Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS

Saladman posted:

That's neat, I've spent way too much time making fake plane tickets and hotel bookings for bullshit like that / for visa applications. At least I got good at using Acrobat Pro.

I usually just open an old reservation in the Gmail web interface then edit the HTML as needed and print that out.

My wife is Colombian and we've been going back and forth to Bogota for over a decade now. We almost always fly around on one-ways (because we suck at sticking to plans), and the first few years no one ever asked me for proof of onward journey... but the last couple years they started getting serious about getting my return flight info.

The first time they wouldnt let me check in without proof I bought a Spirit flight from Bogota to LAX while at the ticket counter, then immediately cancelled it for a full refund as soon as I was checked in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS
My wife and I are headed back to SA for a few months. We'll be flying to Lima next week and then up to Colombia late-July(ish).

We both speak Spanish fluently; my wife is Colombian and we previously lived in Bogota for 5 years before coming back to live in the US.

She has plans with a friend at the end of July in Colombia... but I'm gonna skip that part and let them have some girl-time.

So, I have a week at the end of July by myself with no plans or constraints. I'll be in Lima at that point, but can fly just about anywhere within reason... though I'll need to get back to Medellin early August.

Everyone's first response seems to be Maccu Picchu. That sounds like a good idea, but I generally hate the crowds of the most well-known tourist traps. I'm a big fan of ruins though... but having been to quite a few of the big ones, I consistently find the smaller less-known ones to be a better experience. There are tons of other ruins out there, so I kinda get the feeling ill be tired of ruins by the time I get to this week of the trip anyway.

So, thoughts? What are some cool options to go do for a week?

Hibajubwa fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 21, 2023

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS
We’ve made our way up to Huanchaco and are now surfing the days away. Its a nice little town and the wave at the pier is great for our nonexistent skill level.

We stopped in Huaraz for about a week. Hiked up the Churup trail. It was rough… lol. That was my first time hiking above 14k ft, and man can you feel it. Then we got got by something we ate and spent 2 days sick in our apartment.

We’re probably gonna spend another week or so here surfing and chilling. Then my wife flys up to Cartagena for her girl’s trip and I’m left to my own devices…

I’m thinking about flying over to Iquitos and taking the slow boat down the Amazon to Leticia. From there I can catch a flight up to Medellín and meet back up with the wife. 3 days on a terrible ferry in the jungle is somehow appealing to me.

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I have a friend who did this and took it all the way to brazilian coast. It wasn't a good time lol
I imagine the extra days all the way to the coast takes this from “an experience” to “oh god why”. The bathrooms in the videos I’ve watched are… not good. I basically plan to just not shower for 3 days.

Chikimiki posted:

I did that last year from Leticia to Iquitos. It was an interesting experience, I would do it again in a heartbeat but it's definitely not for everybody.
You get to see the local life along the Amazon river, beautiful sunsets, lots of jungle... But on the other hand you spend several nights in a hammock, close to dozens of other people, the food is terrible (though there are snack vendors) and don't get me started on the bathrooms lol

If you have any questions about it shoot!

Haha, the bathrooms! I’m just assuming that I’m gonna smell incredibly ripe when I get off the boat, because showering seems non-viable based on the videos I’ve watched.

My wife is currently vacillating between being horrified at the idea, and deeply amused by it. She’s pretty happy to not have to go either way, so it works out.
We’ve spent time in Leticia and Puerto Nariño previously, so its not a total unknown to me/us… the last trip was a mosquito laden sweaty adventure that my wife hasn’t been particularly eager to repeat.

That last trip ended with us being the worst smelling I think we’ve ever been. We landed in Bogotá where my MIL and a cousin picked us up for a 2-hour car ride out to a family trip at a ranch-house outside the city. That was my first real introduction to my wife’s mom… lol.

Anyway, I fly to Iquitos on Tuesday the 25th and then I get to figure it out from there. I fly out of Leticia on the 31st which should give me plenty of time to do the boat trip and then take a decent shower in Leticia.

One current question is: should I take my laptop? Or should I send it with my wife?
I need it for work, and I’d like to have it for those non-boat days in between. I won’t see my wife again until the 2nd, so there are 3-4 days of work I could do while in Leticia/Medellín. My wife thinks its gonna get stolen on the boat, or that the risk of such isn’t worth those work days.

Thoughts?

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS
I ended up taking the 1-night ferry instead of the slow boat. I went to the slow boat port in Iquitos and checked everything out, then did the same at the ferry port… and maybe I’m just an old spoiled gringo now, but after I saw both the decision was immediately clear.

The ferry ride was pretty great overall. Pretty comfortable with a nice deck out back to hang out and watch the forest pass by. Sunset and sunrise were amazingly beautiful and the night sky was completely clear so the stars and milky way were incredible.

The ferry company has some really lame rules that they adhere to strictly. Laughably so sometimes. I arrived to the port at 1:58pm and they told me the gate opens at 2pm. They made me stand outside the gate for those 2 minutes, which I found hilarious. Then at night on the boat they don’t allow you to be outside on the deck after 8pm for “security”. But the bathrooms were outside, and the stars were amazing, so I just happened to have to pee a lot all night.

I felt bad for the guy that constantly had to yell at me to go inside… but that rule sucks, leave me alone. Totally not his fault so I was always as nice to him as possible.

Apparently the other boat from the same company didn’t have that rule (and sold beer?). A Spanish girl on board was showing us pics of her boyfriend’s trip a week previous on the other boat wherein they were on the deck all night having a great time. Maybe its just luck of the draw with the captain or security officer or something, who knows.

I would definitely do it again though. Such a beautiful trip.

Exiting Peru was a nightmare. Their whole immigration system was down, so we ended up having to get a stamp from the police, which required them to send our info back to Iquitos (via Whatsapp, lol) to check our status. Once cleared they stamped our form which we took back to the immigration guy who was taking photos of each passport to do the process later, then just stamping our passport and letting us go. I was the third person to reach the office from the boat and the process took over 2 hours. Did I mention its loving hot and humid in Santa Rosa? Lol. The Peruvians were very unhappy about this, to the point of getting in actual fights with each other in the little immigration office. Not with the immigration officers, but with each other. Good times.

Now I’m finally in Colombia. I love Colombia, especially after 5 weeks in Peru. But I’m very biased, my wife is from Bogotá and I lived here for 5 years previously… so it feels a bit like home.

A couple more days doing random jungle stuff, then I’m off to meet the wife and friends in Medellin. I can’t wait to eat bandeja paisas every day there.

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS

Thesaurus posted:

Badass. How were the mosquitos?

Nearly non-existent. It was a bit crazy. I didn't have any bites until the last day down there.

Last time I went a few years back there were black buzzing clouds of those bastards. We bathed ourselves in repellent and still got hammered on all day everyday.

It also didn't rain a single time on me during my whole week in the Jungle. From Iquitos to Leticia, not a drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS

Hadlock posted:

Super duper gently caress all these atms that won't let you pull out like, $400usd at a time

Look for Servibanca or Davivienda ATMs, they often have higher withdrawal limits than the international bank ATMs.