Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

Every King needs his jester

ja raul posted:

Are there any goons in western South America right now? I'll be arriving in Lima on July 20th and have no concrete plans outside of eventually seeing Macchu Picchu and Iquitos.

Not anymore, but you'll end up finding that most people down there end up going down to Huacachina and Nasca, and then either south to Arequipa, Puno, Cusco, and back to Lima, or do the reverse, roughly. To get to Iquitos you need to fly there probably from Lima, but there are lots of other jungle areas, including some near Cusco, which are a lot more accessible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3rd World Dictator
Jun 28, 2006

Ask me about my tasty empanadas
Hey! Great thread, I'm glad it got bumped. I was looking for threads on South America and was really sad that I didn't see more :( How is it we have an Africa tag and not a South America tag?? And it's such an amazing place... oh well!

I'm going to be moving to Uruguay for 7 months (probably in early November...wish I could go earlier, as I could, but I have some obligations to take care of :(). It's been neglected in this thread, you bastards!! ;) Primarily, this is to practice my Spanish... I'm half Venezuelan (but I have family in Uruguay, whom I will be staying with), but don't know Spanish (well, that's unfair to me. I have a very solid grasp of the grammar and can hold down basic conversations, as well as write pretty well, but I am nowhere near fluent and would like to get to the point where I can have natural conversations). Did I mention my family doesn't speak English?? GOOD TIMES! Either way, I have some questions...obviously my family there will know the day in and day out, but I think there are some questions they won't have the context to cover -- things that they've just never had to think about, as it is their home!

I'll be spending most of my time in Uruguay, but I'll also be visiting Venezuela (I have lots of family so it should be safe enough, as I won't be wandering out alone). I also have family in Lima I can stay with, huzzah. Not sure what other countries I'll visit, although obviously Argentina is a given, being so close! I'm not much of a clubber though...I prefer nice bars, live music, that sort of thing. I don't dance (I know, I am the worst hispanic)

Questions! Help with even one would be appreciated

-what sort of clothing should I bring? I just don't want to be LOL UNFASHIONABLE GRINGO. I normally rock jeans, t shirts (fashionable, fitting ones, not goony ones), simple things like that. I imagine I can just bring a little clothing and buy some more there?

-Is my nice camera gonna get robbed hardcore? I have a pro level cam.

-I have all the common immunizations you get in the states, but anything I should look into? I don't think I'll hit up brazil (else I think I'd need yellow fever), but I wouldn't mind getting a couple just to be safe or whatevs

-should I use my american credit cards for an extended stay? I plan to get a bank account with a local bank (I've looked into the whole ridiculousness about how americans can't open accounts with the good banks...) and my mom will wire me money as I need it...I guess I don't have any other option than rock cash, unless an american credit card is fine. I don't want to pay 7 months worth of fees or something though. I assume I can also withdraw money from ATM's using a visa bank card, I'll just pay a fee?

-Can I find a decent bike for cheap, or should I bring my bike up? I hear it's a very bike friendly place

-Any recommendations on how to work on my Spanish when I get there? Obviously, staying with family who doesn't speak english means I have no crutches, but I guess I just don't know how to go about talking to people besides them (lord knows they'll get tired of "repite repite repite"). A huge reason for me taking this trip is to get my spanish to a conversational level (as well as have fun in SA :), so yeah. And I know, they speak a dialect of Spanish, but I think the chance to live for free for so many months with awesome people I'm related to trumps having to weed vos and sos out of my vocab ;)

-On that note, what are good ways to meet random people? I'm gonna have a lot of time to myself, to entertain myself...

-Is there an ideal time to book the tickets? They're sitting around 1700 now... I'd like to get that as low as possible. Earlier in the thread you mentioned exitotravel.com...looks like they have some bookings on extended stay stuff. I'll give them a call.

-Curious about medical care. I'm not going to be a student...and I won't be covered under my parents any longer. I assume I should try and get some private insurance, if possible? I've seen some sights that offer insurance broad, but given Uruguay has NHC, how does that work? I assume foreigners there aren't covered, but maybe healthcare is super affordable without insurance? This isn't a HUGE worry of mine but I feel it should be!

-Just to make sure: The visa issue! With an american passport, I know I can stay 90 days in Uruguay without having to leave. But if I leave and come back, is that renewed? This is pretty important! EVERYONE I've talked to says even hopping over to BA for a day would be enough to reset it, but I'd like to get more opinions!

