Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

Every King needs his jester
Planning a trip for a couple months this summer, just sketching out the raw stuff right now.

I'm planning on flying into Bogota because it's dirt cheap and direct from here, but anyone have a suggestion for where to fly out of from more southern South America for cheapish? To Orlando, if that matters.

I've been trying to find something like Kayak's Buzz, but in reverse, to no avail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

Has anyone gone to/from Lima to/from Cusco through the more northern route via Huancavelica and Ayacucho and whatnot?

I'm planning on taking the bus the normal route via Arequipa with various stops either to or from Cusco, but I'm trying to decide if I want to fly the other leg, or take that other bus route. Opinions I see on other forums have a lot more to do with a straight overnight 24 hourish bus ride via the northern route, which I'm not interested in.

Basically, how feasible is this route, and how cool are the places it passes through? Time isn't much of a concern, I could spend up to a week or so doing that route if it's worth it.

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

Just booked my flight from Orlando to Lima on 5/21 and back from Bogota to Orlando on 7/24, via Miami both times. I'm psyched.

The tickets were crazy cheap too, $415 total. I spent nearly as much just to fly out to Colorado.

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

The same reason that everyone in the United States has the same misconceptions about it.

I would (and am going to) go to Bogota well before I would go to a number of places in Brazil for that matter.

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

Chillin in Lima right now, pretty cool city. Went like 6 hours yesterday without seeing any other tourists downtown. Still not entirely sure where I'm going tomorrow, but I'll figure it out.

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

I'm sure you COULD find a flight, it would just probably be pretty expensive. Everything else is crazy cheap here, but flights still seem to be somewhat expensive priced.

I've been in Lima since Thursday night, heading out somewhere tomorrow. Thinking either Ayacucho or Huacahina, I've got like a week to kill before I get to Cuzco. Should be in Peru for another month or so probably, somewhere.

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

ja raul posted:

Are there any goons in western South America right now? I'll be arriving in Lima on July 20th and have no concrete plans outside of eventually seeing Macchu Picchu and Iquitos.

Not anymore, but you'll end up finding that most people down there end up going down to Huacachina and Nasca, and then either south to Arequipa, Puno, Cusco, and back to Lima, or do the reverse, roughly. To get to Iquitos you need to fly there probably from Lima, but there are lots of other jungle areas, including some near Cusco, which are a lot more accessible.

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

A week is a drat long time to be in Lima. I wouldn't recommend more than like 3 days there, max. Could probably head down to Huacachina and Nazca for a few days, they aren't that far away and are also only good for short periods of time.

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

Ecuador is a nice place. I didn't do the Galapagos because of cost, but everyone else who has said it's great. Just kind of expensive, like $700 for a week or something.

Apart from that, Quito, Banos, Guayaquil, Cuenca and some other places should be enough to keep you busy for 3 weeks, especially with the Galapagos trip.

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

CatchrNdRy posted:

How would you compare Ecuador to Peru (my second choice, do they treat Asians sort of differently given their history)?

I liked Peru way more than I did Ecuador. Probably more touristy, but just way more interesting things there.

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

That's cramming a lot of wide ranging areas into 6 weeks.

Have you booked the Inca Trail yet? If not you'll have to do one of the alternative treks, which are still fine.

Colombia is great. Loved Bogota and Cali, though I hope you like salsa if you want nightlife.

Bogota is kind of far from Lima, as in like 60 hours on a bus, so definitely would want to fly there.

Huacachina isn't that great. Only worthwhile thing is the dunebuggying and sandboarding, which is only worth really staying a night or so there. It's around 6 hours or so if I remember right from Lima, which if you aren't making a through trip down the coast, it doesn't make that much sense. Granted, you could continue down to Nasca and then take a bus over to Cusco from there.

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

dave diggler posted:

Just booked all my flights to south america :) one section of my trip I will be in Columbia for around 3 weeks, visiting Bogota, Medellin and Cartegena for a week each. The plan is to take a bus between the three cities, starting in Bogota and finishing in Cartegena. Can you sort these busses out through your hostels? Or just track down some tourist information type thing?

