Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
What's Mexico City like on Christmas day?

I'm considering taking a trip there, but I wonder if everything will be closed on one of my 12/13 days there.
I've run into this problem in other very Catholic countries over Easter.
I don't mind museums and attractions and shops being closed, but I'd at least like to be able to go to a restaurant.

Or is CDMX a big enough city that that's not going to be a problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Saladman posted:

I was there on Christmas a couple years ago. Pretty much everything was closed - my phone has literally zero photos taken on the 25th so I suspect everything was closed. 24th was fine - we went to the Sotomayor museum and the mall next to it was totally open and we saw Avatar 2, and 26th was fine and we went to Teotihuacan. It was with my family but we haven’t done anything for Christmas since I was a kid, not really an important holiday for us and we’re all pretty active, so us not leaving the house means that likely nothing was open.

I’m sure you can find somewhere to eat if you don’t rent a house, like inside a big hotel or something, but in general yes everything will be closed on the 25th.

Thanks, this is helpful!

Now I just need to think if I mind a quiet day with a meal in the hotel restaurant and maybe a walk in a park, or if I should plan to go in November or earlier in December instead

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Thanks for all the input, guys!

I've gone ahead and booked. Kind of weird to book this far in advance, but I got a nice flight deal and now I won't have to worry about it anymore. It's going to feel like a free vacation once the time comes

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Yeah, I'm definitely going to take it easy for at least a day and a half after arrival.

I'm flying in from the Netherlands (sea level or below lol) after a few days in Madrid, but Mexico is still quite a bit higher altitude. And I'm travelling West and arriving early in the evening, which is going to suck for jetlag/time zone stuff. It's always a gamble how I feel after pretty much a full day of travelling