I'm so excited, but I want to pin this poo poo down. Lord knows I have the time to

3rd World Dictator fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jul 13, 2009

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Wooh posted:

Questions! Help with even one would be appreciated

-what sort of clothing should I bring? I just don't want to be LOL UNFASHIONABLE GRINGO. I normally rock jeans, t shirts (fashionable, fitting ones, not goony ones), simple things like that. I imagine I can just bring a little clothing and buy some more there?

-Is my nice camera gonna get robbed hardcore? I have a pro level cam.

-I have all the common immunizations you get in the states, but anything I should look into? I don't think I'll hit up brazil (else I think I'd need yellow fever), but I wouldn't mind getting a couple just to be safe or whatevs

-should I use my american credit cards for an extended stay? I plan to get a bank account with a local bank (I've looked into the whole ridiculousness about how americans can't open accounts with the good banks...) and my mom will wire me money as I need it...I guess I don't have any other option than rock cash, unless an american credit card is fine. I don't want to pay 7 months worth of fees or something though. I assume I can also withdraw money from ATM's using a visa bank card, I'll just pay a fee?

-Can I find a decent bike for cheap, or should I bring my bike up? I hear it's a very bike friendly place

-Any recommendations on how to work on my Spanish when I get there? Obviously, staying with family who doesn't speak english means I have no crutches, but I guess I just don't know how to go about talking to people besides them (lord knows they'll get tired of "repite repite repite"). A huge reason for me taking this trip is to get my spanish to a conversational level (as well as have fun in SA :), so yeah. And I know, they speak a dialect of Spanish, but I think the chance to live for free for so many months with awesome people I'm related to trumps having to weed vos and sos out of my vocab ;)

-On that note, what are good ways to meet random people? I'm gonna have a lot of time to myself, to entertain myself...

-Is there an ideal time to book the tickets? They're sitting around 1700 now... I'd like to get that as low as possible. Earlier in the thread you mentioned exitotravel.com...looks like they have some bookings on extended stay stuff. I'll give them a call.

-Curious about medical care. I'm not going to be a student...and I won't be covered under my parents any longer. I assume I should try and get some private insurance, if possible? I've seen some sights that offer insurance broad, but given Uruguay has NHC, how does that work? I assume foreigners there aren't covered, but maybe healthcare is super affordable without insurance? This isn't a HUGE worry of mine but I feel it should be!

-Just to make sure: The visa issue! With an american passport, I know I can stay 90 days in Uruguay without having to leave. But if I leave and come back, is that renewed? This is pretty important! EVERYONE I've talked to says even hopping over to BA for a day would be enough to reset it, but I'd like to get more opinions!

I'm so excited, but I want to pin this poo poo down. Lord knows I have the time to

I have only taken a weekend trip to Uruguay (Montevideo, Punta del Este, and Colonia) so my advice is probably not the best.

-Depends what type of people you like to hang out with. The clothes you mentioned sounds fashionable enough. Only tip I would give is to buy the more expensive clothing like jeans and nice shirts in the U.S. because any name brand clothing is a lot more expensive over there.

-I noticed and was told many times that Uruguay is a very safe country. I never felt threatened. Depends how street smart you are and the type of situations you plan to use your camera in of course. But I would say you should be fine.

-You really should get the Yellow Fever vaccine. I dont have the time to research it completely but it may be the case that the U.S. wont let you back in if you do not have it. Its something you should look into.

-I have never tried to open a bank account overseas. But if you find a bank that gives you free ATM transactions you should be fine (PNC does this for instance if you have a minimum of $2500 in your checking account). Having your mom wire money is probably going to cost a fortune. Best and cheapest way besides bring thousands in cash is to just withdraw from ATMs.

-I garantee that shipping your bike up there is going to cost a ton more than just buying a used/new one in Uruguay. Dont even bother.

-Try organizing conversation groups through couchsurfing or something as a way to practice. Or trade english lessons for Spanish lessons. Or, find a girlfriend/boyfriend.

-Going out at night is a great way to meet people. In just 2 days in Montevideo I was able to make a group of friends and we all went out the next night.

-I do not think Montevideo is a popular destination from the U.S. It would definitelly be much cheaper booking a flight to Buenos Aires and then taking a plane/ferry/bus from there. Much cheaper.

