Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
Well aren't I glad I found this thread?! I was going to go and book a flight to BA tomorrow.

So for the last year or so I've had a big plan to head to South America, learn spanish, buy a car and drive as far as I can across the continent. Insanity? death wish? awesome? please let me know.

Questions:
- Is Buenos Aires a good starting point, considering I want to be somewhere that will keep me entertained for a month or two while I do Spanish courses?
- Is it possible to immerse myself in the language to a degree where I'll be able to speak it enough to get by throughout SA (minus Brazil of course) in such a short time? (on a related note, does anyone know of good total immersion language courses in BA?)
- Is buying a car in BA at all possible/advisable, and how possible would it be to say... drive to Peru/Ecuador?
- I have both an Australian and Italian passport, is the Italian (EU) passport going to be better?
- Does this sound like a good way to see south america, considering I'll have 5 or 6 months (maybe more), or would you prefer to do it through standard long-distance travel methods?

This is by no means my first travel experience - I've done the touristy things through western europe, hired a car and driven around california and nevada, driven from Johannesburg to Capetown, etc, and I easily prefer driving over any other method of travel; in my opinion it is just the perfect way to see the country while having the flexibility to do whatever you want. However, this would be my longest driving effort, and I (currently) know next to no spanish (however, I'm looking to fix that).

STA travel has a sale in May on flights to Buenos Aires, ~au$2000 I think, which is an insanely good deal. However, I dont want to book that if theres somewhere better to live while I learn spanish, so please help! Otherwise I'll book that and try flying internally at first, is that easy/cheap?

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU