Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

duck monster posted:

Nebby, what JS library are you using for that? I've been looking for ages for a day-view calendar for the work timesheeting app. My current hack based one sucks balls.
Sorry, not using a library, or JS for that matter :) It's just some custom code developed in OpenLaszlo (generated into SWF.) It's custom because I wanted the time blocks animatable and also because I needed a UI that lets the user easily choose between various choices on the calendar (for example, you might be able to switch a block between 5 different lab sections.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Ah SWF. Fair enough.

I played around a while back with OpenLaszlo, but all that XML made me want to violently assault people.

Barrackas
Aug 12, 2007
Couple of pics from my Java3D terrain program (done for my dissertation)

Hazy hills...

Stars coming out at night...

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

duck monster posted:

An unmoderated humor site faces grave danger of degenerating into a cesspit of horrible racism :(

I mean though, that's the point, if all people want to talk about all day long is friend of the family this and... I dunno whatever. Then that's what they'll talk about until a bunch of people who don't want to talk about that show up.

Then they could all war with each other like a huge Internet poo poo pile of the highest stinky magnitude.

That's funny no, no real rules but temporary rules that could be instated at any time by anyone about anything?

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 9, 2008

Alan Greenspan
Jun 17, 2001

gibbed posted:

Are you reading the entire file into memory? Because if you are, even 256MB won't help with the files I'm trying to open.

Yeah, I am reading the entire file into memory.

There are two main problems that need to be solved before I can move to something less memory-intensive. The first requirement I have is that I need to support undo/redo which gets tricky if you don't load the entire file into memory since you have to keep track of deletions/insertions and their effect on addresses/the file. The other requirement is that whatever the solution to the first requirement is, it needs to be totally transparent to people who write plugins and scripts. For plugins and scripts the whole thing needs to behave exactly like a flat array of bytes.

Anyway, other hex editors have solved this problem too so I'll probably find a decent solution. It's planned for one of the next three updates.

Digital Spaghetti
Jul 8, 2007
I never gave a reach-around to a spider monkey while reciting the Pledge of Alligence.

Barrackas posted:

Couple of pics from my Java3D terrain program (done for my dissertation)

Hazy hills...

Stars coming out at night...

Very nice! Kinda looks like Stellarium in the night shot. What sort of FPS do you get with Java for games?

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

Alan Greenspan posted:

There are two main problems that need to be solved before I can move to something less memory-intensive. The first requirement I have is that I need to support undo/redo which gets tricky if you don't load the entire file into memory since you have to keep track of deletions/insertions and their effect on addresses/the file. The other requirement is that whatever the solution to the first requirement is, it needs to be totally transparent to people who write plugins and scripts. For plugins and scripts the whole thing needs to behave exactly like a flat array of bytes.
Keeping a map of edited blocks in a tree comes to mind, along with offering a byte index abstraction for both plugins and your undo-redo manager.

Undo-redo can be maintained fairly easily if you keep a stack of undo-redo function pairs, as even if most of the functions on the stack would be invalid at a given point, whatever's at the top of the stack will necessarily be valid. (This is only true if you can model the actions of your application as discrete state transitions I guess)

take boat fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 8, 2008

j4cbo
Nov 1, 2004
huh?

My kernel. :clint:

The design is basically UNIX-like, with the usual protected preemptive multitasking and fork(), exec(), wait(). There are a bit over twenty system calls total. I wrote it for an OS class, but then added some extra stuff like COW and SMP support. It's around 5700 lines of mostly C, some asm.

This summer's project: scheduler activations! :suicide:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The next version of nzbdStatus. So much to code, so little time.

Edit: It's a Firefox extension for making using a newsgroup daemon easier.

Lank
Sep 16, 2002

WHERE IS THE CHANCELLOR?!

Very very early shot of a game I've been working on for a few months now. I want it to be like football manager....but instead of soccer it's inmates bludgeoning each other with crowbars and stabbing each other with shanks.

I've got game objects, a particle system, a lovely looking scoreboard and an update loop based on a target for each player. Far from finished but it's a fun little hobby.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DacTheHork
Apr 25, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Hork Racing

I am going to stop working on it unfortunately and do a different project using .NET. It was made in Torque Game Engine.

Game in Action : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBqOZSC2D7U

DacTheHork fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 9, 2008

oldyogurt
Aug 14, 2004

Son of a--
Muldoon
Hey what's up! Never posted in CoC before as I'm usually drawing over at Creative convention. But I did manage to make a playable version of a project game this week.

