Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!

Nuke Mexico posted:

One of the few reasonable STL re-implementations was done for the pupose of exposing more memory-management options, i.e. using a pool- or cached allocator of some point, so I might be able to buy that. There's almost never any excuse for re-implementing your own vector or linked list or hash table yourself "because it is faster" because it almost certainly never is.

Link to dis:
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2007/n2271.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
After fixing a number of weird bugs I decided to tidy up the application a bit.

I have also replaced the exe's icon with a picture of the ceo - and renamed the release 'Galloping Gareth' as it is his fault we are using vb.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
I've been working on Project Fred off and on for a while now.

It's based on Project Dolphin, which ran for a while about 4-5 years ago. It's just a program that runs in the background, counting your keystrokes and mouse actions. You can then submit the counts to the fred website and get ranked against other users. Totally pointless!

I keep meaning to update it (especially since I fixed a bug in the mouse distance calculation since the last release) but life has a nasty habit of getting in the way.

I also had to endure the horrors of PHP writing the joomla plugin for the fred website. It's a joomla plugin cos some dude asked me to integrate it into his joomla site cos he figured he could make millions of dollars out of it somehow. As far as I know, he's got about 6 users that have made a submission.

beuges fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 9, 2008

Wuen Ping
Feb 2, 2007

MrMoo posted:

Read and weep, pretty lame discussion here:

http://lists.trolltech.com/qt4-preview-feedback/2004-09/msg00019.html

Wow. Thanks for that link. I had never seen their "rationale" (such as it is) laid out quite like that before. It just goes to show that library quality and code quality need not be in lockstep. Qt is a great library that just happens to contain lots of painfully bad code.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

tripwire posted:

Thanks, good stuff to know.
Are you able to use the GPU to speed vector math/physics yet? Have they got around to enabling that, because I seem to remember that being like the killer selling point of it.
The problem with accelerating physics calculation is the latency, which is still a bit too high for comfort when doing gameplay-critical physics.

Nuke Mexico posted:

NIH syndrome at its worst
It's not really NIH when flaws with STL are frequently cited in the reasons for making them.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

OneEightHundred posted:

It's not really NIH when flaws with STL are frequently cited in the reasons for making them.

And then they go and invent an even more flawed set of libraries. :pwn:

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Anode posted:

A Web front-end for NodeBox's Colors library, built with Appengine. It's at http://colorspinner.appspot.com if anybody wants to mess around with it.

EDIT: VVV Thanks, fixed it.

You can use NodeBox's Colors library on GAE? I was going to deploy my color-related application to GAE but it used PIL and GAE doesn't support PIL at the moment. I peeked in the source for NodeBox and it seemed to use either CoreImage or PIL depending on what you had installed - I couldn't find any documentation for CoreImage online so I'm not really sure what it is. Can you retrieve a list of colors from an image on GAE with the NodeBox library?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

OneEightHundred posted:

To be fair though, every case of "Not-Invented-Here" Syndrome I've ever dealt with in the past by rationalization of "flaws" in the 3rd party system which are either

(a) imagined/spawned from ignorance ("STL is so slooow"),
(b) superficial ("I don't like the style of STL or templates :colbert:"),
(c) not repaired in the replacement implementation, which may usually be less-featured ("Well I hate iterators, so I just wrote my own version of the library that just doesn't have them" or "STL was so complicated and totally overkill to use, so I wrote my own memory-managed hash-map system. Here's the PDF describing the interface"), and/or
(d) replaced with far worse flaws ("Yeah, it crashes when you try to allocate a new array every so often, so keep an eye on that...")

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Nuke Mexico posted:

To be fair though, every case of "Not-Invented-Here" Syndrome I've ever dealt with in the past by rationalization of "flaws" in the 3rd party system
Well, I meant fairly rational reasons, i.e. executable size reduction on the order of several megabytes, bloated interfaces that make extension difficult, and poor allocator support.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

OneEightHundred posted:

Well, I meant fairly rational reasons, i.e. executable size reduction on the order of several megabytes, bloated interfaces that make extension difficult, and poor allocator support.

Fair enough. Code size bloat due to templates and allocation support are definitely the most valid reasons I've heard

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

OneEightHundred posted:

The problem with accelerating physics calculation is the latency, which is still a bit too high for comfort when doing gameplay-critical physics.
I'm not doing gameplay critical physics!! I just want to accelerate those sick rear end symplectic partitioned range kutta integration algorithms from ODE but since physx is supposed to have some GPU future on the horizon I thought it was worth asking.

