radio, so I just ran another cat6 extension from the trunk to the armrest compartment.

Yeah, the mic only plugs into the face, and I don't really like the idea of having the radio up that high. My other option was to maybe just tape the display bracket on the panel that that cigarette lighter is on, but there's no easy access for the cable from the radio body, since it plugs into the back of the display.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

movax posted:

What's the verdict on test prep books from the likes of ARRL? After putting it off I want to finally sit down, study and jump to Extra in one sitting.

I went through the ARRL book to upgrade to General last spring, and I'm using the Gordon West book to study for my Extra this spring.

The Gordon West book is basically each question, and the correct answer, and a brief description of the answer.

In contrast, the ARRL General book reads more like a textbook, which I think I liked better. The Gordon West book sometimes devolves into "just remember this is the correct answer," which is fine for some people, but it annoys me a bit :) I really do like to understand the theory behind things.

I'll probably keep plowing through with Gordon's book, but if it keeps annoying me once I start taking practice tests, I'll probably supplement with the ARRL Extra book.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Crankit posted:

Can anyone tell me what this sample it sounds to me like the repeater is sharting, but I guess it's a data mode? How do I decode it on my PC?

Just sounds like intermod to me

manero
Jan 30, 2006

So I've got this going on with HRD, my TS590, my laptop and my imac, which is functioning as my external display via mini displayport.

It might be a little bit hard to see, but I've got noise at 60hz, and every 60hz after that. It goes away as soon as I unplug from the imac, which leads me to believe the imac's power supply is either malfunctioning, or just noisy and transmitting the noise back up the displayport cable. I tried some ferrite beads on the displayport cable but that didn't help.

TS-590S -- USB --> macbook pro -- Displayport --> iMac

I'm guessing either replace the imac's power supply, or ditch the imac altogether as an external display? Any other ideas for mitigating this noise?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

MisterOblivious posted:

That sounds an awful lot like a ground loop.
Have you tried the laptop on battery power?

Yep- no difference. It goes away as soon as I unplug my laptop from the iMac.

I've read a bunch of stuff online about my specific iMac with faulty power supplies, so I was starting to go down that route.

The only other things I could think of are to try a normal monitor, or temporarily disconnect my station ground and see if that eliminates the loop.

Thanks for the suggestion!

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

The ZS6BKW antenna looks pretty good. Does the ladder line need to be vertical as in the diagrams, or can it be run along the side of the house to get it to my posting station? I'm thinking I may be able to stick it up along the side of the house if the ladder line's orientation doesn't matter. The hardware store in town should have everything I need to build it, including insulators for mounting.

Edit: drat, I've surveyed the house and the longest line I could get was about 20 yards even. And that runs right alongside what I assume is the line from Comcast.

Maybe a vertical? Or a hamstick out the window.

You could also try a G5RV jr. I've got a long skinny yard and not a ton of room, and I managed to get one up -- I think you need maybe 51 feet or so.

It won't tune up on 80, but I've managed to land some awesome dx out in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. The antenna isn't even up that high, and the legs are definitely not straight. It's by no means the best antenna, but it will definitely get you in the air, and a prebuilt one won't run you that much.

Edit to fix screwy formatting

manero fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 2, 2013

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Passed my Extra! I was the only upgrade at the exam today, there were 3 or 4 other guys sitting for their techs. Pretty sure they all passed... unfortunately with the shutdown, they'll probably be waiting a while for their calls :(

In other news, I sunk a proper ground rod and that managed to clear up my ground loop problems.. time to hook up the Signalink!

manero
Jan 30, 2006

SiB posted:

I'm having a real hard time getting the courage to punch holes in my brand new house. Help.
Two or three RG8s.

Just do it! Nothing a little expanding spray-foam or silicone sealant can't fix.

Otherwise drill some holes in a 2x4 cut to length and use it as a window passthrough, with a couple of those female-to-female coax connectors. I think a 5/8" hole is just the right size.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

DJ Commie posted:

Since I work in the communications industry (LMR racing communications), I picked up my Technician license a few weeks ago. KK6HHO!

Also sup Jonny

Congrats!

In other news, one of the legs of my G5RV Jr snapped after a snowstorm. Not entirely sure what caused it, since it wasn't all that windy, so maybe it was the cold and ice. Off the air on HF for now until I pull the antenna down and fix it. :(

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I've started to notice some nasty EMI on 40 and 10 meters. I think I've got two sources of interference. The first is an intermittent, random clicking, which is probably some equipment arcing somewhere nearby. Time to brush up my RDF skills :v:

The other is a fairly persistent hum. I've shut off all the power in the house, and I hear both.

My question is, could my antenna being roughly the same height and parallel to the power line drop to my house be causing the hum? It's perhaps 20 feet away. Unfortunately the power drop from the pole in my backyard cuts straight through the length of my lot, and my G5RV is in pretty much the only place I can manage an antenna on my lot.

The noiseblanker on my radio handles most of the noise, but it's pretty annoying.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Motronic posted:

It may not be the cause of these particular issues if they are new, but that's really, really bad antenna placement.

No chance of getting one end even 10 or 20 feet in another direction so it's not paralleling the lines? Dropping one or both sides into an inverted vee?

At 20 feet away I wouldn't be surprised if you are drat near close enough to be coupling to the power lines.

The antenna (and power) run north-south through my lot, with the south end lower and closer and the north end higher and further away, but roughly following the height of the power line.

I may try dropping the north end and shooting for an inverted vee. I'd love to put something on my roof but it's pitched pretty steeply, and the guy who owned my house in the 80's actually fell off it and died :(

manero
Jan 30, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

If you're going to stick a mag mount to the same spot, just buy a sample square of 3M paint protection film and apply it first. I didn't notice any performance hit to the antenna and when I decided to just drill a hole, the film peeled right off with no paint damage after two years of mag mount use.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...sample&_sacat=0

I think the January QST had a thing about this. The trick was to apply a bumper sticker to the magnet side, and then trim around the base of the magnet.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

This weekend I worked RX0AK in Siberia on 20m around 9pm local time:

My G5RV is definitely not pointed north, so I was quite surprised to have made the contact. Any chance the aurora over the north pole helped the contact?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Motronic posted:

SSB or digital? I pretty routinely work that part of the world at 30-40 watts PSK31 and my antenna (ZS6BKW) is definitely not oriented in an efficient way to do so.

SSB, I had to crank up to 95w.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Motronic posted:

NICE, that's a good contact for the direction your antenna was facing. I was having all kinda of noise on 20 and 75 last night. I did manage to make some decent contacts on 40, but the band was coming and going.

You probably weren't getting auroral propagation unless the signal was fluttery and raspy sounding.

It was maybe a little fluttery. Definitely not raspy, but the signal was also not super strong, so it was hard to tell. I really wish I had that QSO recorded!

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Vir posted:

Have you tried using a propagation predictor with the the time, date and solar date of your contact and seen if regular ionspheric conditions would predict the propagation.

I have not. Is there one online somewhere? For the record, I worked J85K (St Vincent/Grenadines) about 40 minutes earlier, at 02:08 UTC on the 23rd.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Llyr posted:

The chatter was very distorted and bleeding across multiple channels.

Probably using (illegal?) amps!

Actually I don't know what the laws are like in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Bitchkrieg posted:

PS -- is there an SA net or sked that any of y'all participate in? I'd be down to try to talk to some of you, even if just for awkward mouth breathing before announcing callsigns, if it means getting practice on the air.

40m goonnet. Let's do this.