Dotman: Planet

It's a flash game that has elements projected in 3d.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
My first WPF project and I'm kind of diving in the deep end. It'll be a Visual Studio style docking control for WPF. Layout, resizing, window content and tabbing all work now, floating/dragging and pinning are next.

code:
<dock:DockManager>
  <dock:SplitPanel dock:DockManager.CellSize="250" dock:DockManager.Dock="Right">
    <dock:DockWindowGroup>
      <dock:DockWindow Title="Window 1">
        <TextBox />
      </dock:DockWindow>
      <dock:DockWindow Title="Window 2">
        <TextBox />
    </dock:DockWindowGroup>
  </dock:SplitPanel>
  <dock:SplitPanel dock:DockManager.CellSize="250" dock:DockManager.Dock="Bottom">
    <dock:SplitPanel>
      <dock:DockWindowGroup>
        <dock:DockWindow Title="Window 6">
          <TextBox />
        <dock:DockWindow Title="Window 7">
          <TextBox />
=

(The window tabs will looks cooler when it's done)

Barrackas
Aug 12, 2007

Digital Spaghetti posted:

Very nice! Kinda looks like Stellarium in the night shot. What sort of FPS do you get with Java for games?
Thanks! You can actually get pretty decent framerates in J3D, but you really have to work for them sometimes when doing large meshes (like terrain). It does have some nice built-in optimisations though, I got a big boost just from the automatic frustrum culling by splitting the terrain down into patches. I wouldn't really recommend using Java3D though, the reference material online is pretty woeful.

Barrackas fucked around with this message at 10:30 on May 11, 2008

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Comprehensive file association editor for windows, with focus on usability. Designed for Vista, plays nice with UAC, but most file association stuff can be set as a user preference anyway. I'll be posting a thread in SH/SC for feedback when it's done.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Been working on what could be described as a "Read only softswitch" for SIP. In a nutshell I take a metric assload of SIP signaling rebuild the calls and generate a bunch of call statistics on them. System runs independent of whatever switch you are using to route traffic and as long as you're vaguely RFC compliant should work on any network. Stats are exported as SNMP OIDs and graphed in our corporate monitoring system. Stats are a little more jumpy then usual in the shots due to it being a weekend and call volume being low.

Here are the stats for our major termination carriers.

Average Call Duration - Average length of calls connected.

Answer Seizure Rate - % of calls that were connected.

Call Attempts - Count of connection attempts.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 11, 2008

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

j4cbo posted:

My kernel. :clint:
gently caress YEAH PEBBLES

at the moment, I am focusing on LLVM with some random CUDA bits here and there. proofs of concept and what-not.

Professor Science fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 11, 2008

HIERARCHY OF WEEDZ
Aug 1, 2005

A command line based feed reader that integrates with NewsGator (the same online syncing repository that NetNewsWire for OS X and FeedDemon for Windows use).

Hooray! It's on GitHub here and I write about it here.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Here is my latest and greatest static blog management tool:

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

A 3D remake of The Amazing Labyrinth, built from scartch (no engine or framework) with C++ and DirectX.

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry

A 3d game me and my friend are working on for our degree. Started from scratch, done in C++/DirectX. We're using Ageia PhysX for the physical simulation side of the things.

We're still in the process of begging our friends for textures and models, so far only the Cube we're in is fully done - doors and boxes have the same texture as the walls because we still don't have anything (good) to substitute it with.

Right now the brightness is pumped way up for us to see everything very clearly - The room itself is going to be darker with a little glow shader where the little lamps are. The engine is mostly finished so we're hoping for a smooth sailing up to the presentation.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Zagrod posted:

words

Are you making a game version of Cube? That was a great movie.

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry
Thats what it boils down to pretty much

mantaworks
May 6, 2005

by Fragmaster
If you're stupid enough to take any hint at all from the cube 2:hypercube I will get my driver's liscense, go on a roadtrip, spend weeks learn polish and finding out where you live so I can slap my dick against your face until you pass out.

Trust me on this.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

mantaworks posted:

If you're stupid enough to take any hint at all from the cube 2:hypercube I will get my driver's liscense, go on a roadtrip, spend weeks learn polish and finding out where you live so I can slap my dick against your face until you pass out.

Trust me on this.

What? I'm not saying it was a good movie (in fact it sucked) but it had some cool things going, like the opposite gravity rooms and dilated-time chambers (slow-mo rooms).

mantaworks
May 6, 2005

by Fragmaster

Sir Davey posted:

What? I'm not saying it was a good movie (in fact it sucked) but it had some cool things going, like the opposite gravity rooms and dilated-time chambers (slow-mo rooms).

Because every single death in Hypercube made me smack my head in disbelief. The ones that might work in a game, such as the opposite gravity rooms were in the first movie too or, like the the slomo room, spells "crappy unplayable gimmick". I'm also pissed that they had a great movie with the cube and had to gently caress up a good thing with hypercube.

emozilla
May 26, 2007
SIEG HEIL BOY I'M FROM SOUTH GERMANY

I'm a principal developer of this product at work. It's an engineering package used in development of automotive electronics.

