Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I'm currently studying abroad with my university in Quito. I've been here for about a month and have a month left. Here are some things I did that I loved:
- Shopping in Otavalo
- Visiting la costa: Montanita is the nicest part, I think
- A day at the hot springs in Papallacta ($USD 7 entrance fee, 2 dollars on the bus each way)
- Mindo
- Visiting la selva: this is something rather difficult to do, but I went with the university to the Tiputini Biodiversity Station in the Amazon and it was absolutely amazing. I would check out areas near Coca; there seemed to be other areas that might be more open to tourists than a research station.

I, however, have some questions for anyone who knows a lot about Ecuador! I want to make the rest of my time count. I only get to go travel on weekends because I have classes Monday - Thursday. Any trips I do have to be between 3 PM Thursday - evening on Sunday. Because of that, it kind of sucks to have a 12 hour busride. I don't have the money to go to Baņos or go rafting; after Montanita, any trip has to be under $50 at this point. Also, I am female, which can complicate travel issues in terms of safety, though I can travel in a small group. Where else can I go that won't cost too much?

Another question - having visited La Mariscal, I'd like to also check out some more traditional Ecuadorian clubs or bars, but without putting myself at too much risk (I can go with a group, but there are still areas we shouldn't go). Any names of specific bars, clubs, or general areas that have more local appeal but are still safe for gringos? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Thanks, Pusscat and DustingDuvet. I'll look into Banos and Cuenca and see about expanding my budget. This weekend I'm going to Chimborazo to ride the Devil's Nose and visit Rio Bamba. Everything I've heard about it is really nice. If I'm lucky I'll get to go through the cloudforest there and see the cascadas!

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Bachaao posted:

The first time I went to the Amazon was through USFQ to the Tiputini station. The second time, though I went to a pretty reputable ecolodge with a great guide, simply couldn't compare. If I ever go back, I'm definitely going to try to go to Tiputini... though I've heard that it's rather difficult and quite expensive if you aren't formally associated with USFQ. Out of curiosity, which home university do you go to?

I did it through USFQ as well. The whole thing was a study abroad program at Michigan State University. When did you go to USFQ, and what program were you in to go there?

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Adnar posted:

or a home stay? I've heard that this is by far the best way to learn immersion learning.

I did a home stay in Ecuador, and it definitely helps with the immersion. Make sure that if you have problems with your family you talk to the family and to the coordinators of the homestay program, and early on. I was uncomfortable with my family and didn't find them very sociable or inclusive most of the time, and it really took away from the experience.

A question for everyone else:
I've had some time to reflect on my study abroad experience in Ecuador, and I feel like I just didn't spend the time I had very well. I intend to live for awhile in another South American country in the future, so I'd like to avoid the pitfalls of my first experience. Here was my problem:

I was told it was a bad idea to travel alone after dark. It gets dark at like 6 pm, obviously. My homestay family's apartment was not in a bad area but there were never very many pedestrians after dark and it wasn't well-lit, so I didn't feel comfortable walking anywhere by myself at night. I only knew a couple people who were staying pretty far away, and I didn't know the area very well. In order to meet up with someone, we'd have to take a taxi from one person's house to the next and then to downtown or wherever we wanted to go. Taxis got pretty expensive as a habit like this (it would be like 10 dollars a night just in travel and I'm poor), so most evenings I ended up in the apartment, unable to go out. The family would be out a lot or would watch tv in their bedroom, so I ended up bored, alone, and frustrated many evenings. I'd say over half of the students from my university were robbed or mugged at some point there and I didn't want to end up like them. I had never lived in a big city before and didn't want to rely on my limited street smarts to get me by.

How can I avoid this problem? Were any of my precautions unnecessary, were my fears unwarranted? What can I do to make better use of my evenings on future trips, while still staying safe?

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Thanks for the info, DustingDuvet. I think the next city I visit may be Buenos Aires, since I also have family there it would make it even easier on me.