Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

TheImmigrant posted:

Brazil Stuff

Good info there! As someone flying to Brazil in 3 weeks with my better half for 2 weeks 1/2, I have a bit of last minute worries...

Our plan is to spend a few days in Sao Paolo visiting some friends of us, then exploring Rio de Janeiro, and the general region around both cities, maybe even go to Minas Gerais if possible. Is that a realistic itinerary?

As carnival seems to be in full force when we arrive (more of a coincidence really, didn't plan on that), is it still possible to find some accommodation, and if yes, is there a good website to book in advance (no need for 5-star hotels, a cheap clean hostel is enough)?

Also, as a European that never left his home continent, how safe is it? I like being off the beaten path and have been around shady neighborhoods in Eastern Europe without worries so I know a bit about how to keep my wits with me and not flash my shiny new smartphone around (never been mugged or been threatened with a weapon), but Brazil (and especially Rio) seems to be a whole other level, if the stories you hear are to be believed. So will I get mugged and later die from dengue fever, or are there some areas to avoid and behaviors to adopt in order to stay safe?

Thanks in advance!

Chikimiki fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Thanks a lot guys! Didn't think Ouro Preto was that far away, then again I am used to european distances. But anyways, it seems there's so much stuff to do around Sampa and Rio that we won't have time for a third region in our schedule. The Costa Verde looks like a really great spot, I hope it's not too crowded!
For carnival, according to our friends we'll be arriving right into Sao Paulo's at its height, so we'll have a first taste of this event - though I'd still like to see the one in Rio, because even if it is daunting, I'd rather not miss the opportunity to see it. Is that a stupid idea? What is the worst that could happen, besides getting mugged, starting a fight or drinking a spiked drink? :v:
Speaking of (in)security, it seems to me that being a bit more cautious than I usually am should be sufficient; I don't wear expensive clothes, my smartphone is budget option, and I always use a secret pouch while traveling too, but I guess I have to prepare myself psychologically for the possibility of theft, since I thankfully never experienced it :ohdear:

PS: Santa Teresa really looks like a great neighbourhood! Is there more like that in the city? :)

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Any Brazilians here?

I'm going to Brasil for a week with my girlfriend. 3 days in Rio, 3 days in Angra.

I'm thinking of renting a car and driving down BR-101 to Angra.

Is this a really dumb idea for a foreigner to do?

Caveats:

1. I'm from Argentina and am used to lovely drivers.

2. I speak (some) Portuguese and Spanish.

Edit: the alternative is taking the hotel transfer but it's more expensive and also the road seems like a fun drive.

Went to Brazil a couple months ago, didn't drive there but it didn't look too bad, outside of the Rio clusterfuck of course. Worst thing that could happen is your GPS taking you through a favela because it's shorter, but you can recognize the sketchy areas easily from afar.
Another alternative is to take the bus, there are quite a lot going down the coast: http://www.buscaonibus.com.br/

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

SixPabst posted:

I've been in Rio for the last week and a half and I highly recommend it. Especially now that - as of January 15th - US citizens can apply for an e-visa online for $40 and don't have to do the paperwork / pay $160 like we did. It's been one of the easiest places to travel in SA and I personally think the "danger" aspect is pretty overrated as long as you're not walking around looking like travel dad and staring at your iPhone. People are real chill.

Spending another week here and then headed to Manaus for a week, then Florianopolis for 10 days if anyone has any suggestions.

Rio is a really cool city, and yeah if you stay street smart it's not that dangerous. The worst was when we tried to venture into Lapa, on a friday night, during a carnival bloco - lots of sketchy people and guys looking for fights, so we took the first cab home. But this is kinda the worst case scenario, barring venturing into a favela. Basic advice: don't look like a travel dad, know which areas are ok, and look around you. Also, if you hear loud baile funk, retreat :v:

Fwiw, Paraty in Rio state (4 hour drive) is a very quaint colonial beach town, with lots of fun things around. I've heard good things about Ilha Grande too for nature gazing.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Cheers LAM goons! We are currently looking for a destination to do a 3 week backpacking trip in March with my girlfriend in South or Central America. We've heard a lot of good things about either Guatemala (and Belize) or Colombia (depending on who you speak to), so I was wondering what the goon advice would be for these countries, or if there is another country absolutely worth doing instead :)

About us: we are from France, both around 30 and like to do a bit a little of everything - city exploring, food tasting, historic sites, some sports and/or scenic hiking, some beaches (if it's worth it), etc. We've only been once to South America, namely Brazil, otherwise we've been around somewhat in Eastern Europe and South-East Asia. We don't mind basic comfort (bus rides, hostels, street food, etc.) as long as it is reasonably safe & clean. Also, we don't speak Spanish, but we can understand some basic stuff owing to the proximity with French.

