Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Title says it all. Post a small description of what you're currently working on and add a bonus screenshot (because pictures are worth a thousand words).

I'd be interested in knowing what CoCers are working on, or what they have as side projects.

I'm learning PortAudio, a C library that allows you to send raw bytes to a sound buffer. You can do pretty much anything sound-related with it. Right now I'm trying to make a turntable-like sound player, that would allow you to "scratch" just like DJs do. I'm still at the very beginning, so all this program allows you to do is seeking and also real-time speed increase/decrease using the +/- keys. It also loops the sound perfectly. What you're seeing on this screenshot is a 10 second recording of a Daft Punk song, the red line is where the sound is at. At the bottom left is the buffer which I need to constantly refresh. If you're wondering, I'm using OpenGL / GLUT for the rendering.

If you don't have Plat or a server, and have been living under a rock for the past year, you can upload your screenshots to WaffleImages

go play outside Skyler fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 4, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

I broke down at how dated Winamp looked one day and decided this would be a good way to learn WPF and C#. Currently stalled since getting foobar to work almost the way I like it :)

Sterra
Jul 7, 2002

by Peatpot
A screenshot is somewhat redundant because it is a website but http://www.functionalforums.com/TreeForum/index/Pollin/Polling?formname=gas

Basically you can add the html inputs to a form and they will appear on a map when people vote. So you can see gas prices by location or who people voted for by location, etc. It isn't quite done yet though.

Alan Greenspan
Jun 17, 2001

My little platform-independent hex editor which supports Python scripting (and other scripting languages), a sweet plugin API, and other random stuff other hex editors don't have. You can find version 1.1.0 here. Version 1.2.0 will be released in a few days.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I'm also working on my own media player. I have all of my music organized by folder, and all of the other Linux media players I've tried emphasized tags too much, or just plain have lovely interfaces (XMMS). It's written in Python using PyGTK and PyGST. I originally wrote it in C++, but decided it'd be a fun project to re-write in Python.

It's functional, but not 100% done. Still need to add seeking with the progress bar and maybe a few other odds and ends.

Edit:
And now it's pretty much all done :toot:

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 4, 2008

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
shaim 0.4 is nearly done, and I need to take a new round of screenshots :v:

And so on

ImJasonH
Apr 2, 2004

RAMALAMADINGDONG!

As if it wasn't clear enough from the screenshot (:rolleyes: ), I'm working on a site where Warhammer 40k/Fantasy players can create and share army lists, comment on and rate them, print them out, etc. Basically, an ultra-simple Army Builder, online. Also my first in-depth experience with Python or Django, so far it's :cool:

The file open in the screenshot is an XML file defining all the units and options for one army (Chaos Space Marines). I spent all day working out five of these, and there's about 20 more to go :(

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS

video! http://heeen.de/proj/refract.avi

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I'm making a web game thats essentially a "black nova traders" from hell, with a heavy crafting component and real time combat using comet based server interaction.

Market. This is seeded, but in the final game, *everything* will be made by players, putting supply, demand and pricing entirely up to the playerbase.

Scanner. Checking out nearby star systems. The current galaxy has around 5000 solar systems. For the final thing I'm thinking of importing a full milky way star catalogue, and using the spectral classifications to allocate resources to the planets moons and asteroid belts, but if that doesnt work so well, I might just use a neat little algorithm I designed to create a full spiral galaxy of around 20K stars. I intend this bad boy to scale.

Drones and factories. I hate grind, so once you leave a mining drone at a belt or moon, it should continue to mine, delivering faithfully to its associated factory, until you stop it, or some fucker destroys it or the factory. Note the mini scanner at side. I might drop that , its kinda redundant.

Designing a factory. There are around 20 different factory components and an even larger amount of 'ingredients' and 'parts'. Theres been no graphics design here, as I'm still making this part work. Its more complex than I anticipated, but it sorta works. Note the graphviz generated schemas. I'm a little concerned the load they might put on a server, so I might push the graph generation client side to the browser

edit: fun things to note;- The automatic name generator my galaxy algorithm uses. Seems to generate some hilariously bogo-african sounding names. Needs a bit of work, and I might go for 'ethnic' flavors to system names depending on the galaxy arm, ie eastern-europe sounding for one arm, 'african' sounding for another, and perhaps 'asian' sounding for the third. Also note the negative cargo space in the first picture. Yeah, I'll get to that eventually :effort:

duck monster fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 5, 2008

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Here's my Point of Sale application. :c00l:

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

I think it's safe to say, from what's been posted so far, that CoCers are not good at design. (myself included)

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Yeah. Graphic design is not exactly my strongpoint. :(

Dr. Stupid
Feb 3, 2005

Oops, you're dead.

heeen posted:

video! http://heeen.de/proj/refract.avi

Is this you own algorithm or something you "just" implemented? Cause it looks pretty drat nice.