SuperFurryAnimal
May 10, 2004
Super Furry Animal
I've been developing techniques for the realtime procedural animation of assorted creatures for my Ph.D. The idea is that all animation is driven by the creature's embodiment in the environment, taking a lot of inspiration from AI, robotics and ethology.

Video from last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1P_B65XW4I

Most of the work has concentrated on Spiders, although I'm currently extending the simulation to cover creatures of similar morphology (body close to ground, legs in parallel), such as insects and lizards.

SuperFurryAnimal fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 12, 2008

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

SuperFurryAnimal posted:

I've been developing techniques for the realtime procedural animation of assorted creatures for my Ph.D. The idea is that all animation is driven by the creature's embodiment in the environment, taking a lot of insperation from AI, robotics and ethology.

Most of the work has concentrated on Spiders, although I'm currently extending the simulation to cover creatures of similar morphology (body close to ground, legs in parallel), such as insects and lizards.

That's absolutely amazing. Awesome job!

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

SuperFurryAnimal posted:

I've been developing techniques for the realtime procedural animation of assorted creatures for my Ph.D. The idea is that all animation is driven by the creature's embodiment in the environment, taking a lot of inspiration from AI, robotics and ethology.

Wow, that is a pretty darn cool thesis project. Did you work on the latest Indy movie? :)

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry

SuperFurryAnimal posted:

That looks fantastic

Anode
Dec 24, 2005

Nail me to my car and I'll tell you who you are

ashgromnies posted:

You can use NodeBox's Colors library on GAE?
Not for what you're trying to do, unfortunately, but 90% of it is pure Python and works fine. I had to serialize all the XML files into the datastore because of the file limit and pass the ranges in directly, but you only need to do that if you're messing around with themes.

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

SuperFurryAnimal posted:

Pretty please post more details!!!!!

Wuen Ping
Feb 2, 2007

SuperFurryAnimal posted:

Very impressive! That motion is spot on. It's ironic that in the pre-friction sequence with the blocks, the spider looks almost completely real, and the much simpler blocks are what look fake.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
That spider is absolutely terrifying.
What progress have you made with your thesis? What remains to be done?
Do you ahve some other animal videos?

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

SuperFurryAnimal posted:

Holy cow. Can you give more details on what technology makes this possible? That's awesome.

SuperFurryAnimal
May 10, 2004
Super Furry Animal

ashgromnies posted:

Holy cow. Can you give more details on what technology makes this possible? That's awesome.
I've written a decent summary of the simulation as it currently stands, but I can't get to it at the moment - I'll post it in the next few days.

Basically, the core technologies are a fully physically simulated figure (rigid body hierarchy with powered joints), inverse dynamics (limb movements), robotic/ethology inspired gait controllers, and a lot of self-organisation. The animation is a result of the (mostly indirect) feedback between many self-regulating simulatory components, which all act in some way to maintain balance.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

SuperFurryAnimal posted:

I've written a decent summary of the simulation as it currently stands, but I can't get to it at the moment - I'll post it in the next few days.

Basically, the core technologies are a fully physically simulated figure (rigid body hierarchy with powered joints), inverse dynamics (limb movements), robotic/ethology inspired gait controllers, and a lot of self-organisation. The animation is a result of the (mostly indirect) feedback between many self-regulating simulatory components, which all act in some way to maintain balance.

This is really cool. You might find Real-time Motion Retargeting to Highly Varied User-Created Morphologies (Spore's procedural animation) interesting, although I'm sure your techniques create much more realistic animation for spiders.

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

SuperFurryAnimal posted:

This is so loving cool, do you mind if I bug you with questions on it in the future (working on a somewhat related project myself)?

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
A command line version of Windows Update written in C# using wuapi.dll. This allows me to script updates as part of the build process for the machines we sell. I whipped this up last night, it's based off my original version which was in VBScript. I have to clean up the text and add the command line args - this was more of a proof of concept and my first time using Interop in .NET.

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT SPAMMING THE REPORT FORUM TO PROTECT ~MY WIFE'S~ OKCUPID PERSONALS ANALYSIS SA-MART THREAD. DO IT. ALL THE TIME. CONSTANTLY. IF SHE DOESN'T HAVE THE THREAD, SHE'LL WANT TO TALK TO ME!