Thanks a lot in advance guys!

T Zero posted:

Seconding this request for info.

I'm going to Brazil for a week in September, spending a couple days each in Campinas, Sao Paulo, and Rio.
I like architecture/interesting neighborhoods, museums, and hiking/nature. Any recommendations in those areas or must-see attractions actually worth the hype? I'm open to day trips too.

Also, is Uber/Lyft a viable option in Brazil? I'm not opposed to public transit or taxis, but I'm trying to minimize my use of cash.

If it's not too late, from Rio you could go to the colonial city of Paraty, or to the island of Ilha Verde. Of course, Rio and Sao Paolo are both great themselves (though SP is more rough around the edges) and have lots of stuff to do. Can't advise you on the Museums unfortunately, but if you like bohemian neighborhoods, you can check out Vila Madalena in SP or Santa Teresa in Rio.

Chikimiki fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 25, 2018

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Bumping this thread, based on airplane ticket prices we've finally decided to go to Colombia in March :toot:

We'll be flying in and out of Bogota, and we'll surely do the Bogota-Santander-Cartagena-Medellin(-Popayan-)Bogota loop. Any recommendations along the road or in the big cities, based on what I wrote above? Something in particular to watch out for, both positive or negative? Thanks in advance!

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Stanky Bean posted:

I hope you are flying some of those transitions because otherwise you are going to be spending alot of time on busses. Colombia has nice busses but still. For example Tunja to San Gil which is around 180 km took around 5- 6 hours by bus with stops last time I did it.

Yeah we'll have to look at flights between the 3 big cities (Bogota, Cartagena & Medellin), we've already had the pleasure of loooong bus rides in Brazil. Any airline you'd recommend or avoid completely?

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Hey goons! How does this Colombian itinerary look to you:

27/02 - Flight to Bogota
28/02 - Bogota
01/03 - Bogota
02/03 - Flight to Cartagena
03/03 - Cartagena
04/03 - Cartagena & Travel to Santa Marta
05/03 - Santa Marta
06/03 - Snorkeling or Diving in Santa Marta & Travel to Minca
07/03 - Minca
08/03 - Travel to Tayrona
09/03 - Tayrona
10/03 - Tayrona
11/03 - Travel to Medellin
12/03 - Medellin
13/03 - Medellin & Guatape
14/03 - Travel to Salento
15/03 - Valle de Cocora
16/03 - Sightseeing around Salento
17/03 - Travel to Bogota
18/03 - Flight back to Europe

As usual, I'm worried simultanously about missing out some cool stuff, and also overdoing it - it's our vacation after all. At least I'm trying to spend at least 2 nights anywhere, because changing beds every day sucks way more past 25.

Thanks in advance guys, cheers!

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Thanks for the tips!

Santa Marta I mainly added because I was a bit afraid that Cartagena would too touristy & expensive, and figured that Santa Marta would be more "authentic" (for lack of a better term).
Shame about the diving though, is there any good place on the coast for it? Islas del Rosario maybe? Keeping in mind we're absolute amateurs, apart from a diving baptism in the Mediterranean and some snorkeling in Sri Lanka we didn't do much, so any coral or sea critter will be amazing to us :)

Minca was recommended to us by quite a few people for relaxing in the mountains, so it seemed a cool place to spend a day or two. Would have liked to do the Ciuadad Perdida trek as well, but I'm afraid we wouldn't have time and physical condition for it.

I've looked at Barranquilla and it looked interesting, especially as we would be there in the middle of Carnival, but I don't know how complicated it is to get around etc.

How about Medellin? Are 2 days enough to enjoy the city?

Otherwise, as much as we prefer overlanding in public transport, I guess we'll be taking some internal flights and tourist shuttles if the alternative is too complicated, especially given the travel times in this country :v:

Thanks again guys, appreciate it!

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
That reminds me Hadlock, I've seen your advice in quite a few travel threads and as someone who tries to size down his luggage, do you have a specific packing list? I've taken a look at the onebag reddit and the packhacker website, but a lot of what they recommend is either very goofy looking (barefoot shoes, zip-off cargo pants...) or expensive or both :v:
TIA!

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Thanks a lot for the huge writeup! I have a tendency to overpack/overbuy so it's good to see something lighter. I noticed you didn't pack any hiking stuff (shoes or pants), wasn't it uncomfortable to walk or hike in jeans and sneakers? I like to walk and hike a lot everywhere I go. Also, no puffy down jacket for colder climates like the Andes or Northern Europe? And no pair of sweatpants to chill around?

I agree on the waterproof shell though, unless you plan on doing long treks in an extreme environment, there's no need for an expensive goretex jacket. Also, any excuse for beer and banh mi is a good one :colbert:

Cheers!

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Yeah I dunno if I would wear flip flops in an airport, seems kinda grungy to me :shrug: By the way, I thought about replacing the flipflops by some thin sandals, so as to be able to better walk around in them, or even use them as water shoes; does anybody do this?

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Yeah Rio is an amazing city to visit, despite the insecurity and prices :v:
Otherwise keep in mind that English is not very common in Bolivia and in Brazil (except for the big cities and the richer areas in the south), so you'll have better luck if you speak Spanish or Portuguese.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Medellin is nice. I've forgotten most of what little Spanish I had learned pre pandemic beyond basic pleasantries, probably should have been grinding Duolingo for the week before I got here, my pronunciation is probably even more horrific

Mask compliance is really good here. Not amazing, but I would say 60-80% of service industry workers wear them, a lot of the over 60 crowd wears them. Weather has been good so patios and restaurants have excellent ventilation

The customs guy was pretty adamant about my vaccination status (rightfully so) but I lost my vax card a long time ago (useless domestically anyway), thankfully he took my California digital vax record

Exchange rate is atrocious, 3750 at the airport, I've been paying for anything over $10 with a card and getting close to 4500 peso to the dollar (17% better exchange) not that anything here is hugely expensive here

Not that I'm renting a car but I think they have national gas price controls, it's about $2/gal here for 87 and diesel, premium gas isn't price controlled it's like $10/gal

Good to know, we have a flight to Bogota from CDMX early August. How's the general mood there? Tourists welcome with open arms or rather circumspectly ?

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

webmeister posted:

Update: today we changed at 315:1, things are going well!

We’re heading for Paraguay and then Brazil in a few days and I’m really going to miss feeling like a king

What is this rate thing? Quick googling suggests this means you'll have to arrive with your cash dollars in Argentina and change them for local currency on the :airquote: black market :airquote: Is that right?

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Having done a few months of travel in LatAm recently, we were almost never asked for proof of onward travel - except before boarding a plane from Mexico to Colombia. There are also some websites like bestonwardticket where you can buy a "fake" ticket just in case.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Has anyone been hiking out of the Huaraz area in Peru? How was your experience?

Went there last October, what exactly would you want to know ?

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

How was the weather/hiking conditions? I understand October is something of a shoulder season, between the dry and wet seasons.

What hike did you do? I'm thinking about the four day Santa Cruz hike. How was the scenery?

What operator/guide service did you go with and would you recommend them?

Weather-wise it was very nice, though it was supposed to be the start of the rainy season we had exceptionally dry weather for end of October. This also meant there were less people on the trek and a few agencies already had closed down. YMMV.

We did a few acclimatization day hikes (very important!) before doing the Santa Cruz trek: Laguna Wilcacocha, Laguna Churup and Pastoruri Glacier (little hiking but nice scenery and a good altitude training). Santa Cruz has really amazing scenery, totally worth it.

Although you can do the trek by yourself if you are experienced enough, by bringing your own equipment or renting stuff in town (Montañas Magicas is a good adress), we went with the guided tour from our hostel. Can't remember the name unfortunately, but it wasn't one of the big names in the guidebooks.
For the price we paid it was really worth it, you have a guide, donkeys to transport your stuff and tent, and a cook that prepares plenty to eat every day.
I'm guessing that if you go for the more reputable tours you get better equipment, English speaking guides, smaller groups, etc. but for us the basic package was fine. Not the easiest trek we did but really doable if you're reasonably in shape and acclimatized.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Awesome. So you booked the trek once you got there? In my experience in Latin America, that’s usually the way to go if you don’t want to be massively overcharged. Of course, this time I’ll be on a shorter schedule than I was as a backpacker in years past, so hopefully it’s easy to just walk in and book something for after you do the accilimitization hikes.

Yeah we booked it once we were there, after having done the acclimatization. We checked out a few agencies that were recommended by our guidebook, and while they seemed very good they were about 4 times more expensive.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Hibajubwa posted:

We’ve made our way up to Huanchaco and are now surfing the days away. Its a nice little town and the wave at the pier is great for our nonexistent skill level.

We stopped in Huaraz for about a week. Hiked up the Churup trail. It was rough… lol. That was my first time hiking above 14k ft, and man can you feel it. Then we got got by something we ate and spent 2 days sick in our apartment.

We’re probably gonna spend another week or so here surfing and chilling. Then my wife flys up to Cartagena for her girl’s trip and I’m left to my own devices…

I’m thinking about flying over to Iquitos and taking the slow boat down the Amazon to Leticia. From there I can catch a flight up to Medellín and meet back up with the wife. 3 days on a terrible ferry in the jungle is somehow appealing to me.

