Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

DustingDuvet posted:

You can definitely do that for under $1000 in any country in South America besides maybe Brazil or Chile.

Here are some rough costs for Bogota:

1.$300-$450
2. $1.50-$6
3.$5-$10/hour or probably more if you decide to study at a university

I did Chile for under $1,000 a month. Rent was like $250 a month and my play money was like $450 and I was playing 4 days a week, but yeah, Brazil and Chile are both pretty expensive (by S.American standards).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
Has anyone who has been to Argentina recently been able to take more than $300 pesos out of an ATM?

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

hecko posted:

Really? I can take out up to $1000 but I set the limit to $300 just in case.

DustingDuvet posted:

I am currently in Buenos Aires using a Visa debit card on the plus/star networks and am able to take out a maximum of 600 pesos.

My home bank must hate me. :(

(or all the ATMs I've used did...BBVA, Banco de la Cuidad and HSBC)

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

hecko posted:

my card used to be limited to something like 500 per day but you can change the limit via the ATM or the bank's webpage.
There's a little trick that people did when el corralito was arround: take out the max amount, change password, go to another ATM , repeat.

I have no problem getting $300 out multiple times, it just costs me USD$1.50 to do so. I'm mainly trying to avoid the fees.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Adnar posted:

or a home stay? I've heard that this is by far the best way to learn immersion learning.

If you can find a good one, try a university residence or a student residence. It's kind of hit or miss though. I've been in one where it was Spanish all the time and there were a bunch of kids my age and we had a lot of fun. Another time it was like 60/40 latin americans/gringos and while plenty of good times were had, there was not as much Spanish speaking.

Regardless, I was able to meet a whole lot of people who spoke Spanish and it's really easy to make friends.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Triiarii posted:

I'm moving to Buenos Aires after this summer and I'd love to hear someone explain what it's like living there.
I've read a lot of things about the city and the surrounding area but things tend to get much more interesting/personal (obviously) when someone casually writes about it.

Along with DD, I too spent the last semester in BsAs (DD, sorry I kind of sketched out at Asia de Cuba)

The city is great. The subway (for me at least) didn't take me anywhere I wanted to go. Buses go everywhere, but you have to be willing to figure them out/bring along your bus guide ($7 pesos at any newspaper kiosk). I ended up taking taxis a lot because if you can share them, it ends up being really cheap.

Day to day life is cool. There are tons of things to do when you have free time. The night life doesn't start till really late (don't even think of going to a club before 1).

Will you be working or studying?

The city is pretty chill, I never really felt that I was just one of 15 million. The accent was kind of annoying. It ended up being a lot more expensive than I thought/than it was 3 years ago. It's still cheap, but not like it was/there has been a lot of inflation.

The nightlife is great, I could probably write a really long post about that if you'd like.

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Aug 6, 2015

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
I didn't go to that many bars, but they're the only place you'll have any luck with drinking before 1am. As for bars, here you go:

The Alamo, Santa Fe and Uruguay, kind of a gringo bar, but they have huge rear end beers for cheap and you can play beer pong if that's your thing. A couple of other bars in that area are Shamrock, which has a decent "disco" downstairs if it's 3am on a Wednesday or something but you still want to dance. The Spot, Arenales y Ayacucho, also a bit of a gringo bar, but is good, has a ladies night, 2 for 1. I was able to get pretty decent pot here too. La Burgesa was near Pueyrredon, wasn't bad, but didn't spend a lot of time there. It's more a boliche than bar though.

Jobs Arenales and Agüero. Really good to go to for some beers with friends. Not really a gringo bar, so it's cool. Check it out.

In Palermo, Sugar has a good happy hour (2 for 1 until midnight, so that's like $5 pesos a beer, which is pretty good).

I realize most of the bars I know are gringo bars, but I honestly didn't go to too many in general.

Boliches:

Goa/La France Sarmiento y Callao (well, close enough). Thursdays you can get in for cheap if it's your birthday. Doesn't matter, because poo poo is stupid cheap inside. Beer for $3 pesos, mixed drinks for like $10. The music is ok, I felt like everyone was young though (18 or so). Right next door, Maluca Beleza is a decent Brazilian club. Downstairs Brazilian music, upstairs techno/whatever.

