Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ja raul
Mar 19, 2004
-ja raul
Im in the very early stages of planning a rough itenerary of 2 month trip of Peru & Brasil starting June 2009. Im looking for recommendations of small towns to visit either in Peru or Brazil. My rough itenerary sort of takes me around the 2 countries in an n/upside down J shape: Arrive in Lima - Ica - Ayacucho - Cusco - back to Lima - then up to Iquitos (this will take appx 3 weeks, looking for more smaller towns to visit in between). From Iquitos I plan to take a boat to Manaus as this would be the path of least resistance.

From Manaus Im not sure if I would be sick of travelling by boat enough to make flight arrangements to Fortaleza or Just stick it out to Belem. But pretty much once I reach the coast of Brazil Ill be travelling down to Sao Paulo while making a few stops at the must see cities like Recife, salvador, Porto Seguro, and Rio. If money/time permits then I should be able to make it to either Brasilia or Florianopolis. Again, im looking for recommendations of small towns to check out, whether it be for beautiful views or just something unique to that location that one would recommend a 'must see'.

I'll be travelling alone if it makes any difference - im aware some cities are especially romantic and suited towards a couple, im mainly going to relax on the beaches and get a tan and practice my spanish/portuguese, preferably without getting robbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ja raul
Mar 19, 2004
-ja raul
Well, looks like I'll be going to Peru for all of August, if my work gives me clearance for more time off then I'll plan to visit Chile and Ecuador as well. Mainly I'll be visiting family in Lima for a week or so then I'll be visiting Cuzco and Iquitos to just adventure around, time to get fit!

ja raul
Mar 19, 2004
-ja raul
Ok, now I have some official dates set for my trip, as well as a lot of questions on what to do in between. I basically have 6 weeks starting mid July - Aug 30. My rough plan right now is to land in Lima and spend a day or two there then fly up to Iquitos for at least a few days to see some jungle and try some local medicinal practices. Then I would head back to Lima and spend a few more (3-5 days) seeing some local sights and visiting family that I havent seen in many years, or havent met before. I would then take a plane to Cuzco and do the whole macchu picchu thing, and from here I would LIKE to continue my journey to Arequipa - then Santiago, Chile, and maybe head over to Mendoza, Argentina.

A few questions about my tentative plans:
1. Has anyone travelled by train/bus from Cuzco - Arequipa - chile/argentina, and is it safe?
2. When making plans for small flights such as Lima - Iquitos or Lima - Cuzco, should one book flights months ahead of time or can it be done the day of with no major price hike?
3. Generally speaking, what is the type of tourist that backpacks around South America? Ive been backpacking around Europe a couple of times and it seems it was 18-25 year old people from either Australia or other parts of Europe.

Other then that I wouldnt mind hearing some places to visit in between these points, I mainly just want to go to Mendoza because its so close to Santiago, and so I can get another stamp on the passport.

ja raul
Mar 19, 2004
-ja raul
Thanks, alright a few more general travel questions.

Im bringing a few electronics with me such as, mp3 player, flip mino HD camera, netbook and some sd cards/thumbdrives for storage. Will using any of these devices in areas of high humidity be an issue? (Iquitos). Does anyone know the average speed of internet in each country? I know its going to be different city to city or even country to country, but I'd like to know if generally theyre alot slower then what im used to... 15mb down/1mb up, not a huge concern and I know im going to ask this for each hostel I stay at but I'd like to know if I should bother trying to upload things in certain areas before I get there.

As well, for a 6 week trip, is it advised to get a cell phone as well? budget isnt my main concern, im just curious about the practicality of getting one for the trip.

Seriously? No horror stories? Maybe I'm reading too many guides on the internet telling me to be wary of corrupt cops or looters that will stop your bus on an overnight trip.

ja raul
Mar 19, 2004
-ja raul

kalicki posted:

Chillin in Lima right now, pretty cool city. Went like 6 hours yesterday without seeing any other tourists downtown. Still not entirely sure where I'm going tomorrow, but I'll figure it out.

Do you know if finding a flight to Santiago (Chile), or Cordoba (Argentina) is easy to get with little to no notice? I know theres daily flights to places like Cuzco and Iquitos where you dont have to book ahead, which is something I would like to do as well to those other locations when I head down to Peru in July.

How long are you planning on staying in Lima, or Peru?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ja raul
Mar 19, 2004
-ja raul
Are there any goons in western South America right now? I'll be arriving in Lima on July 20th and have no concrete plans outside of eventually seeing Macchu Picchu and Iquitos.