Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perturbed Owl
May 6, 2003

Jesus Is A Streaker posted:

I really want to see the Nazca(sp?) lines; how accessible are they from Lima? Is it a possible day trip, or am I going to have an excuse to come to South America again?
It is possible to make them a day trip, but it's expensive because you'd need to fly from Lima... Lonely Planet puts that cost at around $300 (arranged by a tour agency in Lima), though I wouldn't be surprised if it were higher since publication. Otherwise, it's about 8 hours by bus to Nazca.
-
I'm currently in Cuzco. There were huge protests and a strike (paro nacional) today that shut down a lot of stuff, including the railway to Machu Picchu.

I'm on the last part of my trip through Ecuador and Peru and plan to spend the remaining three weeks evenly divided in Cuzco, the Lake Titicaca region (Peru only), and Lima. If anyone has advice for alternative tours or places to visit, I'd be grateful. I'm particularly interested places with a bend toward social justice, independent arts and music, and local cultures. Also, if anyone has any advice on stuff to do during the fiestas patrias in Lima, I would definitely appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perturbed Owl
May 6, 2003

Eucibius posted:

I went with the university to the Tiputini Biodiversity Station in the Amazon and it was absolutely amazing.
The first time I went to the Amazon was through USFQ to the Tiputini station. The second time, though I went to a pretty reputable ecolodge with a great guide, simply couldn't compare. If I ever go back, I'm definitely going to try to go to Tiputini... though I've heard that it's rather difficult and quite expensive if you aren't formally associated with USFQ. Out of curiosity, which home university do you go to?

Perturbed Owl
May 6, 2003

Eucibius posted:

I did it through USFQ as well. The whole thing was a study abroad program at Michigan State University. When did you go to USFQ, and what program were you in to go there?
I was at USFQ during the summer of 2006 with Georgetown's study abroad program. It was a solid program and if anyone has a chance to study abroad at USFQ, I recommend it... it's a pretty nice university and a beautiful campus. On another note, I'm in Lima until Thursday morning, so if any backpacker goons want to hang out, just shoot me a PM and perhaps we can meet up.

Perturbed Owl
May 6, 2003

I'm thinking about going to Brazil to work on my Portuguese over winter break, and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on finding cheap flights to the country from the US (leaving from the DC area). I'm not tied down to any city in particular for my arrival, except for those that people think would be preferable for taking some classes/homestays/private lessons. I should have a decently elementary grasp of the language by then so bus travel wouldn't be a problem either... as long as it's not for, say, three days.

Perturbed Owl
May 6, 2003

Viktor Laszlo posted:

Would anyone happen to know how difficult it is to obtain a SIM card in Ecuador? Preferably as soon as one touches down at the airport in Quito?
It's very easy. I don't know if they sell them at the airport, but you can get one from cell phone shops (big name there is Telefónica/Movistar) in the city. If you don't see one, just ask around and folks should be able to point you in the right direction. When you buy your SIM card, you should also ask about different plans/sales since some have better rates for stuff like international calls, if I recall correctly. You can recharge your minutes with cards that are sold all over.