Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

The signal stick is great. But you might end up overloading the poor ‘feng’s receiver with a good antenna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

thehustler posted:

60 mins of morse with copen on Vail has done more for my CW skills in that hour than I thought possible. Thanks, cruft.

Edit: Then we all listened to manero in a park

Only 3 Q’s on 20 but it was nice to get out. 90F today and I think my PX3 overheated, but it was a blast!

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Aw man. I hope you can get it fixed, I’d hate if my F6 bit the dust.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

thehustler posted:

Do I need an 878, or is an 868 just fine for like 99% of use cases?

You can tell I’m rocketing towards a decision here. £30 extra doesn’t seem worth it for APRS - what else can an 878 do? The 868 is a better bet than an analogue-only radio like a Yaesu FT4X, which seems stupid to buy in 2021.

And it means I still have some pennies left for an FT817 later in the year.

I personally dig APRS, but I don't know how good the implementation is on the 878. I also don't have any experience with the Anytone radios, or DMR in general really. It might be worth it just to have the flexibility down the road if you decide to get into APRS though.

E: According to this thread, it's TX-only at fixed intervals, and doesn't receive/decode APRS packets, which IMO is just as useful. So maybe not worth the extra cost.

manero fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 30, 2021

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I reassembled my homebrew buddipole I built back in 2012 and used it for a bit this past weekend while my wire antenna is down for some house repairs. At 16' it was basically NVIS for 20m, but I did manage to work K2M and K2D on CW, so I guess it works!

The pole can extend up to 24', so maybe next time I will try a bit higher.... but my 30' fiberglass mast and an end-fed wire is way easier to deploy and probably way more efficient.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah, I've gotten way more mileage out of my EARCHI random-length endfed, which is basically a 9:1 balun and like 30 feet of wire, plus a counterpoise. So much easier to get up on the air with, at least for portable.

My home station is just an 80m doublet fed with 300-ohm ladderline to an ATU, and it works pretty well.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Anyone know anything about POCSAG?

I’ve got this transmitter, which windows 10 picks up and installs just fine, and this pager receiver but I can’t seem to find any software that will broadcast pocsag other than some raspberry pi project on GitHub.

Is this a case of I need the OEM software to do it?

I figured it would be fun to play with since it seems like straight serial over radio, you can intercept and decode it easily with a regular old rtl-usb stick

Cool! I managed to dig up the manual here: https://usermanual.wiki/Ototronix/EM-898B-1995250.pdf

Maybe the manufacturer will send you a .zip file if you ask nicely? IDK

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I'd be curious to see if you get any sort of command prompt if you connect to it with a serial terminal app.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

wowwww, what a shitshow, lol

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Saw this coming out from Xeigu which seems like a cheaper version of icom's 705 (excepting the 705's support of VHF and UHF) which includes a tuner as well. Has anyone seen any reviews on this yet?

https://www.radioddity.com/products/xiegu-x6100

That thing looks rad. I think K4SWL (the qrper.com/swling post guy) basically gave a "do not recommend" for the GSOC thing Xeigu made, hopefully they can work out whatever issues they had with it.

Laughing at Elecraft getting lapped on a theoretical KX4.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

horse_ebookmarklet posted:

Anyone know how to order parts from ICOM in America? Or a distributor?
Anyone who has actually succeeded doing this?
I lost the bottom of the case to my IC7300. Whoops.

I've had it splayed open fer fiddlin' since October 21 and haven't seen the bottom since then. Not sure how I lost something that big, awkward and sharp. Sometimes I surprise myself.
Finally got the "form factor" board for my IC7300 display capture project figured out. Would be cool to have my radio back in one piece and closed up.

Broken/for parts ic7300s are $700 on ebay. Absurd.

Your best bet is probably to contact icom support and see how much they want for a bottom case.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I know this isnt strictly the thread for this, but what is the state of CB radio in 2022? I'm about to buy a Honda Goldwing from the early 2000's, which comes with a built in CB radio that it will pipe right into your helmet. That seems like a cool option to have, but have truckers and other highway traffic moved on to some form of digital CB, or do they use some sort of internet connected thing now? Or is it still just plain old analog CB out there?

I think the FCC just approved FM on CB. Otherwise it's probably mostly AM and SSB still.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Big Mackson posted:

2 days from tokyo to norway for my ic-7300, slower from south norway to north norway lol.

Have anybody tried PTRX-7300? I am looking for ways to get the best broad spectrum signal out of 7300 to computer/sdr.

I had a PTRX when I owned a 7300, it was great. It was super easy to install (and remove), as well - I think you'll spend more time with the screws for the case, than it takes to install.

I had it paired with an RSP1A, and it worked perfectly - I had the VFO synced with it using omnirig.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Big Mackson posted:

Awesome, maybe my "touch of death" as my brother has dubbed it wont affect the ic-7300 while installing.
(i also have a rsp1a so are you me from the future?)

It's easy, just follow the directions. I'm pretty sure you can find videos on YT of people performing the installation.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Maybe 1.5 years ago in this thread I had an idea for an ic7300 mod I could maybe sell.

Turns out having just an idea is worthless.
Doing a proof of concept is a lot of fun and rewarding.
Making it into a thing you can let other people use is extremely difficult, time consuming, and discouraging.