-If you will be studying at a university while you are there you can can student insurance. I went with http://www.hthstudents.com/ when I studies in Argentina for 4 months. The deductible was $50 so a routine checkup and things like that will not really be covered.

-You will need to get a student visa is you want to stay there for over 6 months, i am pretty certain. 6 months is no problem though. Just take the ferry like everyone says for a nice weekend trip and a Argentina stamp.

3rd World Dictator
Jun 28, 2006

I won't be a student, I simply have some time off and am going to go live with family and bone up on my Spanish. A good idea to also look at flights into BA, as well as the yellow fever vaccine.

Obviously getting an so there would be a great way to learn, but while I'm not very goony, you just never know with those latin women ;)

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

DustingDuvet posted:

I remember most hostels costing around 30-40 Reals in a dorm room when I went last July.

I'm sure the rates go up substantially for New Year's, but I'll check any way, thanks.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

I just wanted to share a few recent travel photos from the other week in Bolivia!

Salar de Uyuni

Indigenous Cholita women wrestling

Riding a boat in the jungle

Triiarii
Jun 4, 2009
I'm moving to Buenos Aires after this summer and I'd love to hear someone explain what it's like living there.
I've read a lot of things about the city and the surrounding area but things tend to get much more interesting/personal (obviously) when someone casually writes about it.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Triiarii posted:

I'm moving to Buenos Aires after this summer and I'd love to hear someone explain what it's like living there.
I've read a lot of things about the city and the surrounding area but things tend to get much more interesting/personal (obviously) when someone casually writes about it.

I am a bit behind on my travel blog but my latest posts are about living in Buenos Aires (I studied there for a semester).

http://jasonsinsouthamerica.blogspot.com/

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Triiarii posted:

Along with DD, I too spent the last semester in BsAs (DD, sorry I kind of sketched out at Asia de Cuba)

The city is great. The subway (for me at least) didn't take me anywhere I wanted to go. Buses go everywhere, but you have to be willing to figure them out/bring along your bus guide ($7 pesos at any newspaper kiosk). I ended up taking taxis a lot because if you can share them, it ends up being really cheap.

Day to day life is cool. There are tons of things to do when you have free time. The night life doesn't start till really late (don't even think of going to a club before 1).

Will you be working or studying?

The city is pretty chill, I never really felt that I was just one of 15 million. The accent was kind of annoying. It ended up being a lot more expensive than I thought/than it was 3 years ago. It's still cheap, but not like it was/there has been a lot of inflation.

The nightlife is great, I could probably write a really long post about that if you'd like.

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Aug 6, 2015

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

In Medellin at the moment, loving it. Has anyone been to the Flower Festival before? Have been here for 3 weeks and need to know if it's worth staying an extra couple for the festival.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Adnar posted:

In Medellin at the moment, loving it. Has anyone been to the Flower Festival before? Have been here for 3 weeks and need to know if it's worth staying an extra couple for the festival.

I went to the Feria de las Flores 2 or 3 years ago and it is definitely worth it. It was a ton of fun with parades, big concerts, lots of parties, special events, etc. I will be attending again this year. Maybe i'll see you there.

billy cuts
Aug 14, 2003

wrists of fury
Buglord

DustingDuvet posted:

Indigenous Cholita women wrestling

Just a note. Cholo/chola is a pretty racist term unless you're an indigenous person living in the city.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

billy cuts posted:

Just a note. Cholo/chola is a pretty racist term unless you're an indigenous person living in the city.

I had no idea. It's what the company who runs the event calls it. http://www.cholitaswrestling.com/

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

DustingDuvet posted:

I went to the Feria de las Flores 2 or 3 years ago and it is definitely worth it. It was a ton of fun with parades, big concerts, lots of parties, special events, etc. I will be attending again this year. Maybe i'll see you there.

Sweet, I think we've decided to stay. Going to get an apartment, staying in a hostel is killing me. It just seems to be full of pedophiles and other shirtless old guys at the moment.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Adnar posted:

Sweet, I think we've decided to stay. Going to get an apartment, staying in a hostel is killing me. It just seems to be full of pedophiles and other shirtless old guys at the moment.

Where are you staying? If it's the Pit Stop or Tigar Paw i could definitely imagine that. I would recommend trying either Casa Kiwi or the Black Sheep for the meantime while you are looking for an apartment. Those are more suited to young backpackers.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

DustingDuvet posted:

Where are you staying? If it's the Pit Stop or Tigar Paw i could definitely imagine that. I would recommend trying either Casa Kiwi or the Black Sheep for the meantime while you are looking for an apartment. Those are more suited to young backpackers.

