Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Looks like my thread didn't work out too well, so I'll just ask here.

I'm visiting Peru in April. I'll spend about two weeks there.
Here's my current travel plan:

Land in Lima.
Visit my friend, the Museo de la Nación and the Museo de Oro.

South to Paracas.
Visit the Reserva Nacional de Paracas and get a boat tour of the Ballestas Islands.

South to Nazca.
Get a flyover tour of the Nazca Lines.

East to Cusco.
Take a train to Aguas Caliente station, get a tour of Machu Picchu and a tour of the Sacred Valley.

South East to Juliana or Puno.
Visit Lake Titicaca/Floating Islands of the Uros and the Reserva Nacional Titicaca.

Return to Lima.
Visit the Indian Markets.

Is this feasible in two weeks? Are there any other places I should absolutely not miss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Only one week until I'm off to Peru :)

A Young Turk posted:

I'd highly recommend skipping the Nazca lines and spending less time in Lima in favor of trekking the Colca Canyon in Arequipa, it's a very very very cool place. (The second deepest canyon in the world I think.) Arequipa is only a few hours bus from Puno. Whereas seeing the lines is expensive, you go up in a little plane which a lot of folks get quite sick in, and I didn't think it was particularly thrilling.

I'll do that then. The whole Nazca deal is not something I held as particularly important in seeing. That's one less detour to do.

A Young Turk posted:

Also, don't do an overnight tour of the floating islands - Lake Titicaca is really beautiful but the islands (uros especially) are very exploitative and touristy, it's not a very 'authentic' experience staying on the islands for any length of time. I think there were better islands on the Bolivian side of the lake but I'm not sure if you'd have time for that - Copacabana is a lot nicer place than Puno though.

And watch how much you spend in Aguas Calientes - it's a real tourist trap :)

I heard about that, I guess it's to be expected since those places are so popular. Much like anything around the Eiffel tower in Paris.

A Young Turk posted:

I don't know if two weeks is enough time for this though - I can't really judge from my experiences because I saw these things over the period of a few months and had a pretty lax attitude towards travelling, taking night buses to save money etc. I'm guessing you'd fly back to Lima from wherever you finish up?

Great advice, thanks. I doubt I'll be able to comfortably cram everything into the two weeks, so it's mostly a general guideline on what to do there.

Is there anything in particular I should bring with me, on top of clothes for hot & cold climate?

Edit: I'll most likely spend two days in Lima, so to make the best of it I'd like to know if there are any particular restaurants or foods I should try? Actually, I'd like to extend that question to food in general.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 6, 2009

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I'm planning a second trip to Peru, but I could do with some input.
My first trip was basically: Lima, Paracas/Pisco, Cuzco, Arequipa and Puno. Basically the South, so this time I'm looking at the North.

The plan would be something like: Lima, Trujillo, Chiclayo or Lambayeque, Leymebamba and Chachapoyas. The trip would be some time around November or December, about two weeks.

Any tips on what to do/see/eat around these places? Any places I absolutely must visit or avoid? :)

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

billy cuts posted:

I just got into Tarapoto, which is in the western upper Peruvian Amazon. I'll be here for a couple weeks, then off to Yurimaguas for the rest of the time I'm in Peru. Give me a call if you're in the region -- 042-942-61-0220.

Speaking of the Amazon (Peru side), I'm trying to figure out which between Iquitos, Tambopata and Manú would be the more area interesting to visit, especially for wildlife (and birds in particular, though not exclusively). Has someone visited all three and found one or the other to be clearly superior, or are they all interesting in their own unique ways?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I'm going to be in Lima from December 22 to January 4, to see family. It's been an eternity since I was there, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I could do during that time... and if things are even open/active during the holidays.

I know the usual "get out of Lima after a day" stuff, I'm just wondering what are some close-by activities I could look into that would work spontaneously, since I expect the family stuff to be somewhat chaotic. Bonus points if it involves nature and/or wildlife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I have a really specific Brazil travel question.

Next August two friends and myself are planning on spending 6-8 days in the Pantanal, arriving from Cuiaba and then afterwards heading to either Chapada dos Guimaraes or Bonito for another 6-8 days.

One of my travel companions is a biologist and the other is like me a huge wildlife photography enthusiast. Since our budgets are wildly different but we want to stick together, I'm wondering how realistic it is to self-drive most of our time in the Pantanal and what we might want to do/not miss out on. if anyone's done some activities in the area or can recommend some I'm super interested.

e. Guess I killed the thread, go me!

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 12, 2016