I made a halfway ok youtube video, and wrote like 7000 words of documentation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HstbYwh1uc

What do people think? Looking for some gentle reality check here.

I've spent so much time on this I think I've lost sight if people will actually want this thing or what people's expectations are.
I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel for this project. Hopefully it is not the light of an oncoming train.

Oh hey, I remember this. Great job!

I feel you on the "turning it into a thing someone can use" thing. At the risk of doxing myself, I wrote a web-based remote control app for an HF radio during Covid, and turned it into a full-fledged open source project. Releasing it and announcing it was terrifying.

I even went so far to make Windows binaries for all the hams running Windows, so they wouldn't have to install any dev tools to compile it or anything. It's been all of those things - difficult, time consuming, but maybe not discouraging -- although I've found my motivation came and went over the last couple of years. I have had a fair number of people using the app, and some nice hams even sent me some cash over the holidays, but it definitely didn't pay for the 100's or 1000's of hours I put into it over the years.

Having a roadmap helped out, and it was also nice having some active users testing the app out and sending bug reports and feature requests.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Cool to hear about your project and the same sort of experience and anxiety around announcing it.

The discouraging is more feeling it is never done. I opened up like 18 github issues for things that effect the open source app, and probably have another 5 tasks for the closed source parts of it. Just a big list of things before it is ready. Trying to aim for good and not perfect...

The 100s or 1000s of hours, I feel you here. I'm probably ~500 hours and $2k in NRE, $5k in materials. My significant other is being very patient!!

The active users thing is a really good idea. I am about to try and get some. Free closed beta (5), then a paid beta (another 5) where people pay essentially cost, and then go general availability.
When I get there I might even ask people on the forums about being in the beta and get banned probably. I wonder if :10bux: is deductible as a business cost.

One thing I struggled with at the start, was whether to make it a commercial product, or to open source it. I probably could have made some good money selling copies of the software, but I decided I didn’t want to turn my hobby into a job. Be aware of that angle.

Coincidentally enough, I have 18 open GitHub issues as well, and I’ve justly accepted that I’ll never get to some or just not even bother. “Good enough” definitely helps in this situation. Sure, it would be cool to be able to use a browser’s audio API to stream mic audio to the radio, but in reality, I’ll probably never get to it, and it’s totally fine.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I am interested in the technical aspects you've got going on there! but I understand re: doxx
What did you end up using to pipe audio back to the html5 gui?
For my native->native app, I'm looking at WebRTC, RTP, and maybe something homebrew nonsense protocol.

WebRTC looks cool because two way natively, reasonable C++ clients, and if I wanted to give myself an enormous amount of work I could do a web client.
RTP seems reasonable/old/proven, just gotta fight with ffmpeg/libav, which I may have to do with WebRTC anyway.

I'm not sure how sensitive the latency issue is going to be and how much to fiddle. Curious how you addressed the problem!

And yea, riding the line between fun and work, scales tipping towards work at the end of development here, having to force myself to finish it. Being a hardware/software project my hand is somewhat forced, I basically have to sell it for 2x my cost to have it make any sort of sense and keep it going. I think?

The radio sends RTP packets that contain raw PCM samples, so it was pretty easy to pick the payload out of the packets and send them to the browser over a websocket. But that was after lots and lots of reverse engineering to figure out what the sample rate was.

The latency isn't too much of a problem, but it adds up when you use the app across the internet. At home on a LAN connection, the audio matches up fairly closely.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I vouch for Crossbar being a POTA monster

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Heck yeah, congrats! Now you don't have to worry about those pesky General class band limits

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Does moisture wick through coax cable shields? Kinda sucks, but I think I have a 25 and 50 foot cables that are gonna be a loss.
I am moving to a new house and pulled down my antennas. A couple coax cables have chews in them from I think squirrels.
I chopped the damaged portions out with the intention of putting new pl259s on, but I noticed the braid is corroded like 6+ inches from the chews.

Also I scored a screaming deal, an IC730 and an Astron RS-35A for $800. My current supply is a switching one, this linear one is absolutely enormous.
They guy selling didn't want to bother with shipping, so I did the 2 hour haul out to the boonies to pick it up which is why it was so cheap
It'll be nice to have a IC7300 that I have all the parts for and will remain assembled.

100% absolutely, yes. Consider that coax toast

manero
Jan 30, 2006

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

The norwegian words might be "en unnskyldning for å kjøpe en fresemaskin".

In other news, I let my technician license expire 15 years ago, got it again in December, and now that I have more money than I did when I was in middle school the HF bug has bitten me hard. I just bought a study guide for my general license. Any common wisdom about doing that vs jumping straight to Extra?

You need to pass General first, but you can totally sit for both tests. Not sure if they grade your General first, before letting you take the Extra, though, I'd imagine that's how it works.

The Extra test is a bit more challenging, more material (50 questions, I think), but it's entirely possible to do both in one go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Supersonic posted:

I've heard good things about its receiver, but the ergonomics make me a little nervous. There's currently a sale on at DX Engineering, and Icom also offers a mail-in rebate which puts the price comparable to the FT-710 AESS so I might jump on that in a few weeks.

There might be some sales around Hamvention in mid-May as well.

Any Goons going to Xenia?