Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I totally went looking for a "Latin America" thread, and managed to miss this one (I'm guessing Mexico counts for purposes of this thread):

I'm trying to do more travel, and wanted to go somewhere this year, so I asked a friend and he said he'd been wanting to go to Mexico City. I've never spent much time in Mexico (a couple of hours in Juarez is it), but Mexico City sounds great as a destination. I think ten daysish probably sounds about right; we're looking for nice but not luxurious rooms, we both see the room as someplace to sleep and shower in, that we're in Mexico City to do things outside of the hotel, but I would prefer an actual hotel over an AirBnB. We'd like to go during Day of the Dead, neither of us have kids so we don't have to worry about anything family-friendly. We don't mind getting off the beaten path, but I'm not interested in overnight hikes or anything like that (though he may be, and we may split up), but I'm fine to walk a lot (I went to Japan last year and averaged about seven miles a day of walking, much more than 10 and I don't think my fat rear end could handle it, especially if there's a lot of verticality). Prefer to avoid driving if at all possible, would love to ride the trains/buses. We're both very white cis-hetero dudes, I'm in my early 40s he's in his early 30s, no mobility issues. My friend speaks some Spanish, I speak some French and enough Spanish to get stabbed in a bar (I only know the bad words). He is into hiking, and we're both into infrastructure, history, food, and drinks (beer and cocktails, primarily; I will absolutely drink wine, but it's not really something I seek out); no serious dietary restrictions. I love unique liquor; it doesn't have to be good (in fact, while great liquor is my favorite liquor, awful liquor is my second-favorite liquor); if someone distills something from some kind of poisonous cactus or something that tastes like rear end but makes your mouth tingle, I'm 100% in. I did some Googling, and it definitely seems like some of the high points would be to check out Tenochtitlan/The Museo Templo Mayer, National Museum of Anthropology, the National Palace, and maybe Teotihuacan, if it's not too hard to get out there. Plus, it would be great to do at least one tequila distillery tasting/tour, maybe one or more brewery tastings, too. So, lots of questions:

*We're thinking leave late October, come back early November; would it be better to just leave right before the Day of the Dead celebration, and stay after?
*We're flying out of Seattle (SeaTac, specifically); as far as airlines go, Delta and Aeromexico seem pretty competitive; I see very cheap flights from Volaris, but some Googling seems to indicate it's the Spirit Airlines of Mexico; should it be avoided?
*I generally carry a couple hundred bucks in cash on me, along with a credit card, and leave another credit card in the safe at the hotel; is this the best way to go for Mexico, or are there better logistical ways to do it? Anything we should make a point of having/not having with us while we're there?
*For lodging, I'd say we'd like to keep it below $200/night; the place I got in Tokyo based on a Goon recommendation was $90 a night, no frills, but very clean rooms with three beds, that was a block from a substantial subway station; if we could find something like that, that would be ideal; location is more important than amenities, though it would have to be very nice for a very good price if it didn't have internet. The plan is to share a room with two beds to keep costs down. I'd love some specific hotel recommendations if you have them.
*Where are good areas to stay in? Are there any areas that should be avoided?
*I've had all the standard vaccines, plus Typhoid and Hepatitis A; doctor gave me some azithromycin just in case for digestive issues just in case for a trip to Cancun I wound up having to cancel earlier this year, any other health stuff I should be aware of?
*Some of the stuff I've read suggests finding a guide, is there a good way to do that? I found a Tenochtitlan walking tour that looks cool, but it's hard to judge, and just a random site on the internet.
*Food & drink recommendations; we both love trying new stuff, would love some places to drink, and like I said any local distilled liquor or unique beer/wine recommendations would be greatly appreciated. When I went to Japan, about 80% of the time we just went to places that looked decent near where we were, and that worked out excellently. It would be nice to get a couple of recommendations for high-end places to hit up while we're there, too.
*As far as sites go, what's underrated? What's overrated, and should probably be skipped? Is there any place worth day-tripping out to, specifically (definitely thinking of Teotihuacan, here, but also anywhere else)?
*What would be a good way to plan, like, a chill out & relax day in the middle of the trip? We did a ryokan in Nara for a night when I went to Japan, and that was great.
*Anything I'm not asking about here that I should be asking about?

Thank you for the help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
If we're going to someplace relatively centrally-located in Mexico City, what's the best way to get from the airport to the hotel? We're relatively fearless travelers, we both are fine riding trains and buses, and would greatly favor that over a taxi if possible.