At the blacksheep it's not too bad, have been here a couple of weeks. It just suddenly changed the last few days. Casa Kiwi is not really open at the moment (just a few rooms) due to renovations that look nowhere near finished.

Thurlow
Aug 14, 2005
You guys who studied in Buenos Aires: I'm thinking about studying Spanish there for 6 months or so. What schools did you go to? What are the prices like? I'm not going to be going through a US study abroad program or anything, as a year in Spain taught me that it's waayyyy cheaper to just enroll directly with whatever University is offering the classes. How about accommodation?

3rd World Dictator
Jun 28, 2006

Question about the return ticket that is usually required:

My plan is to go to Uruguay for 7 months, and use excursions to other countries to reset my visa. I WILL have a return ticket, but it will be for after my visa would have expired. Is this ok, or should I fab an itinerary?

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Wooh posted:

Question about the return ticket that is usually required:

My plan is to go to Uruguay for 7 months, and use excursions to other countries to reset my visa. I WILL have a return ticket, but it will be for after my visa would have expired. Is this ok, or should I fab an itinerary?

Unless you get something other than the standard tourist visa you cannot stay in the country for more than 6 months per year (no matter how many times you cross the border to reset your visa).

3rd World Dictator
Jun 28, 2006

DustingDuvet posted:

Unless you get something other than the standard tourist visa you cannot stay in the country for more than 6 months per year (no matter how many times you cross the border to reset your visa).

Oh, really? gently caress. Hmm. But I can apply for visa extensions, right? What would I need to do? I mean, I am planning on going to Venezuela for about a month so I would JUST clip it, but that is a bit too close for my tastes.

And what happens if you overstay? A fine, or incarceration?

3rd World Dictator fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 30, 2009

dave diggler
Sep 21, 2004

MC Scrillz posted:

The nightlife is great, I could probably write a really long post about that if you'd like.

yes please that would be fantastic :)

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
I didn't go to that many bars, but they're the only place you'll have any luck with drinking before 1am. As for bars, here you go:

The Alamo, Santa Fe and Uruguay, kind of a gringo bar, but they have huge rear end beers for cheap and you can play beer pong if that's your thing. A couple of other bars in that area are Shamrock, which has a decent "disco" downstairs if it's 3am on a Wednesday or something but you still want to dance. The Spot, Arenales y Ayacucho, also a bit of a gringo bar, but is good, has a ladies night, 2 for 1. I was able to get pretty decent pot here too. La Burgesa was near Pueyrredon, wasn't bad, but didn't spend a lot of time there. It's more a boliche than bar though.

Jobs Arenales and Agüero. Really good to go to for some beers with friends. Not really a gringo bar, so it's cool. Check it out.

In Palermo, Sugar has a good happy hour (2 for 1 until midnight, so that's like $5 pesos a beer, which is pretty good).

I realize most of the bars I know are gringo bars, but I honestly didn't go to too many in general.

Boliches:

Goa/La France Sarmiento y Callao (well, close enough). Thursdays you can get in for cheap if it's your birthday. Doesn't matter, because poo poo is stupid cheap inside. Beer for $3 pesos, mixed drinks for like $10. The music is ok, I felt like everyone was young though (18 or so). Right next door, Maluca Beleza is a decent Brazilian club. Downstairs Brazilian music, upstairs techno/whatever.

Pachá Need I say more? $65 to get in if you didn't know of someone, had some sort of special deal to get in before 2.30. They have a lot of good DJs stop by so I'd save it for then/Saturday is "the day" to go. It's really awesome.

Jet Don't know much about it, never went, but it's near Pachá on the Costanera Norte. Maybe worth checking out.

Kika good times. Just off of Plaza Serrano. Good mix of music, check it out. Have a party on Tuesday nights worth checking out.

Bahrein is in the microcentro, check it out Tuesday nights for drum n' bass. Never went other than a Tuesday, but the rest of it looked badass.

Madarine (something like that?) near...gently caress, I know where it is, but couldn't tell you how to get there, it's near Bosque Palermo? Def. near the water. Had a great time when I went. Would reccomend again. A++

Niceto Club 69 on Thursdays is awesome/a little weird, but in general it's a lot of fun, even if it's not Club 69 night.