Pachá Need I say more? $65 to get in if you didn't know of someone, had some sort of special deal to get in before 2.30. They have a lot of good DJs stop by so I'd save it for then/Saturday is "the day" to go. It's really awesome.

Jet Don't know much about it, never went, but it's near Pachá on the Costanera Norte. Maybe worth checking out.

Kika good times. Just off of Plaza Serrano. Good mix of music, check it out. Have a party on Tuesday nights worth checking out.

Bahrein is in the microcentro, check it out Tuesday nights for drum n' bass. Never went other than a Tuesday, but the rest of it looked badass.

Madarine (something like that?) near...gently caress, I know where it is, but couldn't tell you how to get there, it's near Bosque Palermo? Def. near the water. Had a great time when I went. Would reccomend again. A++

Niceto Club 69 on Thursdays is awesome/a little weird, but in general it's a lot of fun, even if it's not Club 69 night.

Crobar by far my favorite club in BsAs. Never paid more than $40 to get in (if I had to pay at all) and the music was generally great. Sometimes they have a reggaeton room too. Only complaint is that is can be a bit crowded.

Amerika Big gay club. $50 pesos all you can drink. Went here once, had a great time (I had smoked beforehand, so that might have helped). If you're not gay, it's still cool, just go with a group and take advantage of the barra libre.

Hummer, supposed to be cool, never made it, heard mixed reviews.

Asia de Cuba...eh. It's ok. Nothing great. The drinks are pretty expensive though, even if admission is free.

Please stay away from Plaza Serrano. There are plenty of great bars and whatnot just a couple of blocks from it. Nothing but gringos and horrible discos. The bars there aren't even that good.

Never really went out in Recoleta (well, one Sunday night at Sahara...which was ok).

San Telmo is a barrio I never got to know as well as I'd like. Wednesdays, Museo is your best bet of pretty much any neighborhood. 3 stories, lots of iron, just regular music/a mix. Gets started "early" You might need to wear a collared shirt.

I'll think about this some more.

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 31, 2009

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Thurlow posted:

Hey Scrillz, could you talk a little about where you took classes? Prices, quality, etc. Also, how did you go about finding housing? Any good websites or anything?

I went with ISEP and did an exchange at the Universidad del Salvador, so I didn't take any private Spanish classes or anything like that, just literature and lingustics classes. Likewise my housing was taken care of through the exchange (I had the option of a student residence or a homestay).

I knew a couple of people who got a single at a hostel and it was pretty cheap.

Dusting Duvet might know of some sites though, he had to find his own housing.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

DustingDuvet posted:

I paid $650 r/t from Bogota to Buenos Aires last year...and don't forget there is a tourist visa fee now :(

Nuts.

They finally implemented that? I didn't think they were actually going to.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Absolute Zero posted:

Chile has the fee now too ($131 USD for US Citizen). Just paid it two weeks ago when I got here

Not that this is really a great place to go on vacation right now...just FYI. It'll be fine in a couple months though.

It's been like that for years. You also only have to pay if you enter the country by air (ie - if you come to Chile from Mendoza or wherever on a bus you don't have to pay).

Too Fresh posted:

How much time would you guys recommend allowing for Chile given the recent earthquake? Is it the sort of thing where I'll be best to just move on to the next country ASAP, or is it worth spending a few days - a week (or longer) in Chile. Obviously it's impossible to predict how quickly they'll recover, but a rough idea would be useful. Planning on spending 4-5 months or so going around South America total, so time isn't really a huge issue.. May post asking for advice on different countries as well once I get a better idea of where I'm going!

Cheers

As I understand it, you'll be fine in Chile if you stick to Santiago/the Northern part (obviously you shouldn't go to Concepción) but I could be wrong as I'm not currently there.

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 8, 2010

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Datajack Franit posted:

:words: about BsAs and hospitality

DustingDuvet posted:

A nice thing to do would be to take them out to a nice restaurant in Buenos Aires instead.

This.