FigBug
Apr 27, 2002

Lemon Party - Lest we Forget
I wrote a cross platform (win, mac, linux) photo uploader for SmugMug. It uses JUCE for the UI, that's why it looks bizarre.

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS

Dr. Stupid posted:

Is this you own algorithm or something you "just" implemented? Cause it looks pretty drat nice.

It's actually not so big of a deal, just raycasting a refracted viewing vector in the fragment shader, which fragments can see which part of the underwater scene is the tricky part. The idea is from me and my CG professor for what you could call bachelor's thesis.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Sir Davey posted:

I think it's safe to say, from what's been posted so far, that CoCers are not good at design. (myself included)

Stock icons save the day :woop: Much better than the XPMs I barfed up for the C++ version.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

quote != edit

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

I'm currently in the design/procrastination stage of creating a C# version of my JavaScript Super Car Top Trumps, I think it'll be done in C# .NET 2.0 but I may download C# Express Edition 2008 and learn the new .NET 3 stuff like WPF.

The plan is to create a generic Top Trumps game engine to enable multiple types of games to be played (cars/planes/footballers/etc...), so I'm thinking of how best to implement a "deck" file, #cobol people suggested using a .zip with all the images & card data, which is the best I've seen so far.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

Alan Greenspan posted:

My little platform-independent hex editor which supports Python scripting (and other scripting languages), a sweet plugin API, and other random stuff other hex editors don't have. You can find version 1.1.0 here. Version 1.2.0 will be released in a few days.

Dude, Hexer is awesome. I only learned about it a week or so ago (from Havlar's blog) and so have a lot to learn still, but it rocks. Thanks for making hex editors not suck.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Just finished:
Online play for NBA Ballers: Chosen One

Side project:
SmokeAlarm: a client-server n-tier enterprise cigarette break notification platform

Today I added Zeroconf/Rendezvous/Bonjour support to SmokeAlarm, and found out that it's apparently impossible to make the .NET library ZeroconfNetServices work with the python pyzeroconf. I originally wrote the server in Python to make it as simple as possible, but I might end up rewriting it in C#, since I needed to write a C# app anyway to publish the Zeroconf service in a way that ZeroconfNetServices would apparently work with it.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
Been spending the last 2-3 weeks on the next version of my Facebook college app, Tassl. The next release introduces comparing of schedules with friends (so you can join classes your friends are in with a few clicks) and export into Outlook, iCal, Google Cal, and Yahoo Cal. I'm pretty excited since this release really brings the UI to the next level and is going to be the first one that might actually generate revenue.. I am going to charge users a micropayment to export their time schedule (they can choose anywhere from $1-$10, and will get a badge to show their support of my app.)

BillWh0re
Aug 6, 2001

Rewriting and hopefully finishing this in IDAPython (was in C++). It's for files without RTTI so there's no easy way to retreve class relationships.

Alan Greenspan posted:

This looks amazing. Eventually, every useful program will be scriptable in Python.

Inquisitus
Aug 4, 2006

I have a large barge with a radio antenna on it.
ScreenCap:

Just a screenshot program I guess. Allows for plugin capture sources and output destinations. I even took that screenshot with it :c00lbert:

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I'm working on McCLIM, a GUI toolkit. Here are some screenshots from applications that use it. I havenīt written all of these myself.

This is Climacs, an Emacs-like editor that I have written most of the code for.

This is Beirc, a pretty functional IRC client.

This is Gsharp, which apparently typesets musical notation very well.

Fancy GIF animation of cl-wav-synth.

And finally Closure, a surprisingly functional web browser.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Alan Greenspan posted:

This is neat, but it doesn't like it when I open large files. The structure viewer is also neat but it needs to be intergrated with the actual file display rather than a seperate window.

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!
There's two things I'm working on. First is an editor tool for creating landscapes. It's meant to generate, edit and export meshes and textures for use in a game I'm making. I'm currently figuring out how to do proper LOD for terrains.

The next one I will post so you can mock me. It's a deck building helper app for my son who really loves his Yu-Gi-Oh.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Madox posted:

There's two things I'm working on. First is an editor tool for creating landscapes. It's meant to generate, edit and export meshes and textures for use in a game I'm making. I'm currently figuring out how to do proper LOD for terrains.

The next one I will post so you can mock me. It's a deck building helper app for my son who really loves his Yu-Gi-Oh.

Out of curiosity, are you using any sort of UI toolkit for the terrain editor app, or is that just all stuff you did on your own?

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!

Nuke Mexico posted:

Out of curiosity, are you using any sort of UI toolkit for the terrain editor app, or is that just all stuff you did on your own?

That's all my own UI library and texture. It's still inefficient in dealing with text, but I think that's mostly DirectX's fault :)

Fenderbender
Oct 10, 2003

You have the right to remain silent.
Eh, nevermind.

Fenderbender fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 6, 2008

Twitchy
May 27, 2005

I feel like I should be the guy on the back of the short bus compared to the rest of you, but this is a small game I'm working on at Uni for a terrible Java module. The icons will be changed to something better when it's done, since it looks pretty terrible at the moment.

Alan Greenspan
Jun 17, 2001

Plastic Jesus posted:

Dude, Hexer is awesome. I only learned about it a week or so ago (from Havlar's blog) and so have a lot to learn still, but it rocks. Thanks for making hex editors not suck.

BillWh0re posted:

This looks amazing. Eventually, every useful program will be scriptable in Python.

gibbed posted:

This is neat, but it doesn't like it when I open large files. The structure viewer is also neat but it needs to be intergrated with the actual file display rather than a seperate window.

Thanks for your replies guys. If you're getting the out of heap space exception, that's because Java by default only allocates 64 MB for each process. One solution is to create a batch file that runs Hexer with "java -Xms256m -Xmx1024m -jar Hexer.jar". Another solution is to use the context menu in Windows Explorer (which you can enable in the settings). I hope that in one of the next versions I'll get to change file loading so that only the visible part of the file is loaded. This should cut down the memory needs drastically.

Adding the structure viewer to the hex windows makes sense. The file statistics stuff should probably be added there too.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Alan Greenspan posted:

Thanks for your replies guys. If you're getting the out of heap space exception, that's because Java by default only allocates 64 MB for each process. One solution is to create a batch file that runs Hexer with "java -Xms256m -Xmx1024m -jar Hexer.jar". Another solution is to use the context menu in Windows Explorer (which you can enable in the settings). I hope that in one of the next versions I'll get to change file loading so that only the visible part of the file is loaded. This should cut down the memory needs drastically.
Are you reading the entire file into memory? Because if you are, even 256MB won't help with the files I'm trying to open.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

gibbed posted:

Are you reading the entire file into memory? Because if you are, even 256MB won't help with the files I'm trying to open.

If you are on OS X, then Hex Fiend might be useful.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

tef posted:

If you are on OS X, then Hex Fiend might be useful.
I'm not, that looks nice for a simple hex editor, but I'm after one that allows you to define structures and build a tree of a file structure based on them.

BillWh0re
Aug 6, 2001

gibbed posted:

Wouldn't a memory mapped file help here or does Java not have any way of doing them?

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

BillWh0re posted:

Wouldn't a memory mapped file help here or does Java not have any way of doing them?

Java supports mmap'ed files:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/nio/MappedByteBuffer.html
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/nio/ByteBuffer.html
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/nio/channels/FileChannel.html

chips
Dec 25, 2004
Mein Führer! I can walk!
A rooms browser and selection system for my college (basically halls of residence).

Front page

Example staircase of rooms

Example room, with survey from individual currently in there

When it comes to your turn to choose a room, you get this page

We ran it over the weekend for people choosing rooms for their third year and it performed very well - though maybe it was a tad heavy on the server with people repeatedly refreshing to see who's chosen what room.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Behold, for the first time ever witnessed on the Internet!

My very first Django project, a humor web site with no moderators, or content writers. Administrated in part by an electronic judge but more than anything else it's controlled by the users.

Anyone can end up having any of their privileges given or taken away at any time! Hilarious.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Nolgthorn posted:

Behold, for the first time ever witnessed on the Internet!

My very first Django project, a humor web site with no moderators, or content writers. Administrated in part by an electronic judge but more than anything else it's controlled by the users.

Anyone can end up having any of their privileges given or taken away at any time! Hilarious.

An unmoderated humor site faces grave danger of degenerating into a cesspit of horrible racism :(

Now,

Re the python thing. Try using IronPython. Works with most python libraries, but should happily be able to work with most anything dot net, and seems to be able to generate happy enough dot net assemblies, etc.

Re the terrain thing. Shouldn't ROAM be able to handle the LOD thing? I've only read the algorithm, but as I understand it ROAM should handle that sort of thing like a champ,.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Nebby, what JS library are you using for that? I've been looking for ages for a day-view calendar for the work timesheeting app. My current hack based one sucks balls.