Richard Noggin posted:

A command line version of Windows Update written in C# using wuapi.dll. This allows me to script updates as part of the build process for the machines we sell. I whipped this up last night, it's based off my original version which was in VBScript. I have to clean up the text and add the command line args - this was more of a proof of concept and my first time using Interop in .NET.

This seems like a really cool project. I would much rather command line update than use the windows default tool.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
Once it's further along, I'll post it. I wouldn't mind source code critique either.

zootm
Aug 8, 2006

We used to be better friends.
For what it's worth you've spelt "following" as "follwing" in "Adding the following updates to the collection".

Intel Penguin
Sep 14, 2007
hooray

ODC posted:

Here is something I got finished with not too long ago. I work in the Serious Game / Simulation Industry and this screen shot is from a product we are working on to train US Army Combat Medics.

This is a screen shot that I took right before I added in blood pooling, so you're not getting to see the big glop of red pouring out of his leg.

For some reason, this sticks out to me as bullshit. That's not a screenshot, it's a photo. Unless the device is part of the sim, but that doesn't make sense.

And how exactly are you training medics with this?

Dec 4, 2004

Intel Penguin posted:

For some reason, this sticks out to me as bullshit. That's not a screenshot, it's a photo. Unless the device is part of the sim, but that doesn't make sense.

Have you not seen a PDA emulator before? Generally they have a frame that is a photo of the device, and the buttons and so forth react to mouse clicks. This is the simplest way to test such software (since reloading an emulator is much quicker than transferring the program to a physical device, and emulators can't be bricked).

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Intel Penguin posted:

And how exactly are you training medics with this?

Combat medics learn to stabilize and triage. They're not learning surgery here, they're learning the steps necessary to stop someone from dying on the battlefield when, for example, their leg has been blown off.

Digital Spaghetti
Jul 8, 2007
I never gave a reach-around to a spider monkey while reciting the Pledge of Alligence.

SnurlIt

My first released AIR app. Pretty lovely looking, but it does what it says on the tin. Hoping to come up with something a bit more clever next time. Should be able to post screenshots next week of some stuff we're doing at work which is much nicer.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Digital Spaghetti posted:

SnurlIt

My first released AIR app. Pretty lovely looking, but it does what it says on the tin. Hoping to come up with something a bit more clever next time. Should be able to post screenshots next week of some stuff we're doing at work which is much nicer.

I was about to reply that I just saw this on Lifehacker or TUAW or something, but a quick search of my Google Reader showed that it was actually just the CoC aggregator.

So congratulations on making it to THE FRONT PAGE of sn.printf.net.

Digital Spaghetti
Jul 8, 2007
I never gave a reach-around to a spider monkey while reciting the Pledge of Alligence.

more falafel please posted:

I was about to reply that I just saw this on Lifehacker or TUAW or something, but a quick search of my Google Reader showed that it was actually just the CoC aggregator.

So congratulations on making it to THE FRONT PAGE of sn.printf.net.

HUR!

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

more falafel please posted:

sn.printf.net.

By the way, who's in charge of that? The main page links to a thread that's been archived.

zootm
Aug 8, 2006

We used to be better friends.

Factor Mystic posted:

By the way, who's in charge of that? The main page links to a thread that's been archived.
tef runs it. He's often on IRC if nothing else.

iso butts m4mm
Apr 18, 2008
(_(__ (_(__
Lately I've been using a Vicon mocap system a lot for work so I wrote an OpenGL program to visualize data it exports in C3D format:

Just points:

Points + history:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Factor Mystic posted:

reporting in!

I know the thread is archived, but I have nothing better to link to.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
I've been working on ErisMUD for a few years now. It's a MUD server and engine, with easy room/NPC/item creation.

A screenshot doesn't say much but here's one anyway.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Factor Mystic posted:

I saw you tried to catch me on irc - if you dump me an email to tef at printf.net I can add your rss/atom feed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
Not nearly as impressive as most of the other stuff in this thread, but I just finished the realtime lighting engine for my stealth game! Whoo!

(Linked for ~1MB gif)
https://wi.somethingawful.com/17/1782c8630c19e60efb5ab8a877136696a76aba73.gif

EDIT: With a different tileset:

Jo fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 28, 2008