Daddy Fantastic
Jun 22, 2002

For the glory of FYAD
Amazon ECS search API doesn't always work too well:

Tron Paul
Dec 5, 2006

Remaking Zelda 3 with Torque on OS X (despite Constructor's wishes):

This is all the opening zone from the beginning of the original, sans storm and nighttime. Take a look at the terrible house model (still a WIP):

As you can see, I'm not very good with modeling yet. I can figure out textures okay, but I'm still trying to get the hang of all this stuff. I decided to start the project on a whim, and my girlfriend is contributing ideas and such. At this pace it will be about a year or so before it's even playable, but we'll see what happens!

Edit: I know, it's looking a bit more Bavarian than Hyrule has traditionally looked, but eh.

Tron Paul fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 13, 2008

Digital Spaghetti
Jul 8, 2007
I never gave a reach-around to a spider monkey while reciting the Pledge of Alligence.

usingpond posted:

Remaking Zelda 3 with Torque on OS X (despite Constructor's wishes):

What version of Torque are you using? I still have a copy of the origional version and I'm wondering if it's worth paying the $50 for the update. I've owned the engine for 7 years now, and I still haven't done anything with it :/ But I hear development on Linux has improved.

Tron Paul
Dec 5, 2006

Digital Spaghetti posted:

What version of Torque are you using? I still have a copy of the origional version and I'm wondering if it's worth paying the $50 for the update. I've owned the engine for 7 years now, and I still haven't done anything with it :/ But I hear development on Linux has improved.

1.5.2, I think. Constructor is officially 1.0 and not working with Leopard, but there's a 1.1 or something beta out there I'm using that works well. Well enough, at least.

Lamb-Blaster 4000
Sep 20, 2007

I'm Making a bot to automatically send rent and utility bills to my roommates every month.

It tallies the regular stuff for them- their portion of each utility, plus any house extras that need to be divided, or personal extras to account.

It gets all its information using the Excel interop COM services to read the spreadsheet for the current month, so I don't have to make my own proprietary spreadsheet program, or long ugly GUI.

More than anything this was an exercise in C# / Excel mashup. I'll definitely have other more useful applications for this knowledge in the future.

Also, just for shits and giggles it has its own email address and checks its inbox on an hourly basis.

It also continues to pester roomates that are slow on paying their bills.

Everything is automated, the GUI is just a form with a text window that displays a log of actions, and a drop down to send any roommate their bills.

Its name is bills-a-bot. :iamafag:

Kerris
Jul 12, 2006
Don't you fucking dare compliment a woman's voice on the forums, you fucking creepy stalker.

Zagrod posted:

<snip> The engine is mostly finished so we're hoping for a smooth sailing up to the presentation.
Awesome stuff. How far are you into this game/degree?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
My stuff isn't nearly as cool as other people's (yet!), but I'm working on a Subversion repository browser for Windows that looks like a network drive (god I hate COM programming). It doesn't do anything with Subversion yet, but you can browse an infinite set of useless directories!

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry

Kerris posted:

Awesome stuff. How far are you into this game/degree?

The deadline is exactly one month from now, so we're almost finished. My friend is doing post-processing shaders, and I'm touching up stuff in PhysX so that it feels "right" for a game.

I'll probably do some extra touches, to make the game more playable, during the summer and upload it somewhere, because I feel it's too cool to have it done just for the degree and not show it around. I'm pretty sure I won't upload the source code though, because I'd have to get a plastic surgery and move to India to work with computers again.

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS

Zagrod posted:

Are the broken walls modelled or do you use some kind of procedural shader to generate the plaster?

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry
It's the model

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Zagrod posted:

I'm pretty sure I won't upload the source code though, because I'd have to get a plastic surgery and move to India to work with computers again.

Because it's so bad that America would excommunicate you? :v:

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry
I'm pretty sure that while writing stuff at 4am I wrote some pretty bad hacks that would make Bjarne disavow C++ because of the rape I've committed on the art of programming using it, so yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

FatCow posted:

Been working on what could be described as a "Read only softswitch" for SIP. In a nutshell I take a metric assload of SIP signaling rebuild the calls and generate a bunch of call statistics on them. System runs independent of whatever switch you are using to route traffic and as long as you're vaguely RFC compliant should work on any network. Stats are exported as SNMP OIDs and graphed in our corporate monitoring system. Stats are a little more jumpy then usual in the shots due to it being a weekend and call volume being low.

Here are the stats for our major termination carriers.

Average Call Duration - Average length of calls connected.

Answer Seizure Rate - % of calls that were connected.

Call Attempts - Count of connection attempts.

That looks curiously like RRDTool's graphs... the fonts, layout, everything...

It could almost be Cacti with a custom theme......