Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KosherNostra
Jan 1, 2005

WHERE DA PIRATES AT?
Hey DustingDuvet, I helped you with your resume awhile back, I think. Keep the pictures coming! I hope to make it to Colombia soon. You still planning on working in South America?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KosherNostra
Jan 1, 2005

WHERE DA PIRATES AT?

cranberry juice posted:

How would I fare in a country like Peru with limited Spanish? I am open to studying spanish before going, don't get me wrong there, but I'm just curious about what you guys have to say.

You people need to realize these are countries, large ones, and as such you can't just say "Peru" and ask such a general question. That's like me asking if I can get by in the U.S. with limited english. Maybe in Little Havana, but probably not as much in Topeka, Kansas. Right?

If you're going to Cusco, where there is a large tourism industry, then you can get by with limited english. In Lima, depends, but you could probably get by. Most middle-class and up tend to learn at least another language, usually english. However, if you're in Trujillo or Piura, it might be harder.

Kaiser Bill posted:

What's the best way to travel cross-country through SA? I mean really cross country...like from Rio to Cuzco, for example, which would take you through some serious wilderness...to say the least. Is this even possible by road (or rail)?

Yes, we luckily have roads now. Who would have thought?!?! You can find trains every now and then, but your best option is just going via bus. From Rio you could go to São Paulo->Cataratas del Iguazú, the falls-->Buenos Aires, and from there you have a number of option. You could go through more of Argentina then Chile(Mendoza then into Valparaíso, Chile) or more of Argentina then Bolivia, then crossing into Perú. Lots of ways to do it. I'm not saying you can only stop in those cities on the way of course, many ways to do it.

KosherNostra
Jan 1, 2005

WHERE DA PIRATES AT?

ZombieJesus posted:

Questions:
- Is Buenos Aires a good starting point, considering I want to be somewhere that will keep me entertained for a month or two while I do Spanish courses?

I'm just going to say this, but lots of foreigners pick Buenos Aires to speak spanish and I don't know why. Well, I do, but it's stupid and I can't really understand it. Yes, it's more "European", why foreigners want that is beyond me, I suppose so they can feel slightly more comfortable. However, the Spanish spoken in Argentina, lunfardo, isn't really spanish. Native speakers can understand one another fine, it's not that different, but many of the verbs have completely different conjugations and prononciations. I've met foreigners who studied "spanish" in Buenos Aires and then came to Peru and were having a hard time because:
-They barely learned the spanish to begin with, I mean full immersion or not, it's a whole new language and you have limited time
-The spanish they learned is virtually only spoken in Argentina (some Uruguay too)and as such they couldn't speak as fluently as they thought they could.

Sure, you'll have a good time in Buenos Aires and it's more "european", I suppose (good choice coming to South America for that...), but don't go there stating you're going to "learn spanish". There are various other places to learn spanish cheaper and far better. In the end, every person i've met who goes to Argentina to "learn spanish" really just wants to party and have a good time. That's fine, just know your priorities.

DustingDuvet posted:

KosherNostra answered the question pretty well. But tons of travelers go without Spanish. If you want to be able to communicate with locals, get a novia, etc. then its best to take an intensive 2 week/1 month spanish course in a city. Ecuador is known for speaking the clearest Spanish. Argentina not so much.

Ecuador? I've heard "so and so is known for the best Spanish" for about every other country in South America, the main ones being Peru and Colombia. So take that with a grain of salt.

KosherNostra
Jan 1, 2005

WHERE DA PIRATES AT?

dontpanic posted:

Is that just something you have to deal with if you visit Bolivia or Peru?

Just Bolivia. Bolivia and Brasil are the only countries in South America I believe charge U.S. passport holders a reciprocity fee.