Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Bumping this here thread.

I'll be coming from Australia or New Zealand to South America.

What do you think is a good major hub that will be fairly reasonable in price?

South/Central America will be the latter part of my 5 month trip as I make it home to California. (Might even visit Portland or Washington on the way back)

At any rate. I'm going to have 3-4 weeks for the area. I have some family in Mexico and I've heard nothing but good things about Mexico south from the border.

At first I was thinking Brazil but the visa issue is quite a pain.

I figure aside from Mexico I'll have time for 2-3 countries. And I'm pretty much open to any advice or input on which to choose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Cross posting this from my thread here

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3166133&pagenumber=2#lastpost

So can you guys help me figure this out. These are my plans.

Right now I am in Florianopolis. I am considering going to Porto Alegre but not 100% sure.

I am thinking I will bus it to the Iguaza Falls on the Argentinian side and stay in a hostel there for a couple of nights.

Then bus or fly into Buenos Aires.

From there I will fly to Sao Paulo, hit Paraty, Ilha Grande, on my way back to Rio. Staying 2 to 4 nights in each place.

I always have a place to stay in Rio with my friend. I am still waiting to hear from the volunteer organization there. Which I want to do for about 3 to 4 weeks. Ultimately time is not much of a constraint.

I also want to do the whole Manaus and Amazon thing. Not sure though since I do not have my yellow fever papers on me. Nor am I really much prepared luggage wise.

I also want to go to Salvador but it is a bit out of the way. It seems my best bet for this is to get a RT flight from Rio for this.

I would also like to visit Fordlandia. The place just outside of the city Santarem

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fordl%C3%A2ndia

Thanks!

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 21, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

DustingDuvet posted:

Update please! Let me live through you while I am stuck in North America for the next 3 months.

Heh. Went to Iguazu Falls from Flora on the Argentinian side. Then to Buenos Aires. There is a lot of other places I could have gone but I want to get back to Rio to settle in one spot and start my volunteering. I also did 2 nights in Colonia, Uruguay, from BA.

I took a flight to Sao Paulo which connected in Montevideo. Which I wish I stayed at. It was quite a bit cheaper than flying to Rio so I figured I would head this way. I am going to bus it back to Rio.

I want to go to Paraty and Ilha grande but everything there is centered around good weather. Which it does not seem to have anytime soon. Flora was cool when I went but the weather sucked so it kind of took out a lot of fun.

So yeah. Back to Rio probably by this weekend.

tektronic posted:

Still reading through this thread but how safe is Columbia? Would a 22 year old white solo backpacker be reasonably safe?

From what I have gathered from a lot of travelers is that it is a lot safer than you would think and the neighboring SA countries are probably much worst. A lot of people told me it was their favorite destination

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not going to bother reading a lot of this since I can't travel anymore and it's depressing :(

But if you have any questions about my travels to Brazil (Rio, Florianópolis, and Sao Paulo, Uruguay (Colonia), or Argentina (Puerto Iguazu - Iguazu Falls, Buenos Aires) I'll be glad to throw in my experiences.

I stayed in Rio for 2 months living in Copacabana and volunteered at the favela Rocinha for a bit and trained Jiu Jitsu.

Here's the thread I made

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3226525&pagenumber=1#pti20

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 23, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Uruguay is awesome and definently worth the visit. I was very impressed by the place. It's a bit colder than the nearby countries I found, though. Depending on the time of the year that won't matter. Plus it's small.