Also, do you realize how much it would cost to go all of these places? If you wanted to take three people on a trip to anywhere you've listed, you might as well just pay for a nice hotel in BsAs and spend less money/not worry about having to be nice.

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 8, 2010

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Too Fresh posted:

Alright, I'm not 100% sure on how much time to spend in each country, but I'm thinking of the following:
(having a look at things to do in each country/cost of living etc - spending less time in Brazil/Argentina as they are more expensive..)

Chile 14 days
Bolivia 21 days
Brazil 14 days
Colombia 30 days
Ecuador 30 days
Peru 21 days
Argentina 14 days

I'd probably do this totally reverse, spending 20-30 days in places like Argentina and Brazil (was going to say Chile, but unless you want to do Arica to Punta Arenas, two weeks should be enough), but I suppose it depends on what you want to see and you're right, they're going to be more expensive than Bolivia, Ecuador and Peru. Then again I haven't gone to Colombia/Ecuador/Northern Peru, but they're supposed to be nice as well, so it might just be a personal taste thing.

DD's advice is pretty good on how to figure it out.

Too Fresh posted:

Another question (apologies, my first big trip away by myself and just trying to figure everything out!): Sleep sacks/sleeping bag liners/sewn up sheets etc - necessary/useful at Hostels in South America/rest of the world? I've seen conflicting information, some websites swear that every hostel will require you to have your own or they will kick you out and ban you for life, others say that you are a moron if you pay for one as hostels will give you sheets for free. Any thoughts on this topic? Would these potentially be useful while travelling anyway etc? buy them home or while you are away?

In all my travels in South America and Europe, I've never once stayed at a hostel that didn't provide me with sheets. Usually, at the very worst, they charge you a nominal fee ($1-4 to rent sheets and/or a towel). I guess I've either been lucky or just haven't ever stayed at a really cheap hostel.

I would say don't worry about them, they'll just take up space in your pack and if you ever find a hostel that makes you have your own, I'd imagine there is another hostel/hotel (in S. America you can get a hotel in some places for about the same price as a hostel, though go the hostel route if you're traveling solo if only to meet people) a block or two away that has them for free.

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 9, 2010

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Any thoughts on just getting an account with HSBC and loading up that account with your travel money? HSBC seems pretty invested in the South American market and I never had any trouble finding an HSBC ATM. In theory you should get better forex rates and have the ATM fee waived.

I must be lucky as poo poo. My local bank charges me $1.50 for non-them ATM withdrawls and they don't charge me a X% converstion fee and I never paid a local ATM fee (Is that new? I was last there July 2009). My only problem in Argentina was that you could only take out $300 pesos at a time. (My local bank was cheaper than using my HSBC account because even if they wave the ATM fee, it's still 9 pesos you lose on the conversion fee).

So yes, lots of HSBCs in S. America, but you'll be paying a lot extra in currency conversion fees. It would be better to find a better US bank if possible.

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 14, 2010

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

barbudo posted:

What do you guys think of Sao Paolo? Namely, living in Sao Paolo and going to school at USP? One of my professors can set up a foreign exchange for me if I so choose.

I know it's a big intimidating city and most people there don't speak English, but there are some mitigating factors for me in particular. I'll be a pretty solid Portuguese speaker by then and my professor has some close friends in the city.

I spent two weeks in Săo Paulo a few years ago and really liked it. My girlfriend at the time was doing a semester at PUC and we had a great time when I visited (and she had a good time the 7 months she was there too). It's a huge city and it would take forever to get places sometimes (it took her like 2 hours to get to school in the mornings).

It's not as romantic or whatever as Rio and I'm not sure why you would go there for tourism, but I think it's a good city to spend a long time in/live in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
I'm going to Cancun on Feb. 7th for a wedding and am arriving a week early to do some travelling beforehand. We were going to rent a car, go and spend a day or two at Chichén Itzá, then drive to Tulum, spend a few days there and then head to Playa del Carmen for the wedding (plan to arrive on Friday, Feb. 13th).

We want to see some Mayan ruins, visit some cenotes and spend some time on the beach. Is there anything I'm missing that we should try and do/see?