Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Savahontas
Jun 13, 2005

I say..
Yea buddy!
Rolling like a big shot,
Chevy tuned up like a Nascar pitstop
I very recently decided to try to backpack South America with some friends. My family has raised concerns about 4 women traveling alone in South America. I'm pretty sure they've been watching too much cable news, but I don't know how to convince them that there are perfectly safe countries in South America.

Am I wrong? Do you all have any suggestions for convincing tactics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savahontas
Jun 13, 2005

I say..
Yea buddy!
Rolling like a big shot,
Thanks, that's a good plan. Plus, that is excellent advice for planning a trip in general, even if my family wasn't acting so strangely.

Are there any places that I should DEFINITELY avoid? (Since I already have some excellent advice in this thread from where to definitely go :) ).

e: It occurs to me that was a pretty broad question. But I'm honestly just in the beginning stages of trying to plan this, so if it's too vague to answer, I understand.

I'd really like to see ruins and waterfalls. And the Amazon.

Just some basic googling found me: http://www.travel-amazing-southamerica.com/south-america-ruins.html and the wikipedia article about the Amazon basin.

wikipedia posted:

Amazonia is not heavily populated. There are a few cities along the Amazon's banks, such as Iquitos, Peru and scattered settlements inland, but most of the population lives in cities, such as Manaus and Belem in Brazil.

Do you all have any advice about Amazonian cities?

Savahontas fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 14, 2009

Savahontas
Jun 13, 2005

I say..
Yea buddy!
Rolling like a big shot,
That is fantastic advice, thanks. I would NEVER have thought of that birth control trick. :)

Savahontas
Jun 13, 2005

I say..
Yea buddy!
Rolling like a big shot,
Does anybody have any experience with WWOOF in Brazil?

http://www.wwoofbrazil.com/

We are looking specifically at Salvador, and how to get from Rio de Janeiro to there, in August. We're thinking about taking a bus, apparently it's the only way to really experience the jungle (and is only $30!).

What about can't miss spots around Salvador and Rio de Janeiro... on the super cheap? We'll probably be spending most of our time on the farm, but might have a few days in the cities. It seems like it'd be crazy to go all the way to Brazil without seeing a few sights.

Thanks, guys!

Savahontas fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Apr 8, 2009