Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
I'm going to Peru for two weeks on Thursday. The first week is pretty much booked up with the Inca Trail, but the second week is wide open. I'm thinking of either taking a bus/train to the Bolivian side of Lake Titicaca, or catching a flight to La Paz. Any suggestions, either about those ideas or other things I could do? I've already looked into jungle trips and I'm not really feeling them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

drat, my Irish passport gets me in with no visa and seemingly no other documentation, but my girlfriend is hosed (although she did go to Guatemala last summer, so maybe she has the vaccination). Thanks for the info.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

DustingDuvet posted:

Both countries use the same as the US plug sockets. I never had any sparks fly or broken mp3 players after charging my stuff so I have to assume the voltage is near the same as the US.

Peru uses the British 220V/50Hz standard (and I assume most other countries there do as well). Most battery chargers for laptops and such will list a voltage range on the charger, and most can handle this voltage. I would not plug something like an electric razor into the socket unless the AC adapter lists this voltage.

Also, the receptacles are not the same as US receptacles. They're similar, so a US plug might fit into them, but it's going to sit loosely, which is a fire/shock hazard.

Edit: Also, I didn't see a single receptacle there with a ground pin, so three-prong plugs won't fit at all.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 22, 2008

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Whitefish posted:

So can you buy Peruvian plug adaptors out there or are they hard to come by?

I didn't look when I was down there, but there were Radio Shacks and department stores in every city, not to mention the numerous travel/tourism agencies, so I'd be willing to bet that they're not hard to find.