I did that last year from Leticia to Iquitos. It was an interesting experience, I would do it again in a heartbeat but it's definitely not for everybody.
You get to see the local life along the Amazon river, beautiful sunsets, lots of jungle... But on the other hand you spend several nights in a hammock, close to dozens of other people, the food is terrible (though there are snack vendors) and don't get me started on the bathrooms lol

If you have any questions about it shoot!

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Hibajubwa posted:

One current question is: should I take my laptop? Or should I send it with my wife?
I need it for work, and I’d like to have it for those non-boat days in between. I won’t see my wife again until the 2nd, so there are 3-4 days of work I could do while in Leticia/Medellín. My wife thinks its gonna get stolen on the boat, or that the risk of such isn’t worth those work days.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't risk it, many locals warned us of pickpockets on the boat - it is quite an opportunistic environment, what with having roughly 100-200 people in an open room full of hammocks, lots of stops along the route and no way to secure valuables. Also, very few tourists so you tend to stick out.
We basically slept above our backpacks, which we put locks on (despite there not being anything of value), and with our passports and phones in a neck wallet that we were wearing. Not the most comfortable, maybe overkill, but it gave us some peace of mind.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Hibajubwa posted:

Nearly non-existent. It was a bit crazy. I didn't have any bites until the last day down there.

Last time I went a few years back there were black buzzing clouds of those bastards. We bathed ourselves in repellent and still got hammered on all day everyday.

It also didn't rain a single time on me during my whole week in the Jungle. From Iquitos to Leticia, not a drop.

Yeah same here last September, apparently it was the end of the dry season locally. I guess it really depends on when you go there.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I loving love tacos! And I rarely eat Mexican food since it isn't as abundant here.

How do you get around, in Mexico and other places? Rent a car, public transport or hired local guides with transport?

All of these are possible; in touristic areas it is easy to rent a car, lots of local guides will offer to include transportation, and buses are cheap and go everywhere.

quote:

I'm now trying to plan something outside of Costa Rica. I was considering Colombia but a bit discouraged by your reports, plus return tickets in December are like $250 - not horrible, certainly, but kind of silly when I'm flying to CR from Europe for less than $500 in the first place. So yeah cheaper but then I'd have to be during a pretty fixed time window and take up the time from something else.

Still, as I'm completely inexperienced with the region, what would make sense around there for a week-10 days or so?
  • Take local transport (buses I guess?) to Nicaragua
  • Same but Panama but personally I only think of it when the Van Halen song comes up or if there's a shipping canal related event in the news
  • Flight to Guatemala, if it's not on fire by that point. I'd be bummed out I won't get to Roatan as was my original plan :mad:
  • Flight to Colombia
  • ???
The options are endless of course but the idea is a short side-trip that won't be a massive pain in the rear end or blow out the budget too much.

I'd stay in the general area around CR. Guatemala and Nicaragua I've heard good things about, though as usual, take care to follow the news a bit. Guatemala also has lots of Maya ruins if you're into that. No idea about Panama, there are supposedly some nice areas but it seems a bit underwhelming compared to the other neighbouring countries.

While I love Colombia, I'm not sure a 10 day stint from CR is worth it: the country is huge and transports are very long. Unless there is one specific area you'd want to stay in for a week (for example the Caribean coast or the Coffee region) I feel your time is better spent in Central America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

The Aguamoose posted:

Yep, you guys are right, Mendoza definitely feels super European. At least aside from the weird financial situation. We had trouble getting hold of any cash, we western union'd money to ourselves but it took us a few days to actually get it because the western unions either had no money to give us, enormous lines or had just plain closed earlier than they were supposed to (perhaps linked to the first point). Here in Mendoza for a few more days and then planning to bus south to Bariloche, cross the border to Puerto Varas and then fly to Puerto Natales for our W trek.

Seems like it got worse since January, there were lines but bearable, and WU usually had cash to give out :(

quote:

Has anyone else been to Valparaiso in Chile? It was great, really pretty and interesting with loads of cool street art. But of all the places we have been on this trip it felt like the one where we most had to stay on our toes. Did anyone else feel that way or was it just a bit unlucky? We definitely had a couple try and rob us while sat outside a bar (they were too drunk/off their face to get very far but the bar staff showed us their wanted photos on the local police Instagram afterwards) and overheard / spoke to a few other people who had either been in cagey situations or been robbed. Including our tours for tips guide who said not to go to an area after dark as he'd been stabbed there twice!

We were there in January, it really is a pretty city but yeah, gotta stay on your toes. Didn't find it to be worse than other cities in Latam, but given its maze of streets and rather compact size there are no real "safe" areas. According to our friends who live there, it used to be wayyy better before the pandemic, inflation, etc. took a toll on it. Lots of blaming of Venezolanos and Colombianos as well :v: