Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Adnar posted:

More or less on a whim I today booked a ticket to Brazil for a month.

Feb 3rd Sydney -> Rio De Janiero 27 hours!

Feb 19th -> 26th I managed to get some (crazy expensive) Hostel accommodation during Carnival.

March 2nd Sao Paulo -> Buenos Aires
March 9th BA -> Sydney

So I'm looking at filling in time between the 4th and the 19th and making my own way to Sao Paulo by the 2nd. Any thoughts? I would be wanting to travel mainly in the southern area basing myself in RDJ. I know this isn't much but I plan on going back later in the year for a proper amount of time.

That's really awesome. The city itself is amazing, you could probably spend your entire visit here. But if you want to step out, there is Angra dos Reis, which is to the west (with fairly easy bus access from Rio). It's got amazing beaches. From there, you can take a ferry to Ilha Grande, which has some nature preserves and more awesome beaches. You could bus inland to Minas Gerias for nature/historical buildings, or south to Santa Catarina for more beaches. Further south there's Iguazu falls, further inland you get to Mato Grosso and the Pantanal. But you'd probably want a longer trip todo those things. Don't know anything about the north of Brazil.

Savahontas posted:

Do you all have any advice about Amazonian cities?

Manaus is, from what I've heard, filled with child prostitutes. Since you're all women, you might not have to face it. But it sure as hell would ruin any chance of me enjoying my stay there. To be fair however, there are social issues almost anywhere you go in South America, so perhaps it's best not to take that into consideration.

You might look into visiting the Pantanal if you're going to be in Brazil, it's supposed to be amazing. And from there you could go south to Iguazu falls, which are supposed to be some of the best in the world (and from there go into Argentina).

Edit:
What's the appeal of favela tours? It's a slum. A slum created by a myriad of social issues, and ruled by fear and greed by very violent men.

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 19, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

DustingDuvet posted:

Because you are a tourist and are traveling to see/experience things that are different. It's interesting to see how a huge population of Carioca's live and its much different than the slums you would see most other places in the world.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa...tBody;col1

Article didn't work since I took too long to notice your reply. The real problem I have with it is that well, the money you're paying is going to someone. And it's probably not someone who should be getting your money. I mean, it kinda bugs me that you're going to gawk at other peple's mysery, but there is something to be said about raising awareness. But giving the drug dealers that run those places more money to play with does bother since you're not the one who has to deal with the consequences. Does that make sense? I'm not trying to be antagonistic, and if I'm way off about who ends up getting paid for those tours, then I apologize.

From what I understand, the tours are actually really safe, since they don't want to lose their income.