Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molotov Yogurt
Nov 29, 2000

buff man riddim
Has anyone done any diving in Colombia/Ecuador, or gotten open water certified there? I'm looking for a good, cheap place to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molotov Yogurt
Nov 29, 2000

buff man riddim

DustingDuvet posted:

Taganga (15 minutes away from Santa Marta) is the cheapest place to get the PADI in Colombia.

A good company to do it with is http://www.poseidondivecenter.com

Awesome, I'm heading to Bogota on Thursday and want to be up there in a couple weeks. Thanks!

Molotov Yogurt
Nov 29, 2000

buff man riddim
One more question for those who have been there, were there any vaccinations or drugs you needed while down there? I keep reading that some places may require proof of a yellow fever vaccine, but it's easiest to get once there.

Molotov Yogurt
Nov 29, 2000

buff man riddim
Just a word of warning to anyone going to Bogota soon, there have been a lot of muggings the last few weeks in la Candelaria (more than normal) around the hostels. At least half the people Ive talked to recently were mugged at knife or brokenglasspoint, specifically around the Platypus and Hostel Sue, myself included. Choose where youre walking carefully everybody!

Other than that Colombia owns. Im in Cartagena and heading up to Playa Blanca and Taganga in a few days. Anyone else in the area?

Molotov Yogurt
Nov 29, 2000

buff man riddim
Got back from Ciudad Perdida yesterday and it was amazing, but I´m unfortunately cursed with bad travel luck: on the way back down from the departure town, our tour car was stopped by two paramilitaries in ski masks with pistols. They told us to get out of the car, and then after a minute the yelled at us to run down the hill. The six of us and our tour guide quickly left but they told the driver to stay, and as soon as we were around the first corner we heard about 7 shots and we took off running. We ran down for about 10 minutes before we got to within sight of the army checkpoint, at which point they loaded their rifles and sprinted up the road.

More army and police showed up and they later told us that they had killed the driver and pushed our tour car off the cliff. Amazingly enough they were able to recover all our bags which were strapped to the top of it and the only thing that was busted was my Nalgene bottle. Spent most of the night in the police station, but there were some officials from the local government there and they were amazingly helpful and apologetic and put us up in a nice hotel for the night.

I was later told that it wasn´t even the regular driver and he was just doing it as a favour to the owner of the company.

I still love Colombia, but I don´t know how much longer I´m going to stay now :/

EDIT: Oh yeah we got transported to the police station in the back of a covered flatbed truck with the body in the middle leaking blood out the bag.

Molotov Yogurt fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 6, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molotov Yogurt
Nov 29, 2000

buff man riddim
Hey DustingDuvet, I´m back in Bogota now and will be here for a few more weeks while I wait for a new passport; do you know of any good places that offer short term Spanish courses or have a flexible schedules?

Also if anyone was interested here´s a local article of the shooting that I posted about above

quote:

Policía no ha podido establecer los
móviles del crimen de comerciante

Los investigadores de la Sijin y del CTI no han logrado mayores avances en las pesquisas para establecer la identidad de los sicarios que asesinaron al comerciante Daniel Galvis Gómez en una trocha de Machete Pelao, jurisdicción del corregimiento de Guachaca.

De acuerdo con las informaciones entregadas por los organismos de seguridad, Daniel Galvis Gómez a pesar que no trabajaba para la empresa, el colaboraba cuando lo necesitaban para transportar a los turistas.

También se pudo conocer que hacía pocos días había estado en la zona llevando un grupo de turistas y lo hacía constantemente porque conocía muy bien el lugar, por lo que siempre era llamado por la empresa turística.

En cuanto a que los posibles móviles podrían ser la práctica de esa actividad, se pudo establecer que debido al auge que ha tenido dicha empresa y su vertiginoso crecimiento pudo ser la causante de que atentaran contra Galvis Gómez, al creer que laboraba para esa compañía.

Como se informó ayer Daniel Galvis Gómez fue asesinado por dos sujetos encapuchados cuando regresaban de la Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta con un grupo de turistas.

A los turistas los obligaron a bajarse del vehículo y continuar su camino a pie, pero Galvis Gómez fue retenido por los dos homicidas a quien le dispararon en cinco oportunidades, muriendo de manera inmediata.

Las autoridades se percataron de lo ocurrido luego que los turistas les avisaran, por lo que procedieron a ir hasta al punto exacto y se dieron cuenta que Galvis Gómez había sido asesinado.