Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

September
Sep 27, 2007
Leaving for Peru this Wednesday. I'm pumped!

I have read through the posts here and have an idea of things to do. Now I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on things to BUY. I have read that they have great Alpaca wool... great for sweating my balls off here in Texas. I've also heard they have good silver and cool hats (I think they might be bowler hats).

What are other quintessential (or cheap) Peruvian goods to watch for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

September
Sep 27, 2007

roflcopter thief posted:

Any questions about Brazil? I am currently living in Fortaleza, Ceara. I have been to Manaus/Amazonas, Florianopolis, Curitiba, and Rio as well.

I am searching for a work assignment in South America (esp Brazil, Argentina, Chile and Uruguay). I am a mechanical engineer working in Texas. International travel, studying abroad and my recent trips to Brazil and Peru combined for a desire to return and live there for at least a couple years.

I have a background in Spanish and French. If I find a position in Brazil I will prep Portuguese with Pimsleurs/Rosetta Stone.

I am interested in making connections to learn more about the cities and job market.

Here are a couple questions:

1. What are the popular job websites? (the montster.com and careerbuilder.com sites in South America)

2. Are there popular ex-pat forums in each country? I google'd without much luck.

Anyone feel free to email me and I can provide more information about my background and qualifications.

Thanks!

email: the . taaka at gmail dot com (remove spaces)

September
Sep 27, 2007

DustingDuvet posted:

Over the past few years I have bookmarked a bunch of internship opportunities fro Gringos in Latin America. A lot of these companies/organizations are also hiring people for full-time jobs. Let me know what type of job you are looking for and I will see if I find anything that may interest you.

I am interested in being one of those gringos! What types of jobs/companies do you come across? I'm a mechanical engineer - interested in full time work.

September
Sep 27, 2007
I will be traveling in Brazil for 10 days next month. I fly into Sao Paulo and fly out of Rio. I'm rolling with a few buddies from college and we're looking for a party. I know it's winter and all, so I'm looking for a beach or rainforest spot that also has a good nightlife to hit in between the big cities. Recommend away!

I've heard Recife is cool. Bahia. Jericoacoara (heard this might be an older people spot).

I started learning Portuguese with Pimsleur mp3s once I heard about the trip. I'll only have about a month under my belt before arriving. I have a background in Spanish that will help once I get comfortable with the differences in pronunciation. I don't have any experience with Rosetta Stone. Could that be helpful to supplement before my trip?

September
Sep 27, 2007

roflcopter thief posted:

There's a small beach town 3 hours southeast of Fortaleza, it's called Canoa Quebrada. It fits what you're looking for, but it's farther away from SP/Rio. I haven't been to Jeri myself but I always got the impression that it's more scenic beauty, less party.

Are the northern beaches way better than things around Rio? My friends want to party hard in Rio and that would leave only 2 nights, maybe 3 if I pushed for a northern beach spot. Many of the places are a 6+ hour plane ride (with stops) followed by a bus ride of 3+ hours. Jericoacoara is a plane ride, up to 7 hour bus ride (really?), followed by a dune buggy ride over the dunes. The dune buggies would be awesome! Canoa Quebrada is also a plane ride + bus ride which will kill a couple days in travel. That's a big investment for an unsure benefit.

Buzios is supposed to be a cool beach and it's close to Rio. That eliminates a plane ride and saves the day for chilling on the beach instead of cooped up on a bus. It's not in the north, so the weather will be 75F highs instead of 85F. We've been in 100+F Texas so that doesn't seem that bad for chilling on the beach. Am I missing anything by going to Buzios for a couple days?

Also, we're currently planned for 5 nights in Rio. My group is ready to party hard and their friends that have been around Brazil a bit (likely not as much as many in this thread) recommend spending more time in Rio. Is 5 nights too long?

Here are some places around Rio that one friend recommends:

quote:

Grumari
Angra dos Reis: Lagoa Azul
Buzios
Alto da Boa Vista: if you are accompanied by a native!!

I don't think there is much around Sao Paulo, just a big crowded city. All of these sites are in Rio, of course.

Also there is the classic Rio things to do like...

Pao de Acucar- its a sweet mountin on the coast with a restaurant on top
and a ski lift thingy to ride up.
Cristo Redentor- visit the giant statue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

September
Sep 27, 2007
Awesome roflcopter. I appreciate your information.

We'll be in Rio July 22-26 (Wednesday-Sunday).

My Portuguese will be limited. I've completed all 90 Pimsleur units for Spanish then speak it with people in Texas. I'll have 32 Pimsleur Portuguese units complete by the time I step foot in Brazil. I usually get proficient enough to handle a conversation around 60 units. It'll probably be basic skills + throwing in Spanish and hope for the best. I'd hop on Rosetta Stone too if I could find it.

I'm hoping for better weather on Pao de Acucar and Cristo Redentor this time. It was clouded over so I'd lose people 20 feet away. The only time I've been to Rio was in high school with family so I'm excited for this more independent experience.

Do y'all have any suggestions for lodging? One chick my friend knows recommended an Ipanema hostel:

quote:

Here is another hostel that I have been to. Ipanema Beach House Hostel http://www.ipanemahouse.com/ . Our friend DJ'de here one night, and it is a really cool place with a big courtyard. It's in Ipanema, a GREAT area, my suggestion for hanging out during the day is to go to 'Posto' 9 here in Ipanema. It is where everyone gathers on the beach to drink caipirinha, hang out, etc..but there are a lot of tourists here so don't bring all your money to the beach and dont smoke pot at posto 9, you can get a ticket, hahaha. I have seen this happen to way too many people!