Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElroySmin
Oct 21, 2005
So, I read the last SA thread planning my trip, so I might as well contribute what I can to this one. I just got back from almost 4 months travelling from Buenos Aires to Bogota (skipping some bits in between for time :(, of course), and have only now gotten around to putting up a photo album!
Anyway, this is mostly for friends and family, so alas (for you guys.. anyway, sweet for people who love my face) you'll be stuck looking at my dopey mug every 1/3rd shot or so, but it'll give you a good idea of what to expect on the gringo trail!
be warned: there are 500. i like pictures, sue me.
I halfassed location tagged them too, but it was to about the nearest province, so don't get bent out of shape if i tagged the wrong mountain range.
I'm going to work on making captions, check back soon!
Most of them were taken with a d40, a few with my olympus P&S, some of them i lost the cd/accidentally deleted them so you have to deal with facebook sized.

Onto the photos, bishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElroySmin
Oct 21, 2005

Pusscat posted:

Fantastic. Great photos! What was your best/worst bit?

That's a really tough decision. I lucked out something fierce when I first arrived: the first person I met on my first day asked me if I wanted to head over to her spanish school with her because they were buying tickets for the Boca Jrs/River Plate game that was happening that weekend. Score, Argentine soccer fans know how to get rowdy, that's for sure, and it was absolutely insane.

Other highlights: Seeing the mines at Potosi, bolivia as well as the salkantay trek in and around Cuzco/Machu Picchu, Peru. Random colombians (who, far more often than not were absolutely drop dead gorgeous) coming up and asking for a photo with you and then starting a conversation.

Lowlight: getting stranded by strikes, landslides, horrible roads and general pisspoor Bolivian (and to a lesser extent, Peruvian) transportation. On the Salkantay trek I also absolutely battered my knees, to the point where I couldn't properly walk for over 3 weeks afterwards, which made Lima, Mancora, Montanita and Quito a total writeoff. I was pretty pissed about that, I also had tonsilitis during that time. Thanks health.

ElroySmin
Oct 21, 2005

DustingDuvet posted:

I will start with the first story of my latest South American trip, which began in January.

Hah, this reminds me. One of my final nights out in colombia I was chilling at a bar (one of the bogota beer company pubs) where I started chatting with a group of colombian dudes sat at the table next to us. Their english was poor/nonexistent, and my spanish was passable at best, and when it came time to leave they kept on inviting me to "la piscina, vamonos a la piscina!"
It took me quite a while to realize why 4 people would be so insistent that we go swimming at 2am, and now i'm kind of gutted I didn't take them up on the offer, it would have made for an interesting story anyway.