Crobar by far my favorite club in BsAs. Never paid more than $40 to get in (if I had to pay at all) and the music was generally great. Sometimes they have a reggaeton room too. Only complaint is that is can be a bit crowded.

Amerika Big gay club. $50 pesos all you can drink. Went here once, had a great time (I had smoked beforehand, so that might have helped). If you're not gay, it's still cool, just go with a group and take advantage of the barra libre.

Hummer, supposed to be cool, never made it, heard mixed reviews.

Asia de Cuba...eh. It's ok. Nothing great. The drinks are pretty expensive though, even if admission is free.

Please stay away from Plaza Serrano. There are plenty of great bars and whatnot just a couple of blocks from it. Nothing but gringos and horrible discos. The bars there aren't even that good.

Never really went out in Recoleta (well, one Sunday night at Sahara...which was ok).

San Telmo is a barrio I never got to know as well as I'd like. Wednesdays, Museo is your best bet of pretty much any neighborhood. 3 stories, lots of iron, just regular music/a mix. Gets started "early" You might need to wear a collared shirt.

I'll think about this some more.

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 31, 2009

Thurlow
Aug 14, 2005
Hey Scrillz, could you talk a little about where you took classes? Prices, quality, etc. Also, how did you go about finding housing? Any good websites or anything?

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Wooh posted:

Oh, really? gently caress. Hmm. But I can apply for visa extensions, right? What would I need to do? I mean, I am planning on going to Venezuela for about a month so I would JUST clip it, but that is a bit too close for my tastes.

And what happens if you overstay? A fine, or incarceration?

Foreigners who would like to reside in Uruguay for more than 180 days, but less than a year, must obtain a 'Temporary Residence' that costs 550 pesos.

At the National Office of Migration in Montevideo, Department of the Minister of Interior, the applicant must present: - A police report from home country (obtained before traveling to Uruguay); - Passport (valid for 6 months beyond arrival date in Uruguay); - A health card, which costs 300 pesos and can be obtained in Montevideo; - A document providing a reason of stay of the Applicant in Uruguay. (i.e. certificate from university for students, employment contract, etc.).

If a person comes to Uruguay for a period of less than 180 days, he/she can enter the country with a Tourist Visa that has a duration of 30 days. Before the 30 days are up, the applicant must apply at the National Office of Migration for a 90- day extension that costs 216 pesos. Only one such extension will be granted with the tourist visa.

Absolute Zero
Mar 12, 2007

Best QB in Arizona history*

*projected
Glad I found this thread.

I'm living in Lima for the next two months on business. Anybody who has the opportunity to work down here, this is the best way to learn Spanish. I've been here only two weeks, and I already feel 100x more comfortable speaking Spanish. It's amazing how you are forced to learn when most of the people around you can't understand you unless you speak the language. I have to speak Spanish to get by at work, to go for a ride in a taxi, to order in restaurants, etc. It's been awesome.

Surprised nobody has talked about the weather here in this thread, but the mist is driving me insane.. coming from Arizona I don't think I've ever gone this long without seeing the Sun in my life.

Given that I'm here to work... I am a little limited on the time I can take to get out and enjoy the rest of the country (like, you know, the parts where the sun shines). Right know, I'm planning on making weekend trips Nazca and Cuzco/Macchu Picchu. Does anybody have any other good ideas for other weekend trips I can make from Lima?

I saw the Colca Canyon recommendation earlier in the thread, and that place looks pretty awesome. Is that typically a hike? How many days would I want to spend there? I'm not necessarily limited to 2 days if I can get a couple days off and make a long weekend of it.

I've checked out some of the basic tourist stuff in Lima (Museo de Oro, downtown, Miraflores)... where are some other decent spots here in the city?

Also... I'm here by myself, so if any other goons are traveling through feel free to hit me up. My coworkers mostly don't speak English, so it would be nice to have some other gringos to speak English with.

edit: Also, how's the skiing in Chile? Worth flying down for? I am usually in Colorado twice a month during the NA winter to ski, and I was totally bummed to find out how underdeveloped skiing is in Peru.

Absolute Zero fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 1, 2009

billy cuts
Aug 14, 2003

wrists of fury
Buglord

Absolute Zero posted:

Surprised nobody has talked about the weather here in this thread, but the mist is driving me insane.. coming from Arizona I don't think I've ever gone this long without seeing the Sun in my life.