Also Im after some advice as far as hostels go in these places. Im interested in staying at the party/social hostels that are close to it all.. When my mate went to Bogota he stayed at DN Hostel which he says was good but abit far from zona rosa, which is a good party spot. Lonley Planet suggests Platypus so at the moment its a toss up between the two. For Medellin Casa Kiwi looks the goods... anyone been there or have some suggestions? For Cartegena Im looking at staying at either Media Luna Art Hostel which was recommended on here, or somewhere from the LP guide...

Buses: hostels will probably have recommendations on particular lines they like, and may or may not be able to grab you a ticket. Otherwise roll up to the bus station and buy one yourself.

Could also look into taking domestic flights as well. I think it cost me like $80 to fly from Cali to Bogota booked the day before the flight because I didn't really feel like another 18 hours or whatever on a bus.

Hostels: One of the best hostels I've ever been at was Crazy Croc or whatever in Bogota. Drank heavily with a bunch of people every night I was there, tons of fun. Taxis are cheap as hell too, so no worries really if you aren't right in the zona rosa or anything.

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

Anyone who voluntarily goes after a 6'4 280 pound man is loving retarded when there are plenty of scrawny guys (me) and single girls traveling down there. Realistically though, crime isn't that huge of a problem there. I know people who have been robbed down there, but I can only think of one guy who got injured in any way, and that's just because he was drunk, got punched during a robbery, and fell down. Your family's fear is overblown by far. Medellin of today is not Medellin of the 80s. That said, Bogota and Cali were still some of the sketchier places that I traveled, but overall, it isn't that bad.

With your budget, you might want to cut down your plans a bit. $2500 could be quite tight for doing Inca trail or Galapagos. You also need to pay for a visa to go to Bolivia which can cut down on the cost effectiveness. Lake Titicaca is on the Peru/Bolivia border, so you can still see that as well. For being a budget, Peru, Ecuador and Colombia and probably your best bets though; Argentina or Chile are more expensive.

Peru is definitely my favorite of the three countries though. It's really easy to travel around there as well. Taking a loop from Lima, down to Huacachina (the oasis place,) and then over to Cusco (and Machu Picchu, whether on the Inca trail or not,) and then down to Puno (on Lake Titicaca,) and then onwards to Bolivia or back up to Arequipa or Lima is very easy. I never made it to the Amazon, but you can get to there from Cusco, or from some of the places in Ecuador.

Hostels are great, and very very easy to meet people in. I was solo down there for a couple months, and made friends in probably 9/10 hostels. There are always people willing to go out for 50 cent beers and have fun. Structure stuff roughly, as in have an idea of what you want to do in an overarching plan just so you don't have to rush to see something you really want to see, but leave the day to day details up in the air. Always nice to be able to stay someplace a couple extra days, or to get the gently caress out of town when it sucks.

Most of the buses are safe, the worst that will happen is theft. Don't be stupid with your bag and you won't have a problem. Sometimes the buses crash off of mountains but mostly they're just scary as poo poo with no ill consequence. You might be a target of some kind with a backpack, but eh, not a big deal.

As for the Inca trail, I went with Perutreks, had a great time, and so did other people I met who went with them. Looks like it's $465 for this year, all inclusive. The food was sooooo good too.

Hope some of this helps.

edit: also, get an ISIC card, it saved more than it cost just for the Inca trail. And no, it doesn't really matter if you aren't a student anymore, they're very lax giving them out.

kalicki fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 3, 2010

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

Ana Lucia Cortez posted:

My boyfriend and I are planning on taking a trip to central/south America next year once our lease is up. We want to stay at least six months, perhaps even a year. How safe/practical would it be to drive our own car the whole way?

We live in BC so we'd drive down the west coast. We'll likely spend a lot of time in Honduras because my boyfriend has lots of family there. We're not sure what the rest of the itinerary will be, but we want to visit Buenos Aires and Santiago so we'll be going pretty far south.

Is it possible to make the entire journey on road with relative ease? We drive a new Hyundai Elantra, not exactly a Land Rover or anything, and we want to avoid windy mountain death roads if at all possible. And should I fear our car getting stolen or broken into?

I just want to get a general feel for whether or not this would be a good idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dari%C3%A9n_Gap

Also, I'm terrified enough being in a car or bus driven by someone who knows what they're doing in South America, no way in hell would I want to drive there myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

Ruins and hikes are pretty much all there are in northern Peru.

Huaraz has some of the best hiking in the country, Trujillo and Chiclayo have some ruins, etc.