This is why I loathe Lima. It's so gray and depressing, every day. The only decent time of year is in December/January...

quote:

Does anybody have any other good ideas for other weekend trips I can make from Lima?

Fly to Tarapoto or Iquitos and spend the weekend in the jungle. Round trip tickets on LAN run around $115.

quote:

Also... I'm here by myself, so if any other goons are traveling through feel free to hit me up. My coworkers mostly don't speak English, so it would be nice to have some other gringos to speak English with.

I won't be there until December, but there is a huge expat community in Lima. Check out http://www.expatperu.com

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Thurlow posted:

Hey Scrillz, could you talk a little about where you took classes? Prices, quality, etc. Also, how did you go about finding housing? Any good websites or anything?

I went with ISEP and did an exchange at the Universidad del Salvador, so I didn't take any private Spanish classes or anything like that, just literature and lingustics classes. Likewise my housing was taken care of through the exchange (I had the option of a student residence or a homestay).

I knew a couple of people who got a single at a hostel and it was pretty cheap.

Dusting Duvet might know of some sites though, he had to find his own housing.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Still traveling in Colombia, currently in Cartegena. Just wanted to post this, sometimes you get somewhere when you travel and it's amazing and blitzes all expectations. The last week I've been camping just in the back ground of this picture:

Cabo De La Guia in the Tayrona national park. It's about a 2 hour hike from the entrance but well worth it. This is what I imagined of the Caribbean. Camping was a bit overpriced but it was amazing. Especially after getting out of the shithole that is Taganga. Seriously, what an overrated dump.

Thinking of spending the next week or 2 doing a loop through Western Venezuela, it wasn't part of our original plans but I think it looks good and the poo poo canning everyone gives Venezuela is a bit unfair (Caracas aside).

Anyone have any tips or experiences regarding this or going to La Guajira?

3rd World Dictator
Jun 28, 2006

I just wanted to thank y'all for your help! Booked my travel to Uruguay, gonna be there from November 12th to June 12th, excluding excursions around South America, including a month in Venezuela (if I am not eaten by Chavistas), Buenos Aires, probably Lima, and who knows where else. So excited. Just need to figure out the most efficient way to practice my spanish! Thankfully the people I'm staying with don't speak english...

Special thanks go to Dusting Duvet.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Does anyone have any experience crossing the border from Maicao, Colombia to Maracaibo in Venezuela? We're planning on getting a bus from Cartagena -> Maicao then we're told you get in a dodgy collectivo which takes you through the border then onto Maracaibo? Then pick up a bus to Caro.

Any tips? Best place to buy black market Bolivars?

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Checking in from Peru, waiting for a bus to bolivia for the salt flats. So far we´ve explored arequipa a bunch and spent a day in lima which was pretty meh. The best thing so far was the colca canyon; we did a 2 day trek which was just about perfect and give you some incredible views, and if you nab a good guide like we did you´ll actually learn a ton about the area and its history. Chivay itself is also a pretty charming town and it probably would be pretty fun to spend an extra day there for more than just the canyon.

Right now i´m trying to book train tickets for machu picchu but the perurail website doesn´t seem to be working for me. When i try to search for a trip it comes up with a page describing the train I want and tells me to select an outbound and inbound trip, but there´s no way to select them. Has anybody else experienced this or is there a better way to book tickets?

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Pikey posted:

Right now i´m trying to book train tickets for machu picchu but the perurail website doesn´t seem to be working for me. When i try to search for a trip it comes up with a page describing the train I want and tells me to select an outbound and inbound trip, but there´s no way to select them. Has anybody else experienced this or is there a better way to book tickets?

I was able to buy tickets using that website last year. I just checked it out now and it is not working for me either. I was in Cusco during the busiest time last year and was able to find tickets a few days before. You should be fine buying tickets from a travel agency in Cusco the day before.

Absolute Zero
Mar 12, 2007

Best QB in Arizona history*

*projected

Pikey posted:

During the Winter the train leaves from Poroy. You have to select the Poroy --> Macchu Picchu route

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Adnar posted:

Does anyone have any experience crossing the border from Maicao, Colombia to Maracaibo in Venezuela? We're planning on getting a bus from Cartagena -> Maicao then we're told you get in a dodgy collectivo which takes you through the border then onto Maracaibo? Then pick up a bus to Caro.

Any tips? Best place to buy black market Bolivars?

Ok well this was an adventure. In a shameless hawking of my travel blog, I documented it here if anyone's interested: http://tinyurl.com/mdjcfz

Going on a 4 day track into the Los Llanos tomorrow, see some wildlife and fish for Piranhas!.

FX2000
Nov 2, 2007

This might hurt a bit...

Adnar posted:

Ok well this was an adventure. In a shameless hawking of my travel blog, I documented it here if anyone's interested: http://tinyurl.com/mdjcfz

Going on a 4 day track into the Los Llanos tomorrow, see some wildlife and fish for Piranhas!.

Don't miss Auyantepui while you're in Venezuela and hit up Angel Falls while you're at it, you can thank me later.

Oh and depending on how adventurous you are you might want to stay away from Caracas for the next couple of weeks, there's a few protests going on (as usual) but they're bound to get much worse over the following days (ask around about LOE if you want to find out more)

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

I'm heading to Peru two weeks from today (September 10th). We're heading to Mancura for a little while, but then will be in Lima for about a week. I'll be with locals, but does anyone have any other suggestions for things to do?

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

Every King needs his jester
A week is a drat long time to be in Lima. I wouldn't recommend more than like 3 days there, max. Could probably head down to Huacachina and Nazca for a few days, they aren't that far away and are also only good for short periods of time.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Yeah, I know, but I'm going there with my roommate who happens to be from Peru originally.

AbsoluteZero, I'd be down for a beer. Hit me up.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

I spent three months traveling around South America at the end of 2008 start of 2009. In all I was in Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Bolivia, Peru and Ecuador.

Favourite bits would include:

- Iguazu Falls. On the Argentinian/Brazilian border. Stunningly gorgeous waterfall park that puts most other waterfalls on the planet to shame. One day to see most of the park, two to do everything.

- Valparaiso at New Years. World's biggest New Years fireworks display and alcohol flowing in the streets. What more to say?

- Machu Pichu/Inca Trail. I did the full three day hike. NOT EASY at all, but incredibly satisfying. I felt so sorry for the suckers that just got the train up and missed out on all the real fun. Can be expensive but was worth it in my opinion.

- La Paz. This is one of the most enjoyable cities in the world. It is dirty, it is dangerous, the people are often very poor...but there are some incredible hostels, dirt cheap booze and so much fun to be had.

- Biking down the DEATH ROAD. Just outside of La Paz. The single most exciting experience of the whole trip. Hurtling down thousands of metres on a tiny dirt track with a lethal cliff to the side. Google "gravity assisted". They are far and away the safest and most sincere of the groups running the death road. They're a little more expensive but it is very worth it. On average one tourist dies on that road every year. My tour ended with lunch in an animal sanctuary. :wtc:

- Route 35. Bolivia. Coke bar if you're into that sort of thing. Chilled out atmosphere, cheap and safe coke, the cops stay away because they're bribed.

- Salt Flats. Bolivia. Amazing jeep tour around the alien Bolivian countryside and the salt flats themselves. Incredible sites, like nothing you'd expect on planet earth.

- Pampas tour. Bolivia. Go to the town called Rurrenabaque and book your tour there, don't book ahead it'll be far more expensive. They take you out into the swamplike pampas on a boat. You live in a superbasic hostel beside the river and go do interesting stuff during the day and drink at night. Unmissable. You live beside crocodiles.

As you might guess I love Bolivia. There is so much fun stuff to do in that country.

I have shitloads of photos, I can post some of the better ones later if people like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

FX2000 posted:

Don't miss Auyantepui while you're in Venezuela and hit up Angel Falls while you're at it, you can thank me later.

Oh and depending on how adventurous you are you might want to stay away from Caracas for the next couple of weeks, there's a few protests going on (as usual) but they're bound to get much worse over the following days (ask around about LOE if you want to find out more)

Unfortunately it was a bit of a poo poo to get to, especially when the only money we had we had to carry with us all the time. I actually really enjoyed Venezuela although the currency issues and the constant road blocks were a bit tiresome after a while.

We went from Maracaibo -> Coro -> Chichiriviche -> Merida and then did a Los Llanos tour which was amazing. Glad we went but 2 weeks was just about enough.

I put a lot of wildlife photos and stuff up http://4for10.net/adan/Words/Words.html (not trying to whore it out, I swear) the sheer amount of wildlife in Los Llanos is